The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duran Duran "All You Need is Now" AMAZING! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Duran Duran "All You Need is Now" AMAZING!

Just wanted to share an AMAZING new album from a band that has influenced more EDM than most any band!

THIS album is fantastic! Produced by Marc Ronson and a real effort to go back to their core roots, true analog, Nick using ALL his classic synths and fantastic writing.

I HIGHLY recommend this new album

Whether you're a Duran fan or not, it's worth dialating your mind and having a good listen!

First recommend of the almost-New Year heh

-andrews
Old 26th December 2010
  #2
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Just wanted to share an AMAZING new album from a band that has influenced more EDM than most any band!

THIS album is fantastic! Produced by Marc Ronson and a real effort to go back to their core roots, true analog, Nick using ALL his classic synths and fantastic writing.

I HIGHLY recommend this new album

Whether you're a Duran fan or not, it's worth dialating your mind and having a good listen!

First recommend of the almost-New Year heh

-andrews

I'll take your word for it, it's now on my list, thanks for the heads-up
Old 26th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
SoundEng1's Avatar
Waaay better than the timbaland produced one.
Old 26th December 2010
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
metatron13's Avatar
 

Hi Andrews,

Yeah it is quite good!!! Like your Too Much Information reference - The Wedding Album was great too!

If I have a weakness it's for Sweetness!!!

As Far as Ronson goes - I like his idea of making the album that would have happened after Rio and before 7 & the Ragged Tiger. Did he suceed in this (I think what he missed on was the New Religion - Night Boat -Friends of Mine) drive and ethereal sound - and of course most of the Pop Innocence that was RIO! Still a Great CD!!! I would Love to work with Duran - of course I do believe Colin Thurston - really was a GREAT fit for them. If only he were still here to have another go! It would be Awesome - I'm convinced. Of course I'm a big enough student of the boys to make it a proper go - Contact ME!!! (LOL - I Wish!!!)

My Thoughts (Free Cd Review):

Track # 1 All You Need is Now - (1st single - Shouldn't be!!!) - chorus is great - verse - not so much. Sounds like Medazzaland era - By My Icon.

Track #2 Great Song - Nice bell interlude (Nick) great female vocals in break.

Track #3 Being Followed - Great - Blondie "Atomic" Anyone?

Track #4 If You Leave a Light On - Very much "Out of my Mind" from Medazzaland - Yes - the same key at times!!!

Track#5 Safe - Funky - Is Ana Matronic the new Cindy Ecstasy - soft cell have reported her missing! Great Track - could be from Astronaut!!!

Track #6 Girl Panic! - Wow Duran Fans Rejoice!!! - John is turned up in the mix - and this song has all the elements of a classic Duran Duran track from any era - including S-50 style samples - great verse and awesome chorus!!!

Track #7 The Man Who Stole a Leopard - Ok it starts with Chauffeur ripped keyboard line - and drums soon to follow - for a while!!! D-50 type bell sounds - make this a classic sounding tune from the start - The String section adds depth - very cool - but just a little too fast to hang with the its own heritage!

Track #8 Runaway Runaway - This is the closest song to the RIO album they have ever accomplished since that album - It is upbeat and peppy - much in the vein of Hold Back The Rain - Quite Exceptional Pop - Duran Style!!!

Track #9 Before The Rain - Chauffeur Drums are getting a workout!!! This is a beautiful song that would like to be a slow tempo ballad - of course it isn't allowed that - as the bpm's are forced up to make this feel too rushed!

Bonus Track #10 Mediterranea - B side of All You Need Is Now - I think this song would be great with lower vocals - You can almost see Charlie pushing this one out - when it wants something a bit smoother and softer. Nice beat-synced pads!

Where the white sands touch the beach - There's a space for us!!!
Sounds good sitting in this Michigan winter!!! LOL! Nice white christmas though - and something to look forward to!

I can't wait to get the full album on Vinyl and check out the remaining tracks - planned for that release!!! Thanks to Duran Duran for many great tracks over the years!!!

Cheers to All - and Happy New Year Fast Approaching!!!
Old 26th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron13 View Post
Hi Andrews,

Yeah it is quite good!!! Like your Too Much Information reference - The Wedding Album was great too!

If I have a weakness it's for Sweetness!!!

As Far as Ronson goes - I like his idea of making the album that would have happened after Rio and before 7 & the Ragged Tiger. Did he suceed in this (I think what he missed on was the New Religion - Night Boat -Friends of Mine) drive and ethereal sound - and of course most of the Pop Innocence that was RIO! Still a Great CD!!! I would Love to work with Duran - of course I do believe Colin Thurston - really was a GREAT fit for them. If only he were still here to have another go! It would be Awesome - I'm convinced. Of course I'm a big enough student of the boys to make it a proper go - Contact ME!!! (LOL - I Wish!!!)

