The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unitor 8 Mk1, Running through MIDI in/out on 003 Rack MIDI Processors
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Unitor 8 Mk1, Running through MIDI in/out on 003 Rack

Hello,

I need a decent sized MIDI interface and have found a decent priced Unitor 8 Mk.1. Problem is, it only has serial/parallel ports and no USB.

Ive read in this thread:

Cubase.net .:::. View topic - eMagic Unitor 8 (mac serial port version) with Cubase 5

that you can use it by almost cascading everything through the first set of MIDI IN/OUTS. I own a 003 rack which has a set of MIDI IN/OUTS which could interface with the first set on the Unitor 8.

I'm just not sure if I've grasped the concept of this right? Is what I've described possible?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

Fred
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi Fred,

Just pick up a used Emagic AMT8 on ebay - they are all usb - 8 tracks and can be had for under $100 - flat out awesome - just a non-smpte version of the Unitor - Be careful though - if you are running windows - there is still no windows 7 driver - although I can send you the windows xp driver if u need it!! It is perfect for mac use though (what i use) - I have 2 of them chained - and they work perfectly!!!

Good Luck,

Charlie
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the reply! I had looked into this, but I'm from the UK and the only ones going over here at the moment seem to be Unitor 8 Mk1's! I let a Mk.2 slip through my hands last week as well tutt.

The thing is about the Mk.1's is that they seem to be going for half the price compared to the Mk.2's with the same functionality (apart from the USB port of course!) So it would save me a lot of time and money to grab a Mk.1 and try and get it to work! However, it's looking increasingly slim that this will be the case haha.

I've got my eye on a few smaller interfaces (4x4, 5x5) as the only other 8x8 are MOTU's which are brand new and are far to expensive for my budget!

I think the solution is to either grab two of these smaller interfaces or hold off and wait for a Unitor 8 Mk.2 to pop up!

Thanks again for your input Charlie!

Fred
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi Fred,

Wow - there are 7 AMT8's on ebay usa right now - some have worldwide shipping. I would beg/plead and send the money upfront - just to get one of these - if you need it right now - Most people will ship it and just charge actual shipping!

By the way are you using a mac? Because the drivers are automatically supported in Logic - if not watch out for Emagic was bought out by apple and is no longer in business. I would view usb as a must - so if you update your computer - you don't make vers 1 unitor obsolete!

Keep trying - you'll get one - the good thing about these is they are made to last (the hardware anyway)!!!

Charlie
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

There are also - 5 Unitor8's on ebay usa - one mkii ends in 8hrs - and has no bids at $50!!!
Old 27th December 2010
pan
Lives for gear

Ebay.de Germany is your friend!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow, thanks for all your replies!

The problem with buying from the US, is that I have to pay customs which is at least £8 ($12) + 20%. So even if I get one for $50, I have to pay £45 shipping, plus £8, plus 20%, which roughly totals £100 ($153 USD) plus I'd have to wait weeks to receive it!

I've just checked eBay.de and there's going for 5 EUR at the moment! Plus, no customs tax which seems like the place to go!

Thanks again for the help!!

Fred
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

We Got Your back Fred!!!

thumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Hello everyone!

Just giving you a heads up, that I managed to finally get myself a Unitor 8 Mk.II from Germany for around £115 - which is a good enough price for me!

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Fred

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search