The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duran Duran "All You Need is Now" AMAZING! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Your right asbak anyone out there is way better!

First of all Andy Taylor!

And it would have been so cool for Colin Thurston to get another go!

Almost not looking forward to another one with Ronson!

Almost!
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron13 View Post
Your right asbak anyone out there is way better!

First of all Andy Taylor!

And it would have been so cool for Colin Thurston to get another go!

Almost not looking forward to another one with Ronson!

Almost!

Only one problem with that... Colin Thurston is dead
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Reminds me of "it's never too late for now" from 30 rock:p
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Yeah - I'm just wishing he wasn't Halo!!!
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron13 View Post
Yeah - I'm just wishing he wasn't Halo!!!

Agreed I always felt he made THE best sounding Duran records, by a long shot!

I mean, everytime I listen to their first album Duran Duran, I'm struck by how incredibly punchy, detailed and tight it sounds.... frickin' AMAZING!!!!

So yes, I'm 100% with ya!

-andrews
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder if Nick Rhodes has ever checked out this forum. I'm betting he has
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Addict

Nick Rhodes, although a little snobby and pretentious at times, is still my idol for sound and part creation. He and Simon are really the back bone of the Duran sound. I am and always and always have been a dedicated Duran Duran fan and always will be. I have learned a lot from Nick about writing melodies, sound layering and creation, and playing in the pocket. He is not the best technical player by a long shot, but nevertheless, he is a synth genius.
Old 4th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Just wanted to share an AMAZING new album from a band that has influenced more EDM than most any band!
Then you don't know much about electronic dance music!!!
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
There is no such thing as electronic dance music.
Old 4th March 2013
OK.
I don't really care, it's just a pigeon hole, but I think pretty much everyone accepts techno, house and similar are EDM, aka electronic dance music.
It's dance music, largely created using electronic sounds.
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
That is like saying VANHALEN doesn't know much about rock.
Old 4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
+1
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear
This album is NOT amazing. It's weak.

And that's coming from a life long Duran fan since 1982 who has bought everything they ever did and has seen them live some 6 or 7 times. They are capable of far better and Mark Ronson ruined them. That he's apparently working with them again on the next album doesn't give me much hope. Songwriting was weak, production wasn't great, vocals were phoned in, none of the proper rocky rhythm section work going on as on the first 2 albums, just a superficial facade of the original DD sound, not the real deal.

Play the first 2 albums, or even Ragged tiger, next to AYNIN and the weakness of the songs on the last album is clearly revealed. As is the too samey production and lack of sonic variety, TOO MUCH synth in fact but not good synth particularly.

Andy Taylor is sorely missed, even if Astronaut wasn't an amazing album - I'm sure the unreleased "reportage" would have had more balls than AYNIN which is imo a take on some of the worst aspects of DD that has attracted derision over the years, it's like they gave up any idea of being a proper rock band, that they are capable of, and caved into the common misguided perception that they are only a shallow pop band.

Leopard is nowhere near the class of the Chauffeur yet some refer to it as a kind of follow up.

And "Safe" is a direct rip of the Grease Theme by Barry Gibb (Though I actually like Barry Gibb's work). There's only one or two tracks on the album (Inc the title track) that I can actually bear to listen to, the rest is not really indicative of the greatness DD are capable of.

I saw them live touring this album and it was the least exciting show of theirs I've been too, opening with and playing too many tracks from the new album made sure of that.

And yet many fans seem to think it was a return to form?? really? not when you dig in and look at the melodies and the song structures/arrangements. I have to 'blame' Ronson a lot for convincing DD that "RIO" was the only thing they had ever done that was worth a damn, when clearly the first album is darker and amazing, Notorious has some amazing tracks too. Frankly Ronson is a cock who ruined a perfectly good band by telling them what he thought they needed to hear rather than let them just write from the heart , mistakes and all, and create something with some life and genuine energy in it.

Even at their worst (Liberty) it was obvious their mistakes were mostly their own and their successes too, with the last album it sounds too 'by committee' with the life stamped out of it to play it too safe.

I won't post further on this as I'm sure many DD fans will disagree and I'm not gonna get into petty squabbles about one of my favourite bands of all time, it's just my opinion but I know they could have done a lot better. Roger and John should have been used better, and a guitarist should have had more say in the song writing/arrangements (though not Dom Brown who seems as insipid as they come), if they can't work with Andy, and don't want Warren back then find someone who has some balls with a rock edge who will temper their synth sound and make it solid rather than the whispy generic sounding overpowering synth backwash all over that album.

And yes Nick Rhodes was a hero of mine as a kid and partly why I'm even into music/synths myself, doesn't mean I can't say it how I see it instead of being a sycophant!

