The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
post your vocoder experiments Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

post your vocoder experiments

let's hear some VOCODER fun! I'd love to hear what others do vocoder wise.
my two shorts are:
1. TAL UNO62 default patch into MDA TALKBOX, mono notes, then chords
2. SUPERWAVE P8 Trance Patch 3 into TAL VOCODER into TAL CHORUS 60
any tips and hints on vocoding? I tend to heavily compress the vocals to get a steady sound rather than something all over the place. Usually add EQ to taste also.
Attached Files

mac vocoder.mp3 (626.6 KB, 1725 views)

more voc.mp3 (308.5 KB, 1633 views)

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

This is the Novation Nova vocoder, but I forgot anything else.
Attached Files

machine vocoder.MP3 (8.67 MB, 595 views)

Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

White Light White Heat - with vocoders!

Hey, I did a version of The Velvet's White Light White Heat with vocoded singing for a laugh.

Don't take it too seriously, it's just a bit of fun:
On Rails Music

>It's in the little 'box' player on the right hand side.

'Enjoy'!

Oli
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll try some experiments from the Roland SVC-350 when I get a chance tonight. I did a setup a few years ago that was like this:

Vocal -> Audio to Midi converter -> Midi to CV -> MS-20
Vocal -> Roland SVC-350

Carrier -> Korg MS-20 (pitch set by vocal). Instant Daft Punk.

On a similar note, is there a modern vocoder that does something similar to the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 sound?

Something like this:

Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

good stuff Cramseur!

couldn't find any music from your link Oli ??

would love to hear your fun grimbog. not a vocode pro here so I know nothing about the VSM201. to me it's all about the synth sound you have going in.

surely more peeps are vocoding stuff? I have a Micron here I shall dig out and mess with
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks WWJD.

I sold the Nova. But the DP/4 has a vocoder preset, and I have the old alesis thing, plus a Digitech Talker pedal. None of them have been recorded yet.

I'd really like a Roland SVC-350 or Korg DVP-1.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Here's the ALESIS MICRON factory vocoder presets, and my lame screwing around. Radio Shack Shure 57ish mic into micron, simple multiband comp to master. I like the first, and the last preset. The rest are ugly - but may have their place somewhere.
Attached Files

micron vocoder.mp3 (1.80 MB, 476 views)

Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

not exactly vocoder "experiments" per se, but my band has vocoded vocals pretty much all of the time (aside from instrumental tunes and guest vocalists). i use an svc-350 as my primary vocoder.

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Excellent stuff! I like hearing it all through those songs. Good application. I sing commercial pop, but plan to add just a touch of vocoder harmonies just because I can And to slap Auto Tune in the face. ... except I guess it seems like autotune... but it is not
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Waldorf D-Coder (discontinued) on the TC Powecore PCI platform. Crappy MXL mic into a M-Audio Firewire 410

**ETA vocal is from a Howard Jones cover I did.
Attached Files

Hungry for Waldor D-Coder!!.mp3 (943.9 KB, 396 views)

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post

Vocal -> Audio to Midi converter -> Midi to CV -> MS-20
how does this compare to using the MS-20's external processing input to do pitch tracking?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Here is my vocoder experiment made in 1996. We wanted to make a track using only one sizer… we didn’t quit make it. We used a Korg VC-10 vocoder and a Yamaha CS-10 as carrier. Most of the sounds are made by the CS-10 except the chorus and strings, sync sound. We also used a Polysix and ran a JU-106 thru a CS-15. Everything is multitracked to an Atari Falcon 030 then to DAT and MD.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/91f19e09-329f-4bee-b4d6-90f8275f1c53/Vision---Disconnect-Me

Kind regards
Demokid
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

man this is making me lust a vocoder, that vc-10 sounds sweet, i've been wanting an svc-350 too...i got a dp/4 although i've not messed with the vocoder too much, it's not really the same thing as something like the svc-350 or vc-10 though.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

The DP/4 has a great vocoder... The key to get great vocoder speech is to use a good microphone, compressor on the modulator and the carrier should be a sound with a lot of frequencies like a sawtooth wave.

The VC-10 isn’t that good on making clear vocal sounds since you can’t tweak the frequency bands. We had to work really hard with out Behringer desk back in 96. Today there are a lot of very good software vocoder’s which hare great!

The Noviation Nova also have a great vocoder...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting the tunes/sounds.

What are popular synth sounds going in? I've used strait single oscilator, brass, organ, strings, any sustaining keys really that have character. Other options I don't know about?