My Thoughts (Free Cd Review):

Track # 1 All You Need is Now - (1st single - Shouldn't be!!!) - chorus is great - verse - not so much. Sounds like Medazzaland era - By My Icon.

Track #2 Great Song - Nice bell interlude (Nick) great female vocals in break.

Track #3 Being Followed - Great - Blondie "Atomic" Anyone?

Track #4 If You Leave a Light On - Very much "Out of my Mind" from Medazzaland - Yes - the same key at times!!!

Track#5 Safe - Funky - Is Ana Matronic the new Cindy Ecstasy - soft cell have reported her missing! Great Track - could be from Astronaut!!!

Track #6 Girl Panic! - Wow Duran Fans Rejoice!!! - John is turned up in the mix - and this song has all the elements of a classic Duran Duran track from any era - including S-50 style samples - great verse and awesome chorus!!!

Track #7 The Man Who Stole a Leopard - Ok it starts with Chauffeur ripped keyboard line - and drums soon to follow - for a while!!! D-50 type bell sounds - make this a classic sounding tune from the start - The String section adds depth - very cool - but just a little too fast to hang with the its own heritage!

Track #8 Runaway Runaway - This is the closest song to the RIO album they have ever accomplished since that album - It is upbeat and peppy - much in the vein of Hold Back The Rain - Quite Exceptional Pop - Duran Style!!!

Track #9 Before The Rain - Chauffeur Drums are getting a workout!!! This is a beautiful song that would like to be a slow tempo ballad - of course it isn't allowed that - as the bpm's are forced up to make this feel too rushed!

Bonus Track #10 Mediterranea - B side of All You Need Is Now - I think this song would be great with lower vocals - You can almost see Charlie pushing this one out - when it wants something a bit smoother and softer. Nice beat-synced pads!

Where the white sands touch the beach - There's a space for us!!!
Sounds good sitting in this Michigan winter!!! LOL! Nice white christmas though - and something to look forward to!

I can't wait to get the full album on Vinyl and check out the remaining tracks - planned for that release!!! Thanks to Duran Duran for many great tracks over the years!!!

Cheers to All - and Happy New Year Fast Approaching!!!
Oh man, here in the U.S., we didn't get that last track "Mediterranua"

Why do they do that???

With ya on how some of these seem like more fleshed out (and MUCH bettered recroded) versions of songs from Medazzaland. However, this album sounds much thicker to me and is close (not quite, but darn good) to their sonic work with Colin Thurston.

And I also agree that they should have also hit some of the first album's attitude, for me, I'd like to see them tap back into that Sound of Thunder & Friends of Mine vibe... but "The Man Who Stole a Leopard" has a bit of that.

All in all, one of their best albums in a long time (and I don't say that lightly or too critically, love those guys; I just feel this is one of their more hoenst works in a long time... would still love to see Andy back in the mix, his guitar edge always gave the whole an extra dimension).

Like your review

-Andrews

-a
Old 27th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
Yep, totally loving this album. The songs are all melodic, colorful and interesting like their 80's material. When they decide to make melodic music it's always great. For some reason they slip into these phases where they almost seem to shun melody.

I think I would've liked to hear some more organic drum sounds mixed with the electro keys. I think that was a pretty distinct part of their 80's sound. But I'm digging the drums on this album for what they are. This will definitely go into regular rotation on my ipod!
Old 27th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
Yep, great album! I wrote this already in the best music of 2010 thread. It came late, but def my favorite record this year with ronsons own record collection right after.
Old 27th December 2010
  #8
I really dig the first single "All You Need Is Now", it's amazing!!! I recently saw the updated Duran Duran Behind The Music on VH-1, lots of great insider information. I really don't like it when a producer/director is picked for a project and they know nothing about what the fans care about, usually never works out IMO. I really dig that the producer is a huge DD fan, I think that is hitting it right on the mark.
Old 27th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
I really dig the first single "All You Need Is Now", it's amazing!!! I recently saw the updated Duran Duran Behind The Music on VH-1, lots of great insider information. I really don't like it when a producer/director is picked for a project and they know nothing about what the fans care about, usually never works out IMO. I really dig that the producer is a huge DD fan, I think that is hitting it right on the mark.
Totally agree and I think that's what happened on that last album, yeah, maybe Timbaland and JT are great producers and all, but they didn't understand the band and where they had come from... and that's EXACTLY why this album works so well with Ronson.