I also agree - Colin Thurston was perfect for DD, so sad that he's dead and can't work with them again. I think they should stop chasing 'name' producers now and have more faith in themselves and write from the heart rather than to fashion/trying to capture a young and/or retro audience. just WRITE men!! Ordinary world etc didn't happen by over-thinking. Sometimes DD are their own worse enemy. I am working with someone who has worked with them in the past (in the 80s) and was very close to Nick Rhodes (oh the anecdotes!) and they agree with me, it's like the proper fans can see it but DD can't. They went from one extreme (Timbaland/RCM) to another - a knee jerk reaction to the failure of RCM (which actually had some good tracks on). They have a pattern usually of bigging up their current album/producer then saying it was a wrong choice after the album tanks, they wouldn't have that problem if they just chilled out and did their own thing! I don't think it helps to blindly support them and tell them AYNIN is a 'return to form' when it clearly has problems. Even the best song on there, that sounds most like 'proper' DD as in catchy but with some depth/real emotion (the title track) is somewhat ruined by sloppy verses and haphazard production. Chorus is pretty good and gives that DD feel. Everything else on the album except maybe 2 tracks has no weight or depth.
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Big DD fan, but this new album (which I bought when it came out on iTunes) doesn't have me convinced. Mark Ronson only THINKs he knows why DD are/were so good, he took all the icing and sizzle but forgot about the depth and the darkness. Rio is not all there is to DD (even though the first 3 albums are my favourites), it could definitely done with more stuff like the first album (darker, more rocking) and way more guitar was needed. The synths/music that are there are kinda generic sounding TBH (even though he did dig out the ol analogs) and while LeBon does pretty well here, and certainly it's more classic DD sounding than their previous few albums, it appears to be lacking a soul imo. Duran by numbers, I would have prefered they take a risk and do what THEY really wanted to do rather than a 'by committee' thing that they think people want to hear.

This is not a dig at DD at all. Just that they have for years seemed to flail around chasing their tails when all they needed to do was trust in themselves and write decent songs, as they did in the (early/mid) 80s. This album is very DD-like but it's also DD-lite. It's only one facet of the duran sound stretched to an entire album, and even the more thoughtful songs are whispy pastiches of the past rather than the energy and depth of the original songs they wrote all that time ago. I dare say Ronson isn't entirely to blame, he did try to steer them with good intentions, but somewhere the songwriting wasn't quite strong enough, the album was probably over analysed and the self image of what the band thinks they are is slightly off kilter. I think they realise this and will hopefully go a bit darker and a bit more free for the next album.

It's a nice album, it does the job, but it's not essential. It doesn't have the faults of RCM (the last album produced in a ridiculously unsuitable fashion by Timbaland etc) but it doesn't have the songwriting of either RCM or Astronaut (both had stronger songs at the core imo but were lacking that 'sizzle' that AYNIN has). Shame they couldn't combine both!

I'd rather they go for a mix between the first album and notorious (more adult but with proper synth/bass use) for the next one, and fgs hope they stop using the producer as the 'star attraction' for their albums. DD simply have to stop over-thinking or trying too hard, they can't relive the past as much as many (inc me) thought we wanted them to. I'd rather they make a risky album and accidentally make a great song amongst them (they have once or twice in the past) but to set out 'to sound like it could have followed RIO but updated for 'now'' was the wrong thing imo as it took the emphasis of the song writing and shifted it onto production. The arrangements and the lyrics (and melodies) suffered, sure there are some catchy riffs in there but they don't last, they get old quick.

I loved the title track, the chorus on that one IS a proper DD song, but the rest is not doing it (not even girl panic which is like diluted classic Duran and the next single I believe).

It seems with this album they are almost living up to the negative image many detractors cast on them, that they are/were only shallow pop, yet fans like me since 82 loved them for tracks that were not that way (I also loved all the big singles yes!) but those early album tracks are amazing! Friends of mine, sound of thunder, anyone out there, new religion, shadows on your side, of crime and passion, last chance on the stairway.. etc this album just takes a bit of this and that from their own back catalog but brings nothing new, it also gets far too close to other bands songs from the past (blondie is in there somewhere, even Barry Gibb's 'Grease' theme is there on 'safe' and overall it sounds like they dialled it in from home and left mark to 'make it happen' in the production).

all imo and I'm a massive DD fan and always will be
You have a lot of valid points. I agree it was better when DD wrote what they felt was right for their next album and lived and died by the sword. I have found a way to appreciate every album, both studio and live, that they have ever done. However, since Astronaut the pickings have been getting slim.

I think the strings on Leopard are really nice. But I do agree that song is no Chauffeur.

We are officially off topic.
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

Go have a listen to Blame the machine and Being Followed again.

Tell me these gems aren't up there with Last chance on the stairway or Hold back the rain?

