The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Glitch FX...?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Glitch FX...?

Ok guys.. a topic I'm sure has been discussed around here a lot! I'm looking to do some glitch work on the intro guitar parts on this track:

I'm recording vocals and mixing this track next month sometime so I want to get to grips with this effect in the next few weeks.

How are you guys doing your glitch FX? Are you using software or manually editing the parts?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

dblue glitch
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblekiduk View Post
dblue glitch
Sounds perfect BUT.. forgot to mention that I'm using logic on a mac....Any other ideas for that?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Sugarbytes Effectrix works on multiple platforms; otherwise, ImageLine Gross Beat, SmartElectronics LiveCut.

I'd recommend doing the shuffling with the software and applying the various effects that drop in as inserts manually; the shuffling is usually the tedious work that needs only a few personal touch-ups, but the software generally has no idea whether the effects actually sound good - humans do this better.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sugarbytes Effectrix works good on Macs with Logic. Worth a look?
They got some Christmas deals on at the moment too.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

there are a few threads on this. try the search function. you'll get more options listed than any 3 people can think of!

here's some places to look though

smartelectronix.com :: free and donationware music plugins

Little Endian

Buffeater | Twisted Tools

Audio Damage :: Effects
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
there are a few threads on this. try the search function. you'll get more options listed than any 3 people can think of!

here's some places to look though

smartelectronix.com :: free and donationware music plugins

Little Endian

Buffeater | Twisted Tools

Audio Damage :: Effects
Thanks for the thread killer! I have had a quick search of course...And thanks for the suggestions everyone.

All joking aside.. I quite like to get everyone's up to date views on glitch FX..

I've downlaoded the Effectrix demo and Sound toys demo..

Anything else I should look out for?
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Glitch FX...?

Audio damage replicant is cool too.

The best glitches are done by hand.

Maybe take a bit from a plugin but put the best bits together by hand.

Also try Granite. It's a granular sampler. You can get some interesting slices and stutters. But you may want to filter them with additional plugs.
Old 26th December 2010
+1 on doing it manually, just zoom in and get messing with the audio.
Old 26th December 2010
I really wish they had an AU version of Glitch. It seems to be the best one. I use Effectrix and LiveCut. As mentioned you really need to bounce them down to audio then cut and paste the best bits.

Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Glitch FX...?

The problem I have with glitch is you can tell it's glitch.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The problem with dblueglitch is that it's cliche.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
The problem I have with glitch is you can tell it's glitch.
people say the same thing about the machinedrum. you just have to try harder.

there is always a way to use something in a non-obvious way.

with any tool, people tend to do whatever is easiest with it... instead of putting your drums or vocals through it try just putting the reverb through it or just the hi hats or just the snare or just a delay or whatever. don't make the "lead" in the song. push it to the back ground.

i like to use things like that on a send instead of an insert because you get the dry sound in the mix as well. on drums it can make things sound poly rhythmic.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
I just use renoise.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

+1 on Renoise
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Can't believe nobody is using a Kaoss pad for this stuff. Granulizer and looper settings make wonderful glitches and it's easy to automate via midi so you can tweak it till it sounds the way you like. In Ableton Live (which I guess won't apply to you) beat repeat plugin is also amazing.
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by modularjack View Post
In Ableton Live (which I guess won't apply to you) beat repeat plugin is also amazing.
yeah it's alright but has exactly the same constraints as using any other plugin for this, the inability to make a really personalised and exacting sound.

LOL @ the renoise crew, i'd never used a tracker before but played with one for 10mins and instantly realised where the venetian snares sound comes from.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Glitch FX...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modularjack
Can't believe nobody is using a Kaoss pad for this stuff. Granulizer and looper settings make wonderful glitches and it's easy to automate via midi so you can tweak it till it sounds the way you like. In Ableton Live (which I guess won't apply to you) beat repeat plugin is also amazing.
I was thinking of picking one up. Can you use the x/y to automate plugin parameters?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricalSound View Post
yeah it's alright but has exactly the same constraints as using any other plugin for this, the inability to make a really personalised and exacting sound.

LOL @ the renoise crew, i'd never used a tracker before but played with one for 10mins and instantly realised where the venetian snares sound comes from.
In all realness though, Renoise does great for all sorts of sequencing and sample manipulation, especially with drums of any sort because the velocity settings are numerical. Its way easier to type in numbers for velocity settings on a busy drum track, rather than trying to edit it with a mouse.

FYI, the guy who wrote glitch is a prominent Renoise scene contributor and it's quite easy to get the same effect by selecting a piece of a sequence and rendering it to a new sample then replacing it...
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
In all realness though, Renoise does great for all sorts of sequencing and sample manipulation, especially with drums of any sort because the velocity settings are numerical. Its way easier to type in numbers for velocity settings on a busy drum track, rather than trying to edit it with a mouse.
don't think i was putting trackers down, was just saying how it made sense when i saw how they worked.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
FIFTY dollars. For a Reaktor Ensemble glitch effect. Seriously?

