The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TR-909 died, looking for modern replacement for it's kick drum Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

TR-909 died, looking for modern replacement for it's kick drum

Loooong time lurker, first time poster.

The TR-909, love it or hate it works well, everything from it's sound to sequencer. I used it's kick on nearly everything I've ever done in one way or another. Usually running through a bunch of other things, but in general the original kick came from it.

It's kick seems to just sit well in nearly everything. I mostly used it with it's tune down nearly all the way.

I'm basically looking for something that has a similar kick. Sequencer, and other sounds aren't so important. I'm just looking for advice on a hardware piece preferably analog that just works in a mix like that 909 kick.

I'm leaning towards the Jomox MBase.01

How's it sit in a mix, anyone have one?
Old 25th December 2010
i dunno but i'll take the dead tr-909 of your hands if you still got it.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
i dunno but i'll take the dead tr-909 of your hands if you still got it.
It did a LOT of touring with me, so I originally planned on keeping it for memories. But I had an outrageous offer from a guy so I had to sell it for parts.

To put it simple, I bought it for $700 in it's original box in the 90's and got more for it broken then I bought it for in mint condition

I still have the original Roland TR-909 cardboard box if you want that, although it's badly beaten up now...
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Jomox M-Base comes to mind right away.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

This may sound a little crazy but.. I have a real 909 myself and I think the d16 drumazon plugin has a better sounding kick than my 909, especially if you run it thru a board or analog compressor. The rest of sounds of the drumazon don't sound as good as the real thing in my personal opinion though.

I'm sure that jomox sounds great
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, if you don't mind software, Drumazon IS the way to go. I use it for my 909 sounds since i sold mine off almost 10 years ago. I also sold my 808 a bit before that and now use D16's Nephaton along with Nithonat. Great stuff! Their Devastor plug in is ugly in the best possible way!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

MPC with 909 sample pack.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Goldbaby all the way!!!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use the Jomox Xbase09, only got it recently so not much to upload right now. But it's the finest kick I've heard in any hardware (or soft) instrument. It's supposed to be a 808/909-clone, I think.

It also has some very good percussion sounds, tho' so far I'm not too impressed with the high-hat.

I hear the Mbase01 & 11 are supposed to be the same kick as the Xbase...but I'm not sure. The Xbase has an onboard sequencer and can be used as a drum machine (limited to 3 tracks).
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

so sad...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

there's those AS eurorack modules.. you could get a little baby doepfer case, and the AS BD99 kick module? You could also get a few other drum voices too. You would also need a way to trigger it, but any cv converter gate output should do the job just for the 909 kick module.

jomox kicks can sound pretty close to me, but you really need to keep a lot of the parameters under control for them to sound right. they've got very extreme parameter setting ranges. in this case you can get the mbase, or maybe get an airbase 99 and a midi controller that can be set up to drive all its parameters.. airbase 99 is pretty cheap these days.

none of your options are going to sound exactly like your 909 kick.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you for all the replies so far.

To get a better idea here, I'm already an owner of these drum machines:

DRM1 MKII (Silver w/Silver knobs)
TR-606 w/Midi
TR-727
TR-808 w/Kenton Midi

They are all great and have there own spots in a mix, but that 909 kick just works so well.

I also have a Kenton Pro-2000 w/DCB option for my Juno-60 so CV/Gate is an easy option for me. The only CV/Gate being used on it is my SH-101 and Mono/Poly so I have 6 extra CV outputs for whatever I want (usually MoogerFoogers, I have all of them)

Maybe re-buying a 909 is my only option?

I've been a Pro Tools user since 1998, and was beta testing Ableton Live pre v1.0 and the computer/software/sample thing just isn't my cup of tea.

Samples and most digital gear is not my thing. But I don't want to come off as an anal-og elitist. It's just not what I feel comfortable with.

Maybe a blind buy of the MBase.11 is in my best interest? I wish I knew someone who had one... if it can come close to the 909, it's all I would need.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Slightly off topic, but I might add this in.

On the 909 I owned, when in pattern write mode and the kick selected, the sound on the kick would have this electronic buzz type sound that would layer itself over top of the kick itself. The kick would sound identical in every sense, but it would have an added fuzz that's hard to explain.

When no mid range, or hi hats were going on, the sound of the kick was unreal. It would cut through all the way into hi hat range.

I think that's the main reason why I fell in love with how it sat in a mix. I would purposely leave the 909 in write mode on the kick drum during any recording session since it was the only way to get that specific sound.

The more I think of it, the more it seems I'll just end up replacing it...

That is, if all 909's behave this way...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

For hardware, yeah, i think the M-Base is your best bet. Apart from another 909 of course =o]
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

You could also try tracking down the 9090 clone.. 9090 :: Drum Synthesiser //
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you consider how many times someone will hear that kick drum during an hour set; analog might start looking like a better choice even if the D16 nails it. Static repetition fatigues the ear and while I can't argue the D16 is static, I'm sure it's more consistent than your old 909. I like both, but for anything live I'd prefer to be working with something that has some imperfection, drift and warmth.

I like the Jomox Airbase a lot. But it's stronger than a 909 kick at most of it's settings. I think the MBase has more 808+909 range, but it's been years since I played with one.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

That's an expensive sequencer =o]

MAC only?
Old 26th December 2010
from what I understand the true 909 kick is quite hard to replicate if you want to be really accurate...? I had a Mbase 11 and it didnt really sound like a 909....I hear the Airbase rack is better?

Problem with samples is that you need really to have them set as a round robin playing multiple alternatives - otherwise its not as organic - but if you could do that on an MPC I think that might be good...