I ran a heavily phases synth into both vocoder inputs a few weeks back and ended up with a faked vocoder style sound I will be using:
Attached Files

fakoder.mp3 (399.8 KB, 376 views)

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Another classic use of vocoder's:
* Modulator: Drum loop
* Carrier: Chorus, strings, pads
* Modulator: Vocals
* Carrier: Vocals
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

cool ideas!

Anyone else gonna chime in?
Old 29th December 2010
MAM VF-11 tests

YouTube - MAM VF-11 Speech Demo

I posted a demo of the MAM VF-11 a few months back. These are a bunch of different synths, mono and poly patches, trying to highlight speech / legibility.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ahh, finally made it back to this thread! Sorry for taking ages, but been working on this track that features the Roland SVC-350.

Basically, if you listen @ 1:00 and 2:12 you'll hear it in action. Simply playing chords on the ESQ-1 with a saw pad that goes in to the unit as a carrier. I then have the singers voice going in (very low gain). In the example I use the 11th filter to make sure it retained clarity. It also uses the units chorus for subtlety. Its more of a harmony thing rather than being upfront.

Don't ask about the other sounds, because blood sweat and tears went in to this over the past week.

Obscuresounds - Match
http://www.obscuresounds.com/audio/match-alternate.mp3
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

awesomenessisms!
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

New version for anyone interested (more melodic content)... has a solo roland vocoder section towards the end.

http://www.obscuresounds.com/audio/match-new.mp3
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebison View Post
YouTube - MAM VF-11 Speech Demo

I posted a demo of the MAM VF-11 a few months back. These are a bunch of different synths, mono and poly patches, trying to highlight speech / legibility.
Wow sounds cool! I have a VF-11 but I have never really worked with it. I think I'm going to start now. What have you used as carrier?
Old 26th January 2011
Great thread wwjd !

I own a Roland JP8080... I haven't learned how to use the voice modulator yet.
Since you brought up this exciting thread, I'm now keen and motivated to learn Robotic Vocalism all thanks to you.
I've got this thread book - marked, so therefore in the near future I will post and embed something later.
Also,.. very nice vocal sounds from you lot in here.
I enjoyed listening ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
Waldorf D-Coder (discontinued) on the TC Powecore PCI platform. Crappy MXL mic into a M-Audio Firewire 410

**ETA vocal is from a Howard Jones cover I did.

Wow `Awesome robotic vocalism.,
superjc
:]
Old 26th January 2011
Robotic Voc programmed on Roland G.B Hardware to EXP.8.
Attached Files

Output 1-2.mp3 (240.7 KB, 302 views)

Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

hehehe way cool! sort of reminded me of Dr. Who

I still think vocoding is underrated, under used. We had enough of abused AUTO TUNE... how about lots of VOCODE in music instead? Something INTERESTING to hear?
Old 27th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
hehehe way cool! sort of reminded me of Dr. Who

I still think vocoding is underrated, under used. We had enough of abused AUTO TUNE... how about lots of VOCODE in music instead? Something INTERESTING to hear?
Thank you wwjd !

Vocoders are very cool sound devices, for the all - round electronic music division.
B` T ` W ` In your very first post, the very first Vocoding session of yours.,., totally wicked thumbsup
Scooby Doo., Shooby Doo., funny heh and cool words

Regards...
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

My Cruel Summer Cover using the V-Synth GT.
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE8A View Post
Thank you wwjd !

Vocoders are very cool sound devices, for the all - round electronic music division.
B` T ` W ` In your very first post, the very first Vocoding session of yours.,., totally wicked thumbsup
Scooby Doo., Shooby Doo., funny heh and cool words

Regards...

hahahahaha! yeah, sorry, I was totally screwing around to demo vocode for a buddy of mine... figured I'd post up for fun.

Recently built a "talk box" with a $20 toy Honeytone amp, a funnel and a peice of plastic tubing... doesn't work TOO well, but it works and is fun to mess with
Old 1st February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
hahahahaha! yeah, sorry, I was totally screwing around to demo vocode for a buddy of mine... figured I'd post up for fun.
Recently built a "talk box" with a $20 toy Honeytone amp, a funnel and a peice of plastic tubing... doesn't work TOO well, but it works and is fun to mess with
COOL !
Old 2nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Heres is some vocoder use by a buddy and myself. Its a Roland vp 330+. On the bridge thingy it is 100% vocoder, but on the chorus it is a mix of vocoder and vocals. It is mostly vocoder though, just i tiny bit of vocals.

We did have some problems using the vp330 though. Its difficult to get the words intelligible. I guess we need some practice in how to use your voice, but i also think the guys who know how to use it, have some tricks up their sleeve. Like how they use compression and eq. Anybody have some info to share on this subject?

Thre rest of the song is of course 100% analog synths!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search