The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocals on Benny Benassi Satisfaction Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Vocals on Benny Benassi Satisfaction

Looking on how to reproduce the vocal sound on Satisfaction.

YouTube - Benny Benassi - Satisfaction

I have a radio station client that wants that sound on the voice over for top of the hour sweeper. I'm a post production guy, no music at all, so I'm not up on your latest tricks and tools. I'm using Pro Tools 8 and do have an MAudio keyboard for sound design. Just need to get sort of close to make him happy. Any tips that would lead me in that direction is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

PlainTalk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the problem is that this runs on pretty old computers; so the solution is to run an emulator with the MacInTalk software on it.

Here are some applications that do something similar: http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/TEXT_TO_VOCALS/ but chances are that you're not going to get that Benassi vocal with anything other than the original.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks Yoozer! I happen to have an old blue and white G3 gathering dust so I'll give it a try. Thanks again!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Aren't the voices in the current speech options for OS X?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

There was a video on youtube on this...

Found it:

Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

varaldo thumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Exactly what I needed. Much simpler than I thought. You guys saved me a lot of time.

Thanks everybody! hehhehhehhehheh
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The simplest way to achieve this is:
There's a little app for MAC OSX called iSpeak it :Apple - Downloads - iPod + iTunes - iSpeak It
download and install. Write down the text you want and that's it ! If you wish to use the same voice as Benassi, go to speech preferences within the program, it will open system voices preferences of your MAC, choose voice called Victoria or Vicky. No need for digging up the old computers from the dust, Ale Benassi was too lazy for that, almost every trick in modern electronic production is always coming from the box in front of you.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

The "post date" says November 2010, the Benassi track is from 2002

Chances are that those "old computers" were still in use at that time.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

there was one app for mac that you can even change the pitch in realtime for any text to speech voices,

it was called voicebox or something. it was cool cause u could change pitch and tempo in realtime so your DAW will play the music and u would be fiddling w the sliders on the app to match pitch or recorded via sounflower et.

but realmacsoftware is not making it available anymore. maybe if we all email the heck out of them...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac
AppleScript

You can also use AppleScript Editor.

Here is a simple script you can copy and paste into AppleScript Editor, you can modify the text in quotes and the numbers. The stuff between the comment tags (* *) are the script options.

say "I can't get me no. Satisfaction" using "Victoria" speaking rate 180 pitch 60

(*
say text : the text to speak, which can include intonation characters
[displaying text] : the text to display in the feedback window (if different). Ignored unless Speech Recognition is on.
[using text] : the voice to speak with. (Default is the system voice.)
[speaking rate number] : the rate of speech in words per minute. Average human speech occurs at a rate of 180 to 220 words per minute. (Default depends on the voice used. If “using” is not given, the system speaking rate is the default.)
[pitch number] : the base pitch frequency, a real number from 0 to 127. Values correspond to MIDI note values, where 60 is equal to middle C. Typical pitches range from around 30 to 40 for a low-pitched male voice to perhaps 55 to 65 for a high-pitched child’s voice.
[modulation number] : the pitch modulation, a real number from 0 to 127. A value of 0 corresponds to a monotone in which all speech is at the base speech pitch. Given a pitch value of 46, a modulation of 2 means the widest range of pitches would be 44 to 48.
[volume number] : the volume, a real number from 0 to 1 (default is the system volume).
[stopping current speech boolean] : stop any current speech before starting (default is false). When false, “say” waits for previous speech commands to complete before beginning to speak.
[waiting until completion boolean] : wait for speech to complete before returning (default is true).
[saving to any] : the alias, file reference or path string of an AIFF file (existing or not) to contain the sound output.
When “saving to” or voice-modifying parameters other than “using” are given, text is not displayed in the Speech Recognition feedback window, as it is not used to produce the speech in that case.
*)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

The way I would do it is just choose the voices in your speech preferences and then type the text in TextEdit.