The Addictive Drums Reel Tape kit looks good as they did quite a bit of layering/multisampling with saturation and also some live room capture - it sounds like the most realistic kit Ive heard as asmples...but anything sample based is limited on synthesis...

For me the software emulations sound convincing but ultimately a digital produced kick sounds too sterile and doesnt have that same soft punch...however if you ran it thru some hardware that would probably help a lot...

Just my experience but Im not a 909 expert like some others...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Slutty = Expensive, hmmm... I should raise the price.

Yeah, it's Mac only at present. A port is actively in progress (finally), but no ETA can be made available yet. If you have releases out or can prove in some other tangible way you're an artist then we have discounts. PM me if you have any questions...

And now, we return back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

as an 808 and 909 user, Ill be keeping mine for years to come, even though the D16 stuff gets scary close. You may get the sound but its the hands on experience that you really miss with software.

The 909 kick is something you cant really replicate, unless you have a sample of that exact kick from your 909 in one of your tracks. That might be a temporary option.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I had the 909, Mbase, Airbase, DRM-1 and some other stuff. Only the 909 sound like the 909, and the Mbase boxes sound the least like it. Buy another 909, get a 909 kickdrum module or use samples.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
Slutty = Expensive, hmmm... I should raise the price.

Yeah, it's Mac only at present. A port is actively in progress (finally), but no ETA can be made available yet. If you have releases out or can prove in some other tangible way you're an artist then we have discounts. PM me if you have any questions...

And now, we return back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Cool. I have quite a few releases out actually. Some vinyl, some digital. I'll PM ya details. I love freaky sequencers, this is something i could have fun with whenever it might hit Windoze.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post

I've been a Pro Tools user since 1998, and was beta testing Ableton Live pre v1.0 and the computer/software/sample thing just isn't my cup of tea.

Samples and most digital gear is not my thing. But I don't want to come off as an anal-og elitist. It's just not what I feel comfortable with.
Jeff Mills?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco judas View Post
Jeff Mills?
From the same area, know the same people... unfortunately not me :(

If I was mills, buying another 10 909's wouldn't be an issue!

the 9090 looks cool, but maybe just saving the extra cash and re-buying is my only option. The sequencer was killer too...

As a first time poster, thanks to all who have replied so far.

This board really is something else.
Old 27th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
analog might start looking like a better choice even if the D16 nails it. Static repetition fatigues the ear and while I can't argue the D16 is static, I'm sure it's more consistent than your old 909. I like both, but for anything live I'd prefer to be working with something that has some imperfection, drift and warmth.
Drumazon's kick does sound amazingly similar and is most definitely not "static", especially noticable in very high bpm for example. When processing it as usual with a limiter, compressor, or preamp, it's pretty much indistinguishable from a tr-909. Now, the hi hats, that's something else unfortunately. They are also great, but there is some lack of high frequency detail compared to the tr-909. I hope they can nail that. But as far as the kick, personally I think it's a a very adequate replacement.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I am into development of such a kick generator.
I built the 9090 which sounds really great and immediately started to improve the idea.
After a few months experiment here is the concept:
- true 909 kick with full programmability
- enhanced 808 kick with adjustable tune
- the 808 can be synced to 909 and can serve as a sub
- digital control board with memory, pots, TurboMidi support and LCD screen
- compact form

So everything is here why we like 909, 808 and MBase.
The prototype is ready and as long as I write the firmware I will post some samples and pics. Estimated release in Q2 2011.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by covariance View Post
I am into development of such a kick generator.
I built the 9090 which sounds really great and immediately started to improve the idea.
After a few months experiment here is the concept:
- true 909 kick with full programmability
- enhanced 808 kick with adjustable tune
- the 808 can be synced to 909 and can serve as a sub
- digital control board with memory, pots, TurboMidi support and LCD screen
- compact form

So everything is here why we like 909, 808 and MBase.
The prototype is ready and as long as I write the firmware I will post some samples and pics. Estimated release in Q2 2011.
Sounds good! Any examples? Price?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Sounds good! Any examples? Price?
No samples yet, but got the name: Kicron.
I need about a month to set up the firmware and made the first samples. The 909 part will be an exact replica with added digital control and more parameters to tweak (pitch, tune depth, ramp, decay, pulse level, noise level, noise pattern, hold, distortion, level). The 808 part is 50% the same as the original circuit but also with full digital control. Pitch is adjustable and the decay range is wider. The only missing parameter is the Tone for the 808 part which is a simple lowpass to smooth the click sound of the 808 kick. However the click will be adjustable.
I like to keep the original character, the studio quality, big bottom and wide dynamics and also keep noise low to meet today's standards.
Traditional through-hole technology, quality components, no compromise so I guess it will sound nice. Price will be competitive.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
I had the 909, Mbase, Airbase, DRM-1 and some other stuff. Only the 909 sound like the 909, and the Mbase boxes sound the least like it. Buy another 909, get a 909 kickdrum module or use samples.
a big +1
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by covariance View Post
No samples yet, but got the name: Kicron.
I need about a month to set up the firmware and made the first samples. The 909 part will be an exact replica with added digital control and more parameters to tweak (pitch, tune depth, ramp, decay, pulse level, noise level, noise pattern, hold, distortion, level). The 808 part is 50% the same as the original circuit but also with full digital control. Pitch is adjustable and the decay range is wider. The only missing parameter is the Tone for the 808 part which is a simple lowpass to smooth the click sound of the 808 kick. However the click will be adjustable.
I like to keep the original character, the studio quality, big bottom and wide dynamics and also keep noise low to meet today's standards.
Traditional through-hole technology, quality components, no compromise so I guess it will sound nice. Price will be competitive.
Looking forward to it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search