The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
post your vocoder experiments Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd February 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post
Very good stuff! thumbsup
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

in my experience, the best way to get a solid, legible vocal through a vocoder is to heavily compress the vocal and bump the high end EQ.
I didn't do that in my examples because I was just screwing around.
The synth sound you use also makes a big difference. Use not so fancy, and even single oscilators for very pure, clean vocals, drop down a few octaves to get that gnarly robot effect, for illedgable, washy vocals use fat sounds like "organ with vibrato" and trancey supersaws or slow thick synth strings sounds.
You can comp/limit EQ coming out also. Remember you are CREATING a sound, not trying to mix a real sound to sound more real. No limits, no rules.
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Very good stuff! thumbsup
Thanks Don! That mean a lot coming from you... thumbsup

All of the vocal parts were done by me with the V-Synth GT's vocal designer. Even the the background vocals and vocal pads. It's an amazing machine.

Again,thanks for the props!
Old 3rd February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post

My Cruel Summer Cover using the V-Synth GT.
Cool. Thats a catchy melody and really nice vocoder..
Old 3rd February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
in my experience, the best way to get a solid, legible vocal through a vocoder is to heavily compress the vocal and bump the high end EQ.
I didn't do that in my examples because I was just screwing around.
The synth sound you use also makes a big difference. Use not so fancy, and even single oscilators for very pure, clean vocals, drop down a few octaves to get that gnarly robot effect, for illedgable, washy vocals use fat sounds like "organ with vibrato" and trancey supersaws or slow thick synth strings sounds.
You can comp/limit EQ coming out also. Remember you are CREATING a sound, not trying to mix a real sound to sound more real. No limits, no rules.
Thanks for the tips!
I dont own a hardware compressor (Mixes are done ITB), but i guess i have to i invest in one to get the most out of my vocoder....
I have also tried different carrier signals, but so far i think the built in carrier synth signal in the vp330 works pretty good.
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

just go into your DAW box and slap a software comp/limit on its track. or if routing external limit thru your daw and back out to you vocoder? nobody NEEDS hardware anymore
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Nut

I had no idea that vocoders go back to the 20s.

I was listening to The Who Sells Out & there are little vocoder parts between songs & that was the mid 60s.
Armenia City In the Sky

I have a vocoder plug-in, but still have not really fooled about with it. Need to get on that.
Old 3rd February 2011
Lives for gear

These have been "mouse-over" triggered sounds created for a multimedia CD, used in a job application a while ago. Therefore the samples are very short, and they had to be done quickly. The vocoder used was the sky soundlab voice spectra.
Attached Files

application.mp3 (68.7 KB, 176 views)

editing.mp3 (16.5 KB, 172 views)

production.mp3 (29.9 KB, 149 views)

Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Hi all,

Here are my Vocoder experiments:

1) In this song, almost all of the backing track sounds are made by sampling my voice through the Korg Radias vocoder into my Emax II sampler. That includes the bass . . .

Imaginary Friend by DanielB

2) All of the vocals in this song were made using the Radias vocoder:

http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20Com...esterday.5.mp3

I had very mixed feelings about this song and almost junked it altogether. Nowadays I feel better about it and may actually put it on my site.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search