From the TextEdit menu go to Menu > Edit > Speech > Start Speaking

The system audio can be recorded right into Logic or whatever sequencer with Soundflower.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

oh wow, no no..

u guys should of seen voicebox by realmac software. im trying to get a copy from them. i lost mine or was only for tiger or somehting.

it was the simplest interface. the typing box. on the right menu u had the voices u can choose, and under that two sliders for realtime pitch and time control..
so you could record through sound flower or output a wav file.
Old 31st March 2011
Here for the gear

If there's any question as to how this effect was achieved, it was most definately, a vocoder type effect on a real human voice, not a text to type program (although it might substitute for it, some people seem to be wondering how benny achieved this... most likely alle (his cousin) actually produced this, not benny and the vocalist is named violeta, a model from Italy whom I personally know/work with. I can find a video perhaps of the vocoder type headset being used during a performance possibly, but not right now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 31st March 2011
Lives for gear

there is also analogX sayit or whatever it was for windows

that had type box, speed, voice type, modulation strength, or something.

real simple
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlCPro View Post
If there's any question as to how this effect was achieved, it was most definately, a vocoder type effect on a real human voice
Vocoders don't sound like that; they react in a completely different way to sibilants. They tried to use that excuse also with Cher's "Believe" in the Sound On Sound interview.

Look at the posts above; the exact sound is shown by the TTS program.

Some producers are lazy; if the cheapest, easiest option does the job, then that's what they'll use. If that nets them several millions in sales, then being lazy is the smartest thing to do.
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Addict

I dunno how you can think that is a vocoder, it sounds nothing like a vocoder and not like a natural human voice. The diction is all broken up and computerized. Besides which that video has it pretty much nailed, probably recorded the output of that, sliced it into syllables in his sampler and made it fit the tempo.
Old 20th April 2011
Here for the gear

To the people saying I'm wrong about the vocoder ever heard of "the biz" the vocal duo in the hypnotica album??? and the song Satisfaction???

http://www.offlimits-forum.com/artis...oleta_bio.html

there is her bio (which lists satisfaction as one of her songs) and by the way that's off the website of the label from italy that released this track, I know personally that she recieved royalties for doing vocals on this song but if you want to believe a record label is needlessly paying somebody for vocals they didn't even sing on some world wide hit single then I guess you can believe whatever you like. Doesn't mean you'll be correct though...

She also did the vocals for "I love my sex" and explained to me that originally it went "and I love myself" but they changed it to be more "edgy" to "I love my sex" some versions even still contain the words "I love myself" in them if you'd like I can post a link

Old 20th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by modularjack View Post
sliced it into syllables in his sampler and made it fit the tempo.
Who says you can't slice the human voice up into syllables????
Old 20th April 2011
Here for the gear

For those who didn't go to the link here is a quote:

"After an audition, the Benny Benassi team started working on material for her vocal style and introduced her to Paul French.
Together they formed the BIZ, an exceptional vocal duo and live act whose prowess characterises the amazing album HYPNOTICA by Benny Benassi presents The Biz and the hit single SATISFACTION. "

So basically you think there's this big conspiracy where even the label itself claims her vocals are in satisfaction, she claims her vocals are in satisfaction and I (who works with her) claims her vocals are in there as well and yet we just all made it up and the label pays her just for "fun" so that way you can be right about what effect you believe was used to make this song?

I guess some people belive in big foot and santa claus etc. as well so I can't be surprized, people will imagine all sorts of crazy stuff in order to keep from hurting their ego's. But sorry, it was a vocoder.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
p from hurting their ego's. But sorry, it was a vocoder.
It sounds absolutely nothing like a vocoder. Sounds exactly like "fred" and "victoria" in mac speech.

On any MAC OS (still the same voices as back when it was produced), go to system preference -> speech and listen to the demo of those voices. Clearly they're the same.

Quote:
I can find a video perhaps of the vocoder type headset being used during a performance possibly, but not right now.
This must have been the way he performed it live, which is often quite different than how things are done in the studio.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess some people belive in big foot and santa claus etc. as well so I can't be surprized, people will imagine all sorts of crazy stuff in order to keep from hurting their ego's. But sorry, it was a vocoder.
An acapella was released with the five-track CD-single version of the song. This is convenient, as persons in possession of functioning ears can judge for themselves, even if they're too tin-eared to hear the obvious in the context of the track.

The "male" voice is identical to the MacInTalk voice, right down to the exact inflections, intervals, and the way the last syllable in the hook drops to a lower pitch than the rest.

Now, you might... might posit that they had the ballerina turned fashion model exactly imitate a MacInTalk speech-synthesis "guide track", then painstakingly edited individual syllables from different takes, and added glitches and artifacts (including the "satis-fac-TION...*CLICK*" at the end of each phrase, clearly heard on the acapella track).

Or maybe subtly layered in her voice under the MacInTalk voice, essentially double-tracking it (there's a slight hint that this might be a possibility in listening to the acapella compared to the MacInTalk voice alone).

But you didn't.

Nobody's "ego" is at stake here, save perhaps that of the dancing supermodel in question, or perhaps your own, but vocoders don't sound like that. Loudly insisting "it was a vocoder" (in a room full of vocoder nerds who sit around comparing vocoders all day for fun) only serves to make the rest of your assertions circumspect.

Quote:
So basically you think there's this big conspiracy where even the label itself claims her vocals are in satisfaction, she claims her vocals are in satisfaction and I (who works with her) claims her vocals are in there as well and yet we just all made it up and the label pays her just for "fun" so that way you can be right about what effect you believe was used to make this song?
Quote:
I can find a video perhaps of the vocoder type headset being used during a performance possibly, but not right now.
Wait. You slept through the entire late 1980s and early 1990s, didn't you?
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

I know its not Mac, but does anyone remember Dr Sbaitso?? I found it while digging around dos on my first puter at the tender age of 8 and still use it at every gig! I'm convinced it's what radiohead used on fitter happier and more productive. I guess it was technically also the first time I made audio from commands on a computer until my dad showed me how to program basic to play single notes. Silly soundblaster and their software bundles.

Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

Oh and if you do remember Dr Sbaitso and still have it make him say "penis" over and over again you will get a good giggle!

Old 21st April 2011
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=chrisrnps;6564998]Nobody's "ego" is at stake here, save perhaps that of the dancing supermodel in question, or perhaps your own, but vocoders don't sound like that. Loudly insisting "it was a vocoder" (in a room full of vocoder nerds who sit around comparing vocoders all day for fun) only serves to make the rest of your assertions circumspect.
[QUOTE]

Asserting it's not a vocoder to someone who personally works with the vocalist in question (and whom actually was engaged to her) and who would probably know better than you if she did or didn't record vocals for this track makes your assertion circumspect. You're basically hearing it from the horses mouth and you think becuase you're a self described "vocoder nerd" that I'm going to be impressed by you're credentials and believe your a more credible source than umm lets see..

the labels website itself???
The vocalist herself???
her producer??????????? (me)

So why do you think the label and her producer and (the vocalist herself) are all lying about this??? Because the label likes giving out money to people who had nothing to do with making the song "just because"??

So wouldn't that be false advertizing on the labels part?

Perhaps you should invest in a lawyer and sue them for being another "milli vanilli" if you're so sure.

YouTube - VIOLETA ,,THE BIZ,,(B.BENASSI)

there is a link to snippets of a performance by "the biz" during I think it was EDC

By the way the album hypnotica is FULL of robotic sounding vocals apparently you claim it was all done with macspeech and the fact that the vocalists in question are on the front cover of the CD meaans nothing to you.

Definitely a conspiracy...
Old 21st April 2011
Ham
Lives for gear

this track got me into electronic music, i was 13 y/o at a highschool dance, and now this business is my life!
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way the album hypnotica is FULL of robotic sounding vocals apparently you claim it was all done with macspeech and the fact that the vocalists in question are on the front cover of the CD meaans nothing to you.
We've claimed the vocals on Satisfation are mac speech. That's it.

I bet big money if you ask your ex-fiance if that's her voice on the released studio version of the song she'll tell you "no."

No doubt many other cuts on the record had "the biz's" vocals, but Satisfaction does not.
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
this track got me into electronic music, i was 13 y/o at a highschool dance, and now this business is my life!

[comment withheld]
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Nut

CarlCPro, sorry but I think Violeta didn't sing satisfaction...

Satisfaction (Benny Benassi song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search