The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TR-909 died, looking for modern replacement for it's kick drum Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 28th December 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
AshleySmith06's Avatar
 

+1 for GoldBaby samples and FXpansion's Geist
Old 28th December 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 

I'd get a 909 again. I have a 909, but I don't have an 808, and use samples of an 808 on my MPC 60 and it does sound good... but it's just not the same as having the real one. Yes, I can detune and there's velocity control now, etc., etc... but samples of an 808/909 just aint the same sounds too "the same" hit after hit, sounds recorded, etc ...that, and making/sampling a dumb sound disk for my MPC takes forever as compared to just twisting a knob on an 808/909.
Old 28th December 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
 

I will say the same thing to the OP that I said to Fooddude a few months ago.

"Get the 909. You will not regret it. If you do, you can always sell it for what you paid for it." It is what it is...

For some reason I feel like a member of the choir preaching to the pastor! heh
Old 28th December 2010
  #34
Gear Guru
You gotta get another 909 unfortunately.. 808's sound great sampled... 909's not so much... unless you're sampling your own 909 thru dist/overdrive
Old 28th December 2010
  #35
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
you will not be happy with anything but another 909. i sold my 909 and missed it - sure i have an MPC and plenty of 909 samples, but it's just not the same... i didn't have to spend that much more to get another 909 - unlike my Juno 106 fiasco.

never sell anything. ever.
Old 4th February 2014
  #36
Gear Head
 
smoinync's Avatar
 

Could Yamaha ED10 replace 909's kick?
My 909, which i just got it last week, doesnt produce a kick drum but a kick hum. While ive been figuring ways to get it fixed, i run trig out into an ED10 & it gives some nice kicks & wide ranges of parameter adjustment. What would u say when its compared to jomox's ?
Old 4th February 2014
  #37
Old 4th February 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
To be honest it's the most disappointing of all the tiptop modules i've tried. Not as punchy as the real thing. I'm going to give it a bit more time but I'll probably sell it.
Old 4th February 2014
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoinync View Post
Could Yamaha ED10 replace 909's kick?
My 909, which i just got it last week, doesnt produce a kick drum but a kick hum. While ive been figuring ways to get it fixed, i run trig out into an ED10 & it gives some nice kicks & wide ranges of parameter adjustment. What would u say when its compared to jomox's ?
until you get your 909 serviced i think a good sample library is the most cost effective solution to you in the interim. I recommend the wave alchemy transistor revolution - which is a kontakt instrument containing multisampled 808 and 909 drums. over 20,000 samples in this instrument, next best to the real thing IMO.

or you could go for one of the goldbaby libraries - though these will be coloured (in a good way)
Old 4th February 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Why not just get it repaired?
Shouldn't be too hard for a decent tech
Old 4th February 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
until you get your 909 serviced i think a good sample library is the most cost effective solution to you in the interim. I recommend the wave alchemy transistor revolution - which is a kontakt instrument containing multisampled 808 and 909 drums. over 20,000 samples in this instrument, next best to the real thing IMO.

or you could go for one of the goldbaby libraries - though these will be coloured (in a good way)
cost effective maybe but even with 1 million samples capturing every possible 909 setting you are still left with a static snapshot when using samples.. this becomes even more apparent once you start processing.. any clone will imo still be more interesting (even if the exact tone isn't reproduced with 1:1 fidelity)
Old 4th February 2014
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoinync View Post
Could Yamaha ED10 replace 909's kick?
My 909, which i just got it last week, doesnt produce a kick drum but a kick hum. While ive been figuring ways to get it fixed, i run trig out into an ED10 & it gives some nice kicks & wide ranges of parameter adjustment. What would u say when its compared to jomox's ?
Hey M

good to see you posting, tho not good about the 909.

Plenty of techs in Bkk for normal electronics, if you know a good one, and have the schematics he should be able to track the problem down.

If not then

I've done plenty of repairs and mods in the past, I think with schematics I'd be able to find the prob,
and
I've got my contact in oz who is one of the best and I can call/email and get his opinion on what to look for.

