The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duran Duran "All You Need is Now" AMAZING! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

OP: Thanks for the heads up on this album. I got it and like every track on it. I am looking forward to DD's next work.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
This album is NOT amazing. It's weak.

And that's coming from a life long Duran fan since 1982 who has bought everything they ever did and has seen them live some 6 or 7 times. They are capable of far better and Mark Ronson ruined them. That he's apparently working with them again on the next album doesn't give me much hope. Songwriting was weak, production wasn't great, vocals were phoned in, none of the proper rocky rhythm section work going on as on the first 2 albums, just a superficial facade of the original DD sound, not the real deal.

Play the first 2 albums, or even Ragged tiger, next to AYNIN and the weakness of the songs on the last album is clearly revealed. As is the too samey production and lack of sonic variety, TOO MUCH synth in fact but not good synth particularly.

Andy Taylor is sorely missed, even if Astronaut wasn't an amazing album - I'm sure the unreleased "reportage" would have had more balls than AYNIN which is imo a take on some of the worst aspects of DD that has attracted derision over the years, it's like they gave up any idea of being a proper rock band, that they are capable of, and caved into the common misguided perception that they are only a shallow pop band.

Leopard is nowhere near the class of the Chauffeur yet some refer to it as a kind of follow up.

And "Safe" is a direct rip of the Grease Theme by Barry Gibb (Though I actually like Barry Gibb's work). There's only one or two tracks on the album (Inc the title track) that I can actually bear to listen to, the rest is not really indicative of the greatness DD are capable of.

I saw them live touring this album and it was the least exciting show of theirs I've been too, opening with and playing too many tracks from the new album made sure of that.

And yet many fans seem to think it was a return to form?? really? not when you dig in and look at the melodies and the song structures/arrangements. I have to 'blame' Ronson a lot for convincing DD that "RIO" was the only thing they had ever done that was worth a damn, when clearly the first album is darker and amazing, Notorious has some amazing tracks too. Frankly Ronson is a cock who ruined a perfectly good band by telling them what he thought they needed to hear rather than let them just write from the heart , mistakes and all, and create something with some life and genuine energy in it.

Even at their worst (Liberty) it was obvious their mistakes were mostly their own and their successes too, with the last album it sounds too 'by committee' with the life stamped out of it to play it too safe.

I won't post further on this as I'm sure many DD fans will disagree and I'm not gonna get into petty squabbles about one of my favourite bands of all time, it's just my opinion but I know they could have done a lot better. Roger and John should have been used better, and a guitarist should have had more say in the song writing/arrangements (though not Dom Brown who seems as insipid as they come), if they can't work with Andy, and don't want Warren back then find someone who has some balls with a rock edge who will temper their synth sound and make it solid rather than the whispy generic sounding overpowering synth backwash all over that album.

And yes Nick Rhodes was a hero of mine as a kid and partly why I'm even into music/synths myself, doesn't mean I can't say it how I see it instead of being a sycophant!

I also agree - Colin Thurston was perfect for DD, so sad that he's dead and can't work with them again. I think they should stop chasing 'name' producers now and have more faith in themselves and write from the heart rather than to fashion/trying to capture a young and/or retro audience. just WRITE men!! Ordinary world etc didn't happen by over-thinking. Sometimes DD are their own worse enemy. I am working with someone who has worked with them in the past (in the 80s) and was very close to Nick Rhodes (oh the anecdotes!) and they agree with me, it's like the proper fans can see it but DD can't. They went from one extreme (Timbaland/RCM) to another - a knee jerk reaction to the failure of RCM (which actually had some good tracks on). They have a pattern usually of bigging up their current album/producer then saying it was a wrong choice after the album tanks, they wouldn't have that problem if they just chilled out and did their own thing! I don't think it helps to blindly support them and tell them AYNIN is a 'return to form' when it clearly has problems. Even the best song on there, that sounds most like 'proper' DD as in catchy but with some depth/real emotion (the title track) is somewhat ruined by sloppy verses and haphazard production. Chorus is pretty good and gives that DD feel. Everything else on the album except maybe 2 tracks has no weight or depth.
I agree, mostly.

