The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best VST Plugin for learning synthesis (for a deep house producer) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Best VST Plugin for learning synthesis (for a deep house producer)

First of all merry christmas to everyone!

I'm looking to get more comfortable programming my own sounds for producing deep house music. Right now I have a pretty solid grasp of engineering drums (though doing patterns takes me forever, thats why I'm getting maschine), but am overly reliant on presets to find sounds I want. I use mainly omnisphere and trillian for patch surfing, but the chordy, chuggy, melodic sounds I'm after that really fill out a deep house track are few and far between.

So, what vst plugin would be a good starting point for making these kinds of sounds? I'm a fan of knob-per-function interfaces so I don't have to go digging through too many pages. Also I'm also kind of a sucker for high-res GUIs, so nothing too ugly/dated please.

some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpL5vYPrUPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrjTtkLfMcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dW7kdONnbo

Right now I'm considering NI Massive, Lennar Sylenth1, and XILS PolyKB.

Thanks!!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Easy,

Nice taste!!

The overriding sound in all of those examples is an ePiano. For this type of sound, I tend to use Native Instruments' Elektrik Piano (rompler rather than synthesiser)... but IIRC that is discontinued.

Purely in terms of sound, I'd say the best soft synths are DCAM synth squad, plus the offerings from Xils Lab.
If you get DCAM, also get the Electric Himalaya & Plughugger preset packs... great for deep house.

In terms of 'learning synthesis', arguably Uhe ACE might be quite simple/clear/typical.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
The overriding sound in all of those examples is an ePiano. For this type of sound, I tend to use Native Instruments' Elektrik Piano (rompler rather than synthesiser)... but IIRC that is discontinued.
And good riddance, because Scarbee Mark 1 is much, much better.

These sounds aren't rocket science on any capable 2-osc lowpass filter subtractive machine, but you want to learn, and it's probably more useful to learn everything than just moody minor chords with a nearly turned-down filter. However, they're generally resampled, and the sampler's filter is then used to let the sound modulate.

Even Software Synthesizer Synth1 would let you learn a lot - and you can adjust the interface scale so if you want to view this at 150% size, that's an option. I've mine set up with a light grey background - the mustard yellow is not mandatory.

I've got Massive and Sylenth, but out of those two, I'd pick Massive - bigger range of sounds and more modulation options - and then you can resample stuff anyway. However, Massive's learning curve is steeper.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

for *learning* I think sylenth is your best bet. Really dead simple UI (but not pretty, hehe) for programming your OWN stuff. sounds great too

DCAM gets a lot of love around here.. I think, a little too much honestly I have it as well btw, and it is quite good but strictly for learning purposes I think Sylenth's UI is simpler and more intuitive to programming your own bits, plus its a deeper synth, more OSCs and modulation stuff.. well maybe not more modulation stuff but its a lot easier to use.. and very thrifty on CPU, unlike both DCAM and Massive.

my 2 pense

s
Old 25th December 2010

get sylenth 1, or fabfilter twin 2

something extremely simple to wrap your head around (fabfilter for me was stupidly easy, you drag your mouse over any parameter and in the corner itll give you a low-down on whats happening)

then you can take the basic knowledge and apply it to more in depth synths, and other methods.

subtractive to wave table to additive to FM to granular..

yada yada
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I'm still learning, but I picked up most of what I know from messing with the SQ-80 synth. It's hardware, but it's so logically laid out that It forces you to learn, more than reading pseudo scientific articles on synthesis.

I don't know if is the same, but the SQ-80 has a free vst emulation that follows the same format and sounds really ****ing good.

It's called SQ-8L

this here

[www.buchty.net] Section Ensoniq
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

excellent taste in deep house. great to hear a TR909 in use again. Make me wanna fire mine up and start makin deep house too. That chord synth sounds highly decimated or at least coming from old d/a converters. This was made in 2010? Sounds delightfully old school :c). Doesnt have that software sheen at all.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
excellent taste in deep house. great to hear a TR909 in use again. Make me wanna fire mine up and start makin deep house too. That chord synth sounds highly decimated or at least coming from old d/a converters. This was made in 2010? Sounds delightfully old school :c). Doesnt have that software sheen at all.
wait the Tr 909 was stopped being used?

on topic, sylenth is great, so is massive, get them both! lol
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

honestly i'd say get the tal-audio synths.. they're basic, good sounding and free.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

The first two tracks do indeed sound like an ePiano.

The third sounds like a dub techno synth stab, which can be made using any dual osc subtractive synth.

An excellent tutorial using NI massive for that sound here: Native Instruments Massive
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Agnes and Mountain People use samples. There are a few packs they have used by loopmasters and EQ so might be worth checking them out although that doesnt help you understand how the original samples were made.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm gonna go primarily with massive as there are lots of tutorial vids. I've also made some progress with fm8
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

The others recommended are great synths; you will definitely cover a whole lot of ground with massive and fm8 ..BTW you can buy an le version of xils for $20 that is.incredible value and such a heavy sound!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search