Cheers
W
Old 4th February 2014
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
cost effective maybe but even with 1 million samples capturing every possible 909 setting you are still left with a static snapshot when using samples.. this becomes even more apparent once you start processing.. any clone will imo still be more interesting (even if the exact tone isn't reproduced with 1:1 fidelity)
well in the case of 1 million samples, i can't say i agree with your logic. you could have 10,000 round robin kicks sampled for each tiny movement of the controlls of the 909, each one would be different from the next.

also even with 1 static sample, you can easily treat that in a number of ways to give it more life and subtle variance. it doesnt have to be a new source wave every hit, as long as the resultant wave is different every hit, it won't read as a static sound.

but anyway, regardless, that's not my point .

my point is he already has a 909.
until he gets that fixed, a quality sample library should be adequate. IMO he doesnt really need to fork out money for an analogue kick generator when he has a world class kick waiting to go inside his 909 already. why pay for hardware that's going to be redundant once you have that 909 fixed? unless you can get that hardware cheeper than a good sample library, in which case.. whatever. its all good
Old 4th February 2014
  #44
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Why not just get it repaired?
Shouldn't be too hard for a decent tech
Because the thread is 3 years old by now, also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
It did a LOT of touring with me, so I originally planned on keeping it for memories. But I had an outrageous offer from a guy so I had to sell it for parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
i think he's replying to smoinync's post, not the OP
good point!
Old 4th February 2014
  #45
Deleted 2ecf148
Guest
roland aria tr-08
Old 4th February 2014
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Because the thread is 3 years old by now, also:
i think he's replying to smoinync's post, not the OP
Old 4th February 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
well in the case of 1 million samples, i can't say i agree with your logic. you could have 10,000 round robin kicks sampled for each tiny movement of the controlls of the 909, each one would be different from the next.

also even with 1 static sample, you can easily treat that in a number of ways to give it more life and subtle variance. it doesnt have to be a new source wave every hit, as long as the resultant wave is different every hit, it won't read as a static sound.

but anyway, regardless, that's not my point .

my point is he already has a 909.
until he gets that fixed, a quality sample library should be adequate. IMO he doesnt really need to fork out money for an analogue kick generator when he has a world class kick waiting to go inside his 909 already. why pay for hardware that's going to be redundant once you have that 909 fixed? unless you can get that hardware cheeper than a good sample library, in which case.. whatever. its all good
don't get me wrong i'd get that 909 fixed in a heartbeat however trust me from personal experience finding a 909 tech isn't that easy and tracking down certain problems in it can be tough even for the most experienced tech (i went 909-less for months with my 909 HH issue) besides the guy asked for hardware alternatives, and imo for good reason..

You are also missing my point which isn't about capturing every 909 setting with round robin samples but the fact that even at a specific knob & accent setting the BD never trigs in exactly the same way as can be seen when looking at waveforms. this has to do with the complex synth architecture of the analog BD:



but anyways i've think we've had this discussion before.. i've also noticed you plug this sample collection in just about any 909 thread.. i've gotta ask, are you involved or behind that product?
Old 4th February 2014
  #48
Lives for gear
 

I have an MBase 01 and I love it to death but I would never want it as a 909 replacement. Never. It's a drum kick synthesizer that shares some traits with the 909 kick but really it will never be the same. There are some people that built clones of the 909 kick circuitry that sound really well.

Also: that "sheen" over the sound when in write mode might be the lights on the step sequencer leaking into your audio.

I think you want another 909 not even exact replica of the kick circuit. It will always be "I really wanted X but I bought Y because it was cheaper but it just isn't the same" with all of the other stuff, even if it's just inside your head.
Old 4th February 2014
  #49
Trying to sell my Mbase01. Nothing wrong with it, I want the Mbase11 though. Agree that it's not a whole lot like a 909, but it is great!
Old 4th February 2014
  #50
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
To be honest it's the most disappointing of all the tiptop modules i've tried. Not as punchy as the real thing. I'm going to give it a bit more time but I'll probably sell it.
Anybody else who has experience with this module? Have had my eye on it for some time myself and recently been thinking about picking it up. But if it's not in the same ballpark as the real 909 BD I might as well just keep on making kicks with my mono synths.
Old 4th February 2014
  #51
Lives for gear
 
owensands's Avatar
Start a modular synth with the tiptop happy ending kit($150). They also make a 909 module that is an exact replica of the real 909 kick($170).


TipTop Audio Happy Ending Kit - Silver
TipTop Audio BD909
Old 4th February 2014
  #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post

but anyways i've think we've had this discussion before.. i've also noticed you plug this sample collection in just about any 909 thread.. i've gotta ask, are you involved or behind that product?


No, I'm pretty sure I got your point completely from the first moment you made it. No need for block diagrams. I get it .

Nope I'm not directly involved in that product in any way. I know a little about it's development and i have a professional relationship with wave alchemy.
So you CAN count that as vested interest if you want I suppose, because I benefit from wave alchemy's reputation in general terms.

The reason I'm often found in these drum threads is because I have an interest in disseminating awareness of my own sample library. so I read the thread to see if it's relevant. in this case, it's not relevant so i didn't mention it. in one case I’ve actually told a user NOT to buy my library even though it was recommended by someone else! Because i felt that it was not what they were after. Anyway, that's why I'll often be in an electronic drum thread... because, when electronic drums are mentioned, i read the thread. simple as that. and when I think i have genuine advice to give or a point to make, i do it.


The reason i mention the transistor revolution product all the time is because it's the best example of a dry 808/909 library that I personally am aware of.

I personally would not buy a 909 or an 808 today because this instrument exists. That's the truth. I think the only thing the instrument is possibly lacking that the real thing may have, is difference in transient if you start a drum sound before the last has finished its decay. other than that, i recon the sound is identical (for all PRACTICAL purposes without need for infinite round robins). And if we're talking about a theoretical library of a 909 containing a million examples, then I’m sure this case would be catered for.

BTW you may also note that i mention goldbaby and DMDSB all the time too..who I have no affiliation with in any way. again i mention them because they are the best IMO.
not so much tonebuilder/DMDSB anymore because it's sold out.

However, having said all of this, I don’t tend to use 808 or 909 sounds at all in my own music so my experience of all the different 909 library’s and instruments is limited, i mention the WA one because it's one I know about and I think it's a great concept, so why would i not mention it.

You can if you wish weigh that, and the fact that I have a relationship with wave alchemy against what I say.

sorry for the essay.
Old 4th February 2014
  #53
Lives for gear
 
bentley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbobwow View Post
Anybody else who has experience with this module? Have had my eye on it for some time myself and recently been thinking about picking it up. But if it's not in the same ballpark as the real 909 BD I might as well just keep on making kicks with my mono synths.
I had one briefly and was disappointed as well. While it's not terrible, something is definitely off. It doesn't have the same weight as a real 909. I owned a real 909 for numerous years and am very aware of what the unprocessed kick sounds like coming out of my speakers. The TipTop just didn't sound quite right to me.
Old 5th February 2014
  #54
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
I had one briefly and was disappointed as well. While it's not terrible, something is definitely off. It doesn't have the same weight as a real 909. I owned a real 909 for numerous years and am very aware of what the unprocessed kick sounds like coming out of my speakers. The TipTop just didn't sound quite right to me.
Alright, guess it's off my radar then.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #55
I have both a MBase 1_1 as well as a Yamaha RY10 and when they are processed through a moogerfooger MF101 they can sound awesome. Even though the yammy is digital, I suspect that using an RY30 could have even better results
Old 23rd July 2014
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
After reading threads with this topic for more than 3 years now I've yet to see a kick drum module / drum machine that would widely be regarded as a decent replacement for the 909 kick - most importantly having that punch to the gut.

If you know one, please let me know.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #57
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
After reading threads with this topic for more than 3 years now I've yet to see a kick drum module / drum machine that would widely be regarded as a decent replacement for the 909 kick - most importantly having that punch to the gut.

If you know one, please let me know.
I bought the AR partial with the hope that I would be able to sell my. 909. Now that I have had it for sometime I don't believe I will sell it. I've made some pretty decent kicks with it but it seems to lack the weight of the 909. That heavy thud. Don't misunderstand me tho. It can do some pounding kicks. But it seems to have that hard style dance edge to it. Not my thing at all really. At the end of the day I find myself layering them together. AR providing texture and a different layer. It gives the 909 a new lease on life. Generally speaking I am quite happy with the rest of the sounds in the AR. I like the hats for sure. The toms can do some decent bass. Cowbell is a friggen joke! so I will either leave it as a sample slot or twist the cowbell around to create a new sound. Functional it's excellent. Really like the scene and performance features too. It's really exceeded my expectations in a lot of ways. I am having quite a bit of fun with it. It would be fair to day that it has grown on me somewhat since my first comments in the AR thread which could be constructed as negative. Which I am not. I just try to be objective. Guess I am not an Elektron fan boy.


Wonder what the OP did to resolve his problem... If anything. ???
Old 7th August 2014
  #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
After reading threads with this topic for more than 3 years now I've yet to see a kick drum module / drum machine that would widely be regarded as a decent replacement for the 909 kick - most importantly having that punch to the gut.

If you know one, please let me know.
Have you tried an Aira TR-8 thingy?
Old 7th August 2014
  #59
Gear Guru
Old thread.. pretty funny how the TR-8 is the answer now.
Old 7th August 2014
  #60
Lives for gear
 
|-|'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Old thread.. pretty funny how the TR-8 is the answer now.
I'm the original poster, still haven't replaced my 909 and haven't replaced it with a suitable clone either. It's pretty much the real thing or nothing.

Not being a gear snob here, but I wouldn't buy the TR-8 if it was $10. I just can't support Roland. To each their own, but they'll never get another dollar of mine until they do a major wakeup.

This thread can die now

Cheers
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ditabeardmemo / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
16
HomeProducer / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
51
dave the drummer / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Milesy303 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
9
passionmax / So much gear, so little time
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump