The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which hardware sampler is best for what I want to do? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upfineclouds View Post
I've come to the point in my synthing where I can no longer limit myself to the sounds each synth makes by itself. Any synth. I would like to be able to design the sounds that are in my mind without accumulating a wall of synths.

So I devised a simple workflow based on two major components:

1. A sound design studio - using a Mac laptop and all imaginable sound sources from virtual plugins, through my synths to my kitchen noises.

2. A strictly hardware sampler for playing the ready made sounds in real time, in a keyboard/rompler kind of manner (not the drum sampler way).

While the first step is easy and readily available to me, finding the appropriate sampler isn't.

What I need is a hardware sampler so that I can keep my playing away from any laptop/computer. It would be nice to be able to use it as a part of sound design too, although it's not essential as the laptop has got all the power needed.

The most important thing is the ability to transfer the .wav files to the sampler so that they are playable from the MIDI keyboard chromatically.

Does such a solution exist? If so, do samplers retain the loaded samples when they are powered down?
You already have some excellent answer to your questions but I will offer mine as well.

Lately what I really missed was a protable sampling solution.

I bought Zoom H4n for recording samples from mics or from line. And also ordered yesterday KORG MICROSAMPLER.

MS is excellent choice for those people who are not too demanding from their sampling and they want a very portable solution. It even has a very basic solution giving you more freedome with how you use your samples.

IT IS NOT a full blown sample magler. But I have my Camel audio Alchemy for that, which can do miracles for samples and burn to the ground any sampler out there.

But if you like me you want a very easy tool that can sample and resample and store internally without the need of usb flash . Then MS might be for you.

Its incredible how limited / crippled tools like MS can be an enormous source of inspiration. Simplicity can really motivate you make music.

I will possible post a review when I get my MS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search