The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mopho: analog/digital? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Yea, it lacks CCs for some parameters.
That may be because the number of available CC's is limited in the MIDI specification. There's only 128 CC's but quite a few of them are already reserved for things like aftertouch, mod wheel, and control pedal. On the other hand, there are 16384 available NRPN's which can be freely assigned to any parameters.

Actually, NRPN's are set by means of CC's. Two CC's are used for setting the active NRPN number, and another two CC's are used to change the value of the active NRPN. Once the active NRPN has been set, you only need to send value change CC's to modify its value, so NRPN's are best used when you're tweaking only one parameter at a time; otherwise, you will clog the MIDI stream with lots of NRPN setting messages.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

to know:
if the mopho its or not analog.

should be connected to a decent 50Mhz oscillator: Rigol, GW, Tek, etc...
a 10khz square wave should be generated, no filters, no modulations...

if mopho is "Analog with Digital Control"... the 10khz square wave should look perfect.
(same shape as the lower octaves)
if looks different... its digital.

http://old.nabble.com/What%27s-analo...506280i20.html
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
That is an oxymoron. Audio path analog with digital oscillators?
I don't get it? An oxymoron?

Even if i had a undisputedly fully digital signal to work with, the audio path is what comes after that signal is generated*?

So if you take a sample, do a D/A conversion and then send it through analogue mixers, filters and VCA's you would have an analogue signal path with a digital oscillator.
No problem in that for me?
Certainly not an oxymoron?

* we could call that signal generation the audio source (and so differentiate it from the path that that source later has to follow)
Old 21st March 2011
Pym
Lives for gear

The Mopho is an entirely analog signal path, the only source that is digitally generated is the noise. The sub oscillator signal is created by the flip flops, which flips high to low voltage based on the oscillator source. There is no DAC or ADC in the signal, that's where the differentiation is usually made for a digital vs. analog source.
Old 21st March 2011
I have one and it sounds fantastic. It could be made of pulverized unicorn skulls from the fifth dimension for all I care.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search