The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oberheim OB-8 Factory Midi - Sysex? How Do I Import / Export Patches To My OB-8? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Oberheim OB-8 Factory Midi - Sysex? How Do I Import / Export Patches To My OB-8?

I was wondering if this is possible and if so how to do it? I have SysEx Librarian but can't seem to make it work with my OB. Would be great to know!
Cheers,
Pete
Old 23rd December 2010
I believe you need to select group button "A" while in Page 2 in order to dump patches.

I have an Encore MIDI which is based on the factory MIDI. The SysEx messages should be the same. From the Encore manual:

Dump one patch: F0 00 00 2F 04 00 <number> F7
Single patch load: F0 00 00 2F 04 01 <number> <patch data> F7
Dump all patches: F0 00 00 2F 04 02 F7

<number> Patch number to load sysex data

I assume <patch data> would be the hex from the patch dump.

I am not sure if the factory MIDI supports it, but on the Encore, you can simply hit Write while in page 2 and it will dump the current patch. I use to have the OB factory MIDI but had problems with it so I replaced it. I used Midi Quest software with it. It includes a profile for the OB-8 so I was able to simply load and dump patches with a single click from the menu. I have not used Midi Quest with the Encore kit yet, but it should work all the same. The guy from Encore told me that their kit is the same as the factory except with some bug fixes and improved hardware.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
I believe you need to select group button "A" while in Page 2 in order to dump patches.

I have an Encore MIDI which is based on the factory MIDI. The SysEx messages should be the same. From the Encore manual:

I assume <patch data> would be the hex from the patch dump.

I am not sure if the factory MIDI supports it, but on the Encore, you can simply hit Write while in page 2 and it will dump the current patch. I use to have the OB factory MIDI but had problems with it so I replaced it. I used Midi Quest software with it. It includes a profile for the OB-8 so I was able to simply load and dump patches with a single click from the menu. I have not used Midi Quest with the Encore kit yet, but it should work all the same. The guy from Encore told me that their kit is the same as the factory except with some bug fixes and improved hardware.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I looked at their kit and it didn't mention that the original couldn't and theirs could which you would have thought would be a selling point to mention if it were the case.

Cool, I'll give it a try. Ah it works with midi quest does it - interesting.

I haven't a clue what this means:

Is it some sort of command line that lies behind the software? Where would I type such things?

Cheers,
Pete
Old 24th December 2010
Per the OB8 MIDI implementation for Ver. B-5, in Page 2, the "A" switch sets whether program dumping and changing are enabled. (Lit = enabled)

The "Write" button tells the OB-8 to dump the current stored program to MIDI. "A" must be enabled for this to work.

Looking at the MIDI implementation chart, it doesn't have a command to dump all or receive all programs. Even the MIDIQuest editor/librarian for the OB-8 doesn't appear to archive or dump banks of programs either, only individual ones.

FYI - "B" is enable/disable pitch and mod controls, "C" = Omni on/off (Lit = on), "D" is Channel display/select - press and hold the "D" button to display or select the basic channel.
Old 24th December 2010
I am not certain on how Midi Quest performs patch dumps but I can assure you that it will dump every patch via one command. It may receive each patch one-by-one through some sort of script until it has gone through every bank. I have used it to back up all of my patches as well as load everything back to the factory Midi. I was having issues with the OB Midi so I pulled the battery to wipe the memory and then used Midi Quest to restore and it worked perfectly.

As for the Sysex commands, I have used Midiox software in the past, but not for the OB-8 in particular. It has a Sysex editor (accessed from the top menu). You simply enter in the hex commands to send Sysex messages. For example, just type in F0 00 00 2F 04 02 F7 into the editor and select execute, or whatever the command is to send, and you should see activity in the status window. From what Tony at Encore told me, I assume you should be able to use the same commands on the factory Midi. Here is a quote from an email he sent me regarding the Encore kit:

"The software implementation is exactly the same as the factory MIDI. I used their source code as a starting point and fixed a few bugs."

If Helmey is correct, than the command above may do nothing on the factory Midi since that performs a bulk dump of everything on the Encore. Probably your safest bet is to just go with Midi Quest. I've used it and it works. It even includes a patch editor, though isn't all too useful since the OB-8 does not receive active Midi changes from it. Midi Quest is more just a librarian. Good luck!
Old 5th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
I'm trying to dump the sounds (sysex) from the OB-8 to the computer for backup. I used Sysex Librarian, which I have used for other synths.

Sysex Librarian recorded 60 bytes (not kilobytes) of data. That is apparently one patch-- I'd like to save all.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way of sending the hex string F0 00 00 2F 04 02 F7 to the OB, so it sends all its sounds. The software I've seen that does that is for Windows.

It's a bit complicated:
If you have recorded 60 bytes you have the original Oberheim MIDI interface.
The Encore MIDI interface has two additional bytes.
Encore header is F0 00 00 2F 04 while Oberheim header is just F0 10 01.

Anyway the original Oberheim interface does not support Bulk requests so your hex string would not work, even with changed header.

Quote:
Solution? Maybe someone would be willing to make a sysex version of F0 00 00 2F 04 02 F7 so I could send the string via Sysex Librarian. ? ? ?

Or if someone could show me how to do it myself, that would be superb.
Solution: try my online SysEx Librarian LASER Mammoth. It works in the Google Chrome browser and supports OB-8 with Oberheim interface because I just loop through the single program requests.
https://f0f7.net
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow-- what a great response and solution!

I returned the OB-8 because I couldn't get this working (and it had a few other issues), but I want to get another fully functional one and will take your advice.

Thank you for creating such a great solution and replying!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you return it to? That is pretty awesome that you were able to do that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search