The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
programming drums
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

programming drums

hello guys trying here to program drums

but I suck

How did you improve your drum programing abilities? I have little expirience with drums. Is taking some percussion, drum lessons a good idea to boost my drum beats?

thank you in advance
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Not trying to be a jerk. But just expeiment. There is no key.

Mess with swing and dont quantize alot . Listen to people you like and copy them until you don't have to think about making a beat you like. Listen to what your heros are doing and put in your palet of beats you like and make unique kits
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Amazon.com: 260 Drum Machine Patterns (Technical) (0073999573718): Hal Leonard Corp.: Books

tada!

or simply search the drum tab sites on the net and cogitate
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Collaborating with a real drummer helps you get a sense for feel... how different rhythms move you in different ways.

- c
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

one of my drumer friends taught me to play very basic kick snare hihat beats years ago. i was just playing guitar. but it really improved my sense of rhythm.i learned to separete 3 elements which doesnt exist in guitar playing. And in early days of my midi experience i was writing a very simple 4 bar beat and messing up with notes by moving them to left and right. it helped a lot.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Watch the drummer...

That's really all I can offer. Kick and bass follow each other, no exceptions.

Drummer only has two arms, try to remember that also.
Old 24th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

I used to stretch complex rhythms and then listen to them at low bpms.
In parallel I had drum sequencer running and putting similar hits until I got it right...

It's a good exercise!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
Amazon.com: 260 Drum Machine Patterns (Technical) (0073999573718): Hal Leonard Corp.: Books

tada!

or simply search the drum tab sites on the net and cogitate

Cool. Is it a decent book??
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIJ View Post
hello guys trying here to program drums

but I suck

How did you improve your drum programing abilities? I have little expirience with drums. Is taking some percussion, drum lessons a good idea to boost my drum beats?

thank you in advance

There most certainly are 'rules' and common stylistic things that make up rhythms and styles of drumming so anyone telling you otherwise is wrong.

First off, are you talking about making your drums sound like a live drummer or are you wanting improve your Dance style drum beats ?
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

YouTube is yr friend

Think of a song that rhythmically interests you and look it up on YouTube
If yr doing hip hop you can usually find a 14 year old giving you a step sequencer tutorial made in FL or using Redrum, if yr trying to emulate live drums you can find vids of people just playing the drum parts.
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Not sure about that one but for USD $10 I think I'm going to try it.

This book is more modern, about half the book is dated interviews and daw comments, but there's about 100 measures of advanced drum tabs with mp3's:

The Drummer's Guide to Loop-Based Music, Tony Verderosa, (9780634017896) Other Format - Barnes & Noble

As for improving your drum skills, using drum tabs with a sequencer have helped me.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post

mixed feelings

it's basically tabs for drum machines--a lot of repetition there.

kick kick/snare kick kick/snare

or

kick kick snare kick snare

or

kick snare kick kick snare

then again it's 10 bucks
Old 24th December 2010
if you want to do it yourself, some drumpads are good.
then, practice a lot, analyse patterns, try playing them etc.
writing notes with a mouse is possible but very static. for some types of music that is just the thing you need though..
Old 25th December 2010
When I started out I used to sample beats that I liked then copy them, slowing them down if I had to, till I got it right.

Old 25th December 2010
I bought one of those Roland electronic kick triggers and a kick pedal for my Roland SPD-11 drum pad. Got a couple of sticks and taught myself how to play along to some of my favorite songs, even some old 80's tunes. Although I will never play drums in a band, I have often rehearsed with other bands sitting in when their drummers could not make it. Doing this has given me a greater sense of rhythm as well as releasing a lot of stress banging away! It also gives me an idea of how drummers think when I am programming my drums. Dunno why I never did it before, loads of fun.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
Watch the drummer...

Drummer only has two arms, try to remember that also.
+ 1
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
When I started out I used to sample beats that I liked then copy them, slowing them down if I had to, till I got it right.

Yeah, this does help. Write your songs and play them like they are supposed to go. Use exsisting drum loops you like that seem to fit. That will at least teach you the character you are after. I was doing that for awhile until my programming was good enough. Now I find myself going back to write the drums on all those tunes, and it is very gratifying. It's a crutch, but you will learn from it...it's basically like watching the drummer, electronic style. I was using the EZD loops, and there are enough variety to do a lot of different styles of rock.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

thank you guys really, helpful answers.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
Not sure about that one but for USD $10 I think I'm going to try it.

This book is more modern, about half the book is dated interviews and daw comments, but there's about 100 measures of advanced drum tabs with mp3's:

The Drummer's Guide to Loop-Based Music, Tony Verderosa, (9780634017896) Other Format - Barnes & Noble

As for improving your drum skills, using drum tabs with a sequencer have helped me.
also going to try this book. Looks good.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search