The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hasta La Vista KORE1 Audio Interfaces
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hasta La Vista KORE1

Yeap , its dead , its gone, its burned, cripple, destroyed , gone bye bye.

It has been 6 good years. Probably not a long lived piece of equipment, but lately , it was even sending electricity to my body when i touched it. Dont worry not a very strong current. Something was very wrong inside it. It was turning on and off randomly, and it was clear that it was living its last days.

Today at 9am , Kore1 died... it wont be missed.

Kore1 for you who dont know it is a product made by Native Instruments its both a very advanced midi controller and sound card(KORE2 is no longer a sound card). Advanced midi controller meaning along the lines of Novation Remote, I would dare say more stable and much better interface. But as with Novation Remote it was plagues with crashes and so I stoped using it as a midi controller for my software instruments after the first year.

But I have to admit, it was a pretty decent sound card. Ok sound quality and actually a very solid ASIO support unlike its midi capabilities it was pretty stable even in Windoom.

However its gone and now I need a new sound card. I dont care about the midi capabilites I have a Novation 37 Remote it fills the gaps just fine and a Behringer BCR2000.

My issue with KORE1 was its extremely limited inputs and outputs. 1 for each. It was ok and perfectly fine when I was in the software land, but nowdays I rely heavily on my hardware and so the amount of inputs and outputs is an issue. Especially the inputs.

So I want something that has at least 6-8 inputs that can take in 6-8 synthesizers. I have andromeda, motif and blofeld and so those are already 3 and there is always the possibility to get more. Outputs is not a big issue , 2 will be fine.

However here comes the difficult part where I really need your assistance I really really really really want a portable studio/recorder/sound card. In short I try to take audio record outside my iMAC. Yeah sure I would still love to edit in my DAW and even add some VSTs. But I would love to keep my computer off and just play with my synths while recording them. Remember it will still have to be a quite good sound card.

Also there is a chance that I might move my synths to another room than they are now, far away from my computer so the need for a portable recorder is a MUST HAVE.

Ok I have looked around and there is one that interest me

Cakewalk Sonar V-Studio 100 (VS-100) | DV247

but there are others like

Zoom R24 Digital Recorder, Sampler, USB Interface and DAW Controller | DV247

and

Zoom R16 Digital Recorder, USB Audio Interface and DAW Controller | DV247

my price is at the 500 euros area, I can go up to 600 if there is a very good reason too.

Of course it will have to work with MACs flawlessly.

I dont care so much about firewire , USB2 will be just fine.

And my only fear is that it wont be a very good sound card, If it is silightly better than my KORE1 then it will be ok for me. I dont care for ultra high 96/24 recording, but it is a welcomed feature.

I am doing my own research, since 500 euros are an important purchase the I dont want to regret and I dont want to make the same mistakes with KORE1. Eventhough to be sincere KORE1 for its price (500 euros) did serve me quite well.

So people shoot your recommendations. I am very interested. And I must buy the soundcard ASAP.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'd wait until NAMM before making any decisions.
Old 25th December 2010
get a second hand rme fireface 400 and you wont be dissapointed
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok people I think I have nailed my choice but I want a second opinion on this. I decided to brake my purchase in 2 parts.

1 part audio interface / mixer which I am more into this

ALESIS MULTIMIX 8 USB FX - Greek International Cyberstore

MultiMix 8 USB 2.0 Integrated USB 2.0 audio interface and mixer

and a sampler keyboard which is korg microsampler. I have wacthed several videos with this little vacuum cleaner and seem quite neat and since I am a sampling person , already purchased a zoom h4n, so i though what better use for my samples. And i really lack a good rythmbox / beatmaking machine , i think it will fit that role very well.

KORG MICROSAMPLER - Greek International Cyberstore

The great news is that I managed to cram it in 600 euros total for both of them so I am still on budget which kind of cool.

Any though on this ? I am mainly interested in hooking my Andromeda and motif into a low latency 44.1khz audio usb interface. So I am not too demanding.

Is my choice cool, the alesis mixer?

any owner who might want to chime in ?

Sorry for not waiting for Namm, but I want a solution now. And sorry for not being keen on going to a second hand audio interface but I am no fan of second hand equipment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search