Gorgeous gorgeous.
Old 7th March 2013
Gear Guru

It always struck me that Duran were more influenced by that period of Yes when they had Trevor Horn. Drama Album ?

well anyhow.. there ya go
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh please, Chrisso, what's with the rude attitude?

Ya wanna cite me some Kraftwork, Detroit techno, some Frankie Knuckles and Eno? Yeah yeah, we get it.

But seriously, are you really going to say that Nick Rhodes' synth work and approach to "sound" as a vibe and atmospherics wasn't hugely influential on a generation? Pulllease.

Ever listen to Arcadia?

Wanna name check the Jupiter 8 and tell me Nick Rhodes isn't THE guy associated with that synth?

How about the Fairlight IIx?

I've seen this before, especially from people who grew up in that era, they minimize Duran because of image and not their actual sound... and they're still pissed their girlfriends all had posters of John Taylor on their wall
Old 8th March 2013
Quote:
But seriously, are you really going to say that Nick Rhodes' synth work and approach to "sound" as a vibe and atmospherics wasn't hugely influential on a generation?
Absolutely, I'm seriously saying that, without a doubt.
I lived and worked in London right throughout that period.
Duran were seen as pop stars in the main. The songs were catchy, the videos extravagant, the boys looked cute.
I never met anyone who was influenced by them, certainly not in synth based dance music. I think I was in that generation, and was involved in recording similar sounding pop in London studios at the time and can't remember anyone referencing Duran, or Rhodes..... ever. Sorry that's just the honest truth. If anyone admired them it was because they wrote great pop songs, And I worked with a lot of pop producers, and keyboard players. The fairlight was ever present on most of my sessions. The big Fairlight/Synclavier influences were Peter Gabriel and Trevor Horn - Art Of Noise. The big pop synth influences were Prince, Thomas Dolby, Michael Jackson and lots of individual RnB records at the time - Shalamar, Kashif, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Change. Probably the people most often referenced were Prince and Trevor Horn.
I'm sure along with Spandau Ballet and George Michael they influenced dance tinged pop for a much later generation..... but that wasn't your claim.
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wanna name check the Jupiter 8 and tell me Nick Rhodes isn't THE guy associated with that synth?
I always thought it was CoolColJ until he put his on eBay.
Old 8th March 2013
god I hated Duran et al when I was a kid....mind you the Jam never played synths
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

never met anyone that was influenced by them? that's selective historical reconstruction. due to perhaps their appearance and fangirlz it might have been tough for some to reference them outright or vocally, but Duran Duran were/are a great/formative band of their era, (and yes, even admittedly themselves owing a debt to Japan etc...), but Nick Rhodes was a tremendously influential synthesist and writer, John Taylor is WAY WAY underrated as a bass player... and the gestalt of all of them created some iconic moments in time. Think of how many peeps on this site were first turned on to the wonder of synthetic soundscapes provided by aforementioned members. And yes, Arcadia was awesome, "the missing" especially for me...

I have spent some considerable time with some of the OG members of the band, and they are refreshingly knowledgeable about current trends, and perhaps some may argue their best years may be behind them, but I won't write them off. The unmitigated glee you get from talking geek stuff with the gentleman that is Nick Rhodes speaks for itself. Of course everyone wants them to go back to the Jupiter8/Crumar sonic version of the band, but you have to understand that they still want to try and push their envelope. I know many, many successful musicians who are at the very least closeted huge DD fans.
Old 8th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
never met anyone that was influenced by them? that's selective historical reconstruction.
Well literally it is not. It's just my experience working in London between 1980 and 2000, often recording with pop bands using computer sequencers, racks of synths and drum machines.
Not once did anyone say "can you imagine Nick Rhodes while you play the synth part'".
Not once was the drum groove described as Duran Duranesque. As I said, almost on a weekly basis I heard people saying the track needed a Prince beat, or a Prince style synth sound. Every new Trevor Horn production that came along, people tried to copy the techniques and sounds he'd used.
The Blue Nile were another band many musos and producers loved and were inspired by.
None of this makes Duran Duran a bad band, just that I've never come across anyone pitching them as highly influential before, and certainly not regarding EDM. No real guitars, real bass, or real drums in EDM for a start.
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely, I'm seriously saying that, without a doubt.
I lived and worked in London right throughout that period.
Duran were seen as pop stars in the main. The songs were catchy, the videos extravagant, the boys looked cute.
I never met anyone who was influenced by them, certainly not in synth based dance music. I think I was in that generation, and was involved in recording similar sounding pop in London studios at the time and can't remember anyone referencing Duran, or Rhodes..... ever. Sorry that's just the honest truth. If anyone admired them it was because they wrote great pop songs, And I worked with a lot of pop producers, and keyboard players. The fairlight was ever present on most of my sessions. The big Fairlight/Synclavier influences were Peter Gabriel and Trevor Horn - Art Of Noise. The big pop synth influences were Prince, Thomas Dolby, Michael Jackson and lots of individual RnB records at the time - Shalamar, Kashif, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Change. Probably the people most often referenced were Prince and Trevor Horn.
I'm sure along with Spandau Ballet and George Michael they influenced dance tinged pop for a much later generation..... but that wasn't your claim.
Then you didn't meet many people then
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well literally it is not. It's just my experience working in London between 1980 and 2000, often recording with pop bands using computer sequencers, racks of synths and drum machines.
Not once did anyone say "can you imagine Nick Rhodes while you play the synth part'".
Not once was the drum groove described as Duran Duranesque. As I said, almost on a weekly basis I heard people saying the track needed a Prince beat, or a Prince style synth sound. Every new Trevor Horn production that came along, people tried to copy the techniques and sounds he'd used.
The Blue Nile were another band many musos and producers loved and were inspired by.
None of this makes Duran Duran a bad band, just that I've never come across anyone pitching them as highly influential before, and certainly not regarding EDM. No real guitars, real bass, or real drums in EDM for a start.
Fair enough Chrisso, I am not calling you a liar or anything, and I agree with the references you make in terms of Prince/T Horn and whatnot, ... I just believe that while many were not able to admit it, the sonic landscape created by them was integral to the time... it perhaps was just not fashionable to say. They were perceived as perhaps a "One Direction", "O-Town" blah blah blah of their time due to the screaming masses, which unfortunately categorized their work as pandering, which was not. Not to say everything they did was brilliant or anything, but as a young boy growing up, the clever approach to sound design and synth usage showed me a world I never dreamed I would see.
Old 8th March 2013
Gear Guru