I think this album ticks all the right boxes, technically. It's good on paper. It sounds just like classic '80s Duran Duran, but none of the tracks stuck with me after a first, second, third listen. :( It's more like somebody has made a list of what DD sounds like, then made a lesser version of them.

Memorability, hookiness. - I think this is important stuff for pop music. As synthy production nerds, it's all too easy to look at those ticked boxes, but where's that big awesomeness? They can do MUCH better than this. They're all super talented and have pulled off some remarkable and iconic music in their time.

But, just another opinion in a sea of critical opinions on the internet.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
You can always tell someone who is just parroting back what they "think" Nick Rhodes was supposed to be, was jeleous that his girlfriend masturbated to Duran posters, and thought the cover of Teen Beat was journalism
wow...just wow.

i already wrote what i thought. i was a teen in the 80s; i have my own 1st-person perspective on things, thank you. i was reading encyclopedias at age 3, i don't even know what teenbeat is. or arcadia. they're not the topic.

whatever you wrote is what YOU thought, not me

you're interacting like a rather slimy person, frankly - a person that can't handle or respect others' opinions once you've expressed your own, so you resort to childish insinuation
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
You can always tell someone who is just parroting back what they "think" Nick Rhodes was supposed to be, was jeleous that his girlfriend masturbated to Duran posters, and thought the cover of Teen Beat was journalism

If this guy actually listened to a track like Arcadia's "The Promise" and didn't get why it worked, then ya just can't be helped... but I'm sure David Gilmore, Herbie Hancock and Sting were hacks too
Yikes, that's harsh. You gotta realize that everyone came of age differently here; I for one couldn't listen to too much DD (or anything related to them), just didn't like them, as well as most of the people I hung out with back then (and ALL of us had VERY different musical tastes); But it doesn't stop there, I can't stand Howard Jones, The Human League (except their 1st 2 albums), Yazoo (I like some songs here and there) Thompson Twins; SYNTHPOP BASICALLY!!! ... BLASPHEMY!! I know, but I'm not being a Troll here, just showing you that all of all of us had different motivations and inpirations that made us join the game, and that whatever inspired you is no indication of virtue.
Old 21st May 2013
Gear Nut

I like Nick Rhodes, but I think most people prefer Duran Duran period of 1980-1983, compared to later periods. Of course they made some good songs in later periods too, but their early days had the most impact among more people historically.
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
indeed.
Nobody i've worked with has ever referenced a DD track, except once when someone mentioned the Fairlight used on Notorious. That was it.

and the JP-8 is better associated with Howard Jones, the way a pro-one is to Vince. but whatever.

thing is this: DD were always a pop band first, w/ a keyboard player that uses synths - they're hardly pioneers of any sort, by any stretch - except to those that already love them, and in the sense of being early to putting videos on MTV
personally, I feel The Human League beat em to it and evidence abounds- as they are referenced much more often - partly because they didn't start out as a pop act; their 1st 2 records are focused on electronic music, specifically.
Even more, i feel that almost NOBODY is responsible for pioneering much of anything - we stand on the shoulders of giants before us- and it's just an evolutionary chain that will carry on regardless of 'who gets credit'.

DD are 'influential to some' and lets leave it at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
wow...just wow.

i already wrote what i thought. i was a teen in the 80s; i have my own 1st-person perspective on things, thank you. i was reading encyclopedias at age 3, i don't even know what teenbeat is. or arcadia. they're not the topic.

whatever you wrote is what YOU thought, not me

you're interacting like a rather slimy person, frankly - a person that can't handle or respect others' opinions once you've expressed your own, so you resort to childish insinuation

Your own posts prove my point and the fact that you don't know Arcadia demonstrates your ignorance on the topic.

You either know it or you don't. You admit you don't, so you're not qualified to the "opinion" you seem to see as valid truth.

(BTW- You seriously think Howard Jones is more associated with the Jupiter 8 than Nick Rhodes... now that just becomes laughable... ooooh, maybe you mean the Jupiter 80 )

But, it doesn't matter, I actually feel sorry for people like you who miss out on great music.

Good luck with that.

-a
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search