-a
Old 27th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Yep, totally loving this album. The songs are all melodic, colorful and interesting like their 80's material. When they decide to make melodic music it's always great. For some reason they slip into these phases where they almost seem to shun melody.

I think I would've liked to hear some more organic drum sounds mixed with the electro keys. I think that was a pretty distinct part of their 80's sound. But I'm digging the drums on this album for what they are. This will definitely go into regular rotation on my ipod!
Yep, that is my one critique as well and it seems odd becuase they really made an effort to go back to their roots and go all analogue, so it's odd that Roger Taylor of all people would choose more V-drum stuff than his acoustic kit, I mean, they've always been great at mixing in both, but the V-drums lack and his real playing has always been so damn good... it's that blend of electro with rock solid drums and bass, then crunchy guitar and poetic vocals... all mixed with atmospheric production.

-a
Old 27th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

I'm listening to the samples on iTunes right now. It does sound cool, maybe not quite back to their 80s form and glory but it still sounds good.

I think it's cool that they've stayed together this long and are still making music.
Old 27th December 2010
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
a band that has influenced more EDM than most any band!


The album didn't amaze me either.
Old 27th December 2010
  #13
Gear Addict
 
alexamk's Avatar
 

Amazing album, I can't believe its itunes only though. I would love to have the actual cd, but oh well awesome nontheless. My favorite track is Runaway listened to it like 20 times in a row super catchy chorus.
Old 27th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

I was a huge Duran Duran fan in the 80ies.

In the current album I find only track 2 really catchy and track 3 is also quite nice. It's all about song writing for me. In song 2 his voice sounds best. For many other songs something I don't like about the voice. Somehow it had been processed better in the 80s .

Did you know Bananarama still exists? They have a good album. heh

edit: song 1 is also nice!
Old 29th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
He used to sing with his throat more open which gave it a deeper tone. Somewhere around Notorious he started singing a bit more nasally. He was also pretty pitchy in the old days so they slapped a heavy chorus effect to mask it.

The album is getting better and better the more I listen to it. Tracks 3, 4, 6 and 9 are classics! Some of the best Duran ever!
Old 2nd January 2011
  #16
jac
Gear Addict
 
jac's Avatar
The overall impression is really good.
Songs are amazing, great melodies and very ironic lyrics, production is also very good. I miss some real drums, but Roger Taylor is going "virtual" since last 5 years. I can say that it's the best record since SATRT.

First time I don't miss Andy Taylor and that's mean something to me!
I'm looking forward to get the cd on February!

If somebody here would share more details about production and mixing.... heh...
Old 2nd January 2011
  #17
Boring album

Far away from "amazing" but ok for long time Duran Duran fans.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 

thanks for the heads up. itunes clips sound good.
apparently, its itunes only right now.
ill buy it once its out on CD.
mini
Old 15th March 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 



This looks interesting. I've never seen a David Lynch
concert film before.
Old 15th March 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
Waaay better than the timbaland produced one.
Timbaland!!! A lot of people are going to jump on me for saying this I'm sure. But everything I've heard that is produced by Timbaland is absolute garbage. Can't stand him.

I'll be sure to check out the new album. Thanks DH.
Old 15th March 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Is Nick Rhodes playing his Jupiter 8? He really put the Jupiter line on the map. I cannot wait to hear this.
Old 15th March 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
Big DD fan, but this new album (which I bought when it came out on iTunes) doesn't have me convinced. Mark Ronson only THINKs he knows why DD are/were so good, he took all the icing and sizzle but forgot about the depth and the darkness. Rio is not all there is to DD (even though the first 3 albums are my favourites), it could definitely done with more stuff like the first album (darker, more rocking) and way more guitar was needed. The synths/music that are there are kinda generic sounding TBH (even though he did dig out the ol analogs) and while LeBon does pretty well here, and certainly it's more classic DD sounding than their previous few albums, it appears to be lacking a soul imo. Duran by numbers, I would have prefered they take a risk and do what THEY really wanted to do rather than a 'by committee' thing that they think people want to hear.

This is not a dig at DD at all. Just that they have for years seemed to flail around chasing their tails when all they needed to do was trust in themselves and write decent songs, as they did in the (early/mid) 80s. This album is very DD-like but it's also DD-lite. It's only one facet of the duran sound stretched to an entire album, and even the more thoughtful songs are whispy pastiches of the past rather than the energy and depth of the original songs they wrote all that time ago. I dare say Ronson isn't entirely to blame, he did try to steer them with good intentions, but somewhere the songwriting wasn't quite strong enough, the album was probably over analysed and the self image of what the band thinks they are is slightly off kilter. I think they realise this and will hopefully go a bit darker and a bit more free for the next album.