in the 1st few years of the 80's there were a few UK artists that recovered the psychedelic sound.

a guy called nick nicely made some great material. some of which was released but badly promoted and some which wasn't released. This is an unreleased one which was eventually got out by nick on an EP called psychotropia.

I just came across this right now because I was re listening to nick nicely's great Hilly Fields track. so this is the 1st time I've heard this as well.

nick nicely - on the beach (the ladder descends)
Old 18th May 2013
Lives for gear

Nick Rhodes is my hero! We even took our band name from one of their B-sides. Looking forward to the new DD album, I love AYNIN - it captures the spirit and style of the band (unlike the outright HORRIBLE RCM) and I'm looking forward to the next album with MR.

Yes, I am a fanboy. Live with it! :-)
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not once was the drum groove described as Duran Duranesque.
indeed.
Nobody i've worked with has ever referenced a DD track, except once when someone mentioned the Fairlight used on Notorious. That was it.

and the JP-8 is better associated with Howard Jones, the way a pro-one is to Vince. but whatever.

thing is this: DD were always a pop band first, w/ a keyboard player that uses synths - they're hardly pioneers of any sort, by any stretch - except to those that already love them, and in the sense of being early to putting videos on MTV
personally, I feel The Human League beat em to it and evidence abounds- as they are referenced much more often - partly because they didn't start out as a pop act; their 1st 2 records are focused on electronic music, specifically.
Even more, i feel that almost NOBODY is responsible for pioneering much of anything - we stand on the shoulders of giants before us- and it's just an evolutionary chain that will carry on regardless of 'who gets credit'.

DD are 'influential to some' and lets leave it at that.
Old 19th May 2013
Ha, I'm listening to the single right now @ spotify, glad I saw this thread
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
indeed.
Nobody i've worked with has ever referenced a DD track, except once when someone mentioned the Fairlight used on Notorious. That was it.

and the JP-8 is better associated with Howard Jones, the way a pro-one is to Vince. but whatever.

thing is this: DD were always a pop band first, w/ a keyboard player that uses synths - they're hardly pioneers of any sort, by any stretch - except to those that already love them, and in the sense of being early to putting videos on MTV
personally, I feel The Human League beat em to it and evidence abounds- as they are referenced much more often - partly because they didn't start out as a pop act; their 1st 2 records are focused on electronic music, specifically.
Even more, i feel that almost NOBODY is responsible for pioneering much of anything - we stand on the shoulders of giants before us- and it's just an evolutionary chain that will carry on regardless of 'who gets credit'.

DD are 'influential to some' and lets leave it at that.

You can always tell someone who is just parroting back what they "think" Nick Rhodes was supposed to be, was jeleous that his girlfriend masturbated to Duran posters, and thought the cover of Teen Beat was journalism

If this guy actually listened to a track like Arcadia's "The Promise" and didn't get why it worked, then ya just can't be helped... but I'm sure David Gilmore, Herbie Hancock and Sting were hacks too
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search