The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SEEKING! EDM Fat Mixing Mastering
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

SEEKING! EDM Fat Mixing Mastering

hhh
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you can afford it, go to Rob Babicz

robert babicz
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

yes i heard a great deal about him! Unfortunately, i dont believe i have the budget, although it would be nice to find others who do similar work
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's a tricky one... Your music is already at a respectable quality level, so chances are that most budget solutions will not be of great benefit.

... But then you need to be confident that you are going to sell a ****load before you can viably afford the likes of Herr Babicz.
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks alot I guess that would be a factor, but truly its more just to develop my sound as a producer to learn how to get that FATNESS :D
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

im a firm believer that mastering doesnt make it 'phat' mastering only makes things louder and possibly wider. When you're mixing try and nail the sound you want there mainly. Experiment with EQ's on your buses to add bottom and top ends to your grouped instruments and widening tools.
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

id believe so but i keep hearing different opinions from lots of sources (its in the mixing, master) aswell as hearing that stereo spreaders are no good :/
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

shameless bump XD
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

just listened to your tracks, theyre pretty spot on man I wouldn't do anything more to them.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

80 euro per track isn't too bad.

Does he do mastering for Vinyl presses too?
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

@mardigras Thank but im a perfectionist when it comes to these things haha!

@fooddude its 80 euros per track for mr babitz?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I dunno...that's what it says in the above link..

n00b question: digital mastering is totally different than vinyl mastering, correct? ...assuming the grooves of the vinyl have to be perfect and to be in a way so it doesn't skip off of the groove if too high on peaks or kicks, or back tracked or even played regularly, correct?
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

sorry man i dont know i never mastered vinyl
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post

n00b question: digital mastering is totally different than vinyl mastering, correct? ...assuming the grooves of the vinyl have to be perfect and to be in a way so it doesn't skip off of the groove if too high on peaks or kicks, or back tracked or even played regularly, correct?
I'm not sure what you mean in terms of Vs digital mastering... you could also have fully analogue mastering (in terms of the tools used) that is not for vinyl... but then possibly still rendered to a digital format such as CD or Wav/mp3.
...When people talk of 'digital mastering', I think it tends to refer to mastering 'in the box'... though not always, and even most analogue mastering will involve some digital element AFAIK.

... but with vinyl there are additional considerations due to the format, such as limitations to any stereo width in lower frequencies.
One crucial factor is compensating for how vinyl affects the sound; I can't remember if vinyl hypes or attenuates low frequencies... but you need to EQ the opposite into the master to compensate.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

funny enough when i stopping tracking so hot my tracks were actually quieter but they had their own spot and my tracks sounded huge!!! and then when i mastered them they sounded ever bigger. but track with clarity; and that will help.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomewpro View Post
funny enough when i stopping tracking so hot my tracks were actually quieter but they had their own spot and my tracks sounded huge!!! and then when i mastered them they sounded ever bigger. but track with clarity; and that will help.
This is really good advice, especially when mixing ITB. People often try and run each track as hot as possible believing that if each individual track is as loud as possible the the perceived loudness of a track will be greater.

As listeners we actually respond much more to dynamics than constant loudness, so bringing faders down, whilst still maintaining the gain staging relationship between tracks,will result in a track with much more clarity, and headroom for decent mastering. Some mastering engineers even request projects that whose RMS is as low as -6db.
Old 8th April 2013
Here for the gear
Budget Mastering

Further to what was said in this thread regarding the importance of mixing I couldn't agree more. A badly mixed track is not going to magically be turned into a dancefloor filler through any kind of mastering, even mastering of the highest caliber. The mixing stage is absolutely critical to the overall sound and producers should keep the kind of sound they are going for in mind throughout the whole production process (fat and punchy, warm with plenty breathing space etc.)

That said, mastering has become somewhat the norm and many record label owners are used to hearing tracks that have been mixed and mastered to perfection. Therefore I really believe that left unmastered, some tracks could be considered incomplete.

Now when it comes to quality analogue mastering, it is usually really expensive to master each one of your tracks at $100+ unless you know you're going to sell hundreds per month. We provide a quality online mastering service where we use a combination of industry standard analogue hardware and some great software to obtain great results. Affordable mastering of this quality is hard to come by and I would recommend this service to anyone wanting to get the best of both worlds in terms of quality and price.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

I recently mastered an album (although 2 tracks will be replaced with even better versions)

VelvetDreamer2013 by jazzavu on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

If you like the sound of tracks like Afternoon Tea, then it might be interesting for you.
And I take much less than 100$. I have analog equipment, too, API, Foote, Elysia,
but the right plugins work great these days. Stem-Mastering works best for me.
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post

Yes, the mastering process for vinyl is different and separate from the mastering for digital or CD release.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search