It's a nice album, it does the job, but it's not essential. It doesn't have the faults of RCM (the last album produced in a ridiculously unsuitable fashion by Timbaland etc) but it doesn't have the songwriting of either RCM or Astronaut (both had stronger songs at the core imo but were lacking that 'sizzle' that AYNIN has). Shame they couldn't combine both!

I'd rather they go for a mix between the first album and notorious (more adult but with proper synth/bass use) for the next one, and fgs hope they stop using the producer as the 'star attraction' for their albums. DD simply have to stop over-thinking or trying too hard, they can't relive the past as much as many (inc me) thought we wanted them to. I'd rather they make a risky album and accidentally make a great song amongst them (they have once or twice in the past) but to set out 'to sound like it could have followed RIO but updated for 'now'' was the wrong thing imo as it took the emphasis of the song writing and shifted it onto production. The arrangements and the lyrics (and melodies) suffered, sure there are some catchy riffs in there but they don't last, they get old quick.

I loved the title track, the chorus on that one IS a proper DD song, but the rest is not doing it (not even girl panic which is like diluted classic Duran and the next single I believe).

It seems with this album they are almost living up to the negative image many detractors cast on them, that they are/were only shallow pop, yet fans like me since 82 loved them for tracks that were not that way (I also loved all the big singles yes!) but those early album tracks are amazing! Friends of mine, sound of thunder, anyone out there, new religion, shadows on your side, of crime and passion, last chance on the stairway.. etc this album just takes a bit of this and that from their own back catalog but brings nothing new, it also gets far too close to other bands songs from the past (blondie is in there somewhere, even Barry Gibb's 'Grease' theme is there on 'safe' and overall it sounds like they dialled it in from home and left mark to 'make it happen' in the production).

all imo and I'm a massive DD fan and always will be
Old 15th March 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Heathfinnie's Avatar
 

I'm psyched that they are playing a club sized venue in Boston on this tour...
Old 5th April 2011
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
He used to sing with his throat more open which gave it a deeper tone. Somewhere around Notorious he started singing a bit more nasally. He was also pretty pitchy in the old days so they slapped a heavy chorus effect to mask it.

The album is getting better and better the more I listen to it. Tracks 3, 4, 6 and 9 are classics! Some of the best Duran ever!

Definitely right you are my man... this is Duran Duran at its best and let me tell you this, I haven't gotten this excited since Rio, and that is a long time.
I would also include Runway Runaway in your list of classics.

It shows Ronson really likes this band and made an effort to not only respect and rescue but also enrich the very core of Duran Duran.

Colorful melodies, amazing basslines (you gotta love this guy, what would they be without him), euphoric rythm section, a somehow very unique blend of funk and dark that they used to do so well in their first two albums...and it's all here again.

My faves, "Being Followed" and "Mediterranea".

I'd also like to say that I've been very critical of their "modern" albums, like they always made such an effort to sound yeah, modern. Now this album sounds as XXI century as it can get BUT the spirit is there and is totally legit.

Congrats to Ronson and the band. Good job.
Old 5th April 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Was a huge Duran fan in the 80s. This is the first time for some while that the spirit has been re-captured imo.

Athough acts like Depeche Mode, Thomas Dolby and Kraftwerk were the real reason I got into electronic music, If I had to pick one group that defined the 80's, Duran Duran would be my overall choice.

thumbsup
Old 5th April 2011
  #26
007
Lives for gear
 
007's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post

Did you know Bananarama still exists? They have a good album. heh

I think we could devote a thread to that alone, lol.
"80's bands reuniting!"
Old 26th February 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
lineofcontrol's Avatar
 

Holy crap. Don't know how I missed this...

The man who stole a leopard is EPIC!

Like the return of the Chauffer. 808 all over it too.

Brill.
Old 26th February 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
Holy crap. Don't know how I missed this...

The man who stole a leopard is EPIC!

Like the return of the Chauffer. 808 all over it too.

Brill.

Right?!! Amazing synth work, sound-design... whole vibe!

That is a level of work that current electronic artists should study... hell Nick Rhodes influnced the very reason I'm here.

-andrews
Old 26th February 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
I love it, easily as good as anything they've done. My favourite is the diamond in the mind orchestral interlude.
Old 26th February 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Doesn't work for me, at all. Maybe I'm stuck in another musical dimension but imo the music got lost and the production (by producers who are musically agnostic) took over. Not just for DD but for bands in general.

An example of more imaginative & creative sound, better songwriting, better performance imo. Granted, the fashions were dodgy....

Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
adpz / So much gear, so little time
4
Neruk / So much gear, so little time
30
MYAMS / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump