The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum mixing/compressing a Vermona DRM1 mkIII Mixers (Analog)
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Drum mixing/compressing a Vermona DRM1 mkIII

This Christmas Santa is bringing me a new Vermona DRM1 mkIII analog drum synthesizer. I currently have a mixer that has enough channels to put each output of the drum synth on its own channel.

I'd love to hear peoples ideas about how and why they would choose to group the various drum sounds for eq and compression.

For example:

Do you like to just have one 'drum' track with the all the drum sounds and compress and eq it all at once?

Do you like to separate out your kick? your snare? your hi hats? and apply compression and eq separately?

What are some of your techniques?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Kick and snare separately,eq and compressor, and another stereo compressor (and eq if needed) for the drum buss.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply! Any other favourite ways of wiring things up for drums?
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Nut
Came across this thread as I am too about to purchase a Vermona DRM1 mkiii and am looking to use it's individual outs to sculpt with my new mixer so......anyone else care to shed any light on the OPs original question?

I think it's an interesting discussion point for beginners like myself in understanding the different methods people use when mixing their drums.

I might be railroading the OPs thread but hey I am trying to bring it back to life.....I'd like to also add in my case I'm looking to mix all the individual outs of the Vermona and two synths with my mixer and record everything with my Tascam multitrack. I'm not sure what connections I'll need from my mixers to my multitrack? Will I need two outs into two channels? The mixer is a Soundcraft EFX12...

Cheers!
Old 5th February 2017
|-|
Lives for gear

Going off my faded memory:

The older DRM1 had basic individual out's, nothing more (I originally had a gold* face one)
The newer DRM1 has individual outputs that also double up as insert points. I know this because I have a silver face one with chrome knobs and my original didn't respond like this.

So you could essentially insert a comp/gate or EQ into the individual output jack and process it solely. It will go back into the main L&R outputs.

Handy feature if you're tight on channels.

Last edited by |-|; 6th February 2017 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: *gold was spelt good
Old 5th February 2017
I am considering getting one too. I record a drum machine much like recording a drummer - recording each available instrument on a separate track - plus recording any midi out if recording a drum sequencer. If your interface doesn't have enough inputs, then record in multiple passes with sync from the daw. That's my process. . YMMV
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search