Has anyone tried this? Does it write completed number one hits with a single mouse click & give you a relaxing foot massage at the same time?

Livecut & Replicant already mentioned. I just wanted to comment that I already had used Livecut (freeware) for quite a while before shelling out to purchase Replicant after reading a review. I got a bad case of buyer's remorse as I personally think that Livecut produces much better results. The only downside is that I've sometimes had issues getting Livecut to remember settings when I later re-open a project... but it's been a LONG time since I've tried that, so don't know if that is still the case.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 on doing it manually, just zoom in and get messing with the audio.
same, glitch plug-ins can be cool but generally sound fake when overused. doing it yourself is much more rewarding, and the results are generally much better. try taking small chunks of audio cut by yourself and process these chunks individually. More control, better results. As always YMMV, but I've found it to be a lot more fun and garner much more unique edits than most plug-ins can shell out.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I own Replicant, but I don't actually use it for glitches I use it for other things.

I used to use Beat Repeat a lot for subtle glitches, but Studio One makes manual glitching so ridiculously easy I don't even miss it anymore.

I vote manual. It takes more work, but what happens when you hear an awesome line from the plugin but it never repeats it just that way again? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of random nature and/or generative music, but there is something to be said with getting something exactly how you want it even if it takes twice as long or more.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

One other option, that I've used, is render the audio to a rex, import into stylus RMX and use the chaos section in that. If you create the REX slices small enough, you can re-sequence them with MIDI. Otherwise Effectix, Replicant, Fire and Livecut all have uses.

The best way is to record a whole bunch of takes and comp together the best bits.
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft View Post
same, glitch plug-ins can be cool but generally sound fake when overused. doing it yourself is much more rewarding, and the results are generally much better. try taking small chunks of audio cut by yourself and process these chunks individually. More control, better results. As always YMMV, but I've found it to be a lot more fun and garner much more unique edits than most plug-ins can shell out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
I vote manual. It takes more work, but what happens when you hear an awesome line from the plugin but it never repeats it just that way again? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of random nature and/or generative music, but there is something to be said with getting something exactly how you want it even if it takes twice as long or more.
exactly the reason why i go this way. glitching the drums is fast becoming a key thing in the tracks i'm working on atm, i need to be able to do it manually so i can make it all gel together.

+1 on it taking much longer than just twice as long i may have made it so it now takes 3/4 times as long for me to finish a track as it did before but it is totally worth it.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
people say the same thing about the machinedrum. you just have to try harder.

there is always a way to use something in a non-obvious way.

with any tool, people tend to do whatever is easiest with it... instead of putting your drums or vocals through it try just putting the reverb through it or just the hi hats or just the snare or just a delay or whatever. don't make the "lead" in the song. push it to the back ground.
thumbsup

non obvious software use is the future. I spent a while making a terrible, -clichéd- 303 line with a vst (non authentic as, not the point, netbook at work, was bored) then accidently hit the note/pattern switch and holy crap, religious experience, all sorts being triggered over the place and i ended up with a nice robotic s-t-u-t-t-e-r-y (not being funny, smiley invasion) funky synth line that may even be useable.

As a vst as well (back to dblue), its a great way to quickly determine whether or not you reeeeeally want a glitch effect thereever whereever in your track. If its doing it for ya then yeah, tweak it, chop it. do it yourself self or apply it esoterically, but if you spend a week or whatever sodding about with chopping it by eye lazer/magnetised pin+ rabid budgie and dont like it, youre a week wasted.

Last edited by invisiblekiduk; 2nd January 2011 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: emoticons invaded my words
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
don't think i was putting trackers down, was just saying how it made sense when i saw how they worked.
I know you weren't, trust me I got the joke about playing with a tracker for 10 minutes and seeing automatically where vsnares got his sound. :P

Or I at least thought it was funny, lol.

Most of the rest was more information aimed at everyone else really who have not tried trackers yet.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
I know you weren't, trust me I got the joke about playing with a tracker for 10 minutes and seeing automatically where vsnares got his sound. :P

Or I at least thought it was funny, lol.

Most of the rest was more information aimed at everyone else really who have not tried trackers yet.
it is funny those times when you use a certain plugin/program and realise how so-and-so has to be using that for their sound.

i'd definitely recommend people to have a play with trackers but for me they're just not right.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
it is funny those times when you use a certain plugin/program and realise how so-and-so has to be using that for their sound.

i'd definitely recommend people to have a play with trackers but for me they're just not right.
I'd have to also add especially if they're doing old mid 90s style jungle/drum n bass. I'm not sure, but I think Aphrodite is still using an amiga to this day, lol.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

the first software I got into using was Buzz, that's a hell of a tracker and modular environment right there

I can't get into Renoise for some reason, though. no idea why...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search