The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nord Lead 3 - Digital Aliasing Issues Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
It's pretty pathetic that this problem is even there as it's not a cheap synth. Having to compensate for a manufacture fault is a joke and I would have had an RMA on it just as quick as I got it out of the box.
It may not be the manufacturers problem.
I mean, if you boost the gain on any cenverter (or other audio device) too much you will hear noise.
It may be that the gain staging is at fault and you actually hear the LSB at work.
The only fault of the manufacturer would then be the lack of dither, but that may be a design restriction.
But then you would be hearing hiss that is as loud or louder than the artefact.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Is there any trimmer anywhere to calibrate the DAC? It's not uncommon on some gear for it to need readjustment (I think people mention this problem with the Roland JD series fairly often), but it's not applicable to every design. It sounds like what you're getting, though- increasing distortion at lower amplitudes.
Old 31st December 2010
I've always had this problem, I just never considered it a huge problem, but now I am very persnickety about recording and I don't want it to be an issue. If I compress any sound from the Nord, it immediately becomes an issue.

I contacted Clavia tech support and gave them a demo of the problem, but they said it was "to be expected" as with any digital synth and that I should "try to work around it." Not kidding.
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
I contacted Clavia tech support and gave them a demo of the problem, but they said it was "to be expected" as with any digital synth and that I should "try to work around it." Not kidding.
I'm just going to leave this here,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
It's the Nord Lead 3s. That's just how they sound. It's the reason a lot of people, including myself, have kept their Lead 2s.

If you still don't believe me, read some of the reviews http://www.vintagesynth.com/clavia/nord3.php
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Pure bollocks Clavia !

Quote:
they said it was "to be expected" as with any digital synth and that I should "try to work around it." Not kidding
I have a Virus, MS2000, AN1X and JP-8000 and have never heard patches with distorted artefacts on any of them.

Sell it dfegad

but wait a minute you could just buy iZotope RX and remove the distortion for each recording
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
I've always had this problem, I just never considered it a huge problem, but now I am very persnickety about recording and I don't want it to be an issue. If I compress any sound from the Nord, it immediately becomes an issue.

Did you check your levels?
And can you send a sample without compressor?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Never had this problem on my patches.
Surely, as mentioned by monomer, the Lead 3 will distort easily when pushed too hard, but I' not getting this kind of crappy noise.

Post the patch and I will check on mine if you like.
Old 1st January 2011
Recorded at 24 bit/88.2 khz on my Fireface 400. 24 bit/44.1khz at mixdown. No compression. No dithering upon mixdown, obviously.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r0wfrd

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search