The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SP-1200 Emulator? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

SP-1200 Emulator?

I'm after that warm, slightly gritty 12 bit sound of the SP-1200 for some drums. Any advice on some vsts that can make it happen? I don't own maschine yet but plan to buy it...

Thnx
Old 23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

bpm / battery have that kind of fx
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

SP-1200 Emulator?

Cool thnx
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

The sound of the Sp 1200 is more then just a 12 Bit algorithm in a software sampler. It's about the distortion during sampling through the input, the aliasing effects through the tuning of the sample and the different filters on the outputs of the SP 1200. So I think it's hard to emulate this only through a change in the sampling algorithm in Battery, Maschine, etc.

I have the SP 1200 and I never achieved the exact same results with other combinations, the hardest thing to emulate was the aliasing effect of the tuning. But to be honest, you can get also good results with different combinations of plugins. But if you want to have the real SP 1200 sound, I think you have to buy the real one.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The "emulations" I've tried are nowhere near the fat and vibey sound of the real thing.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
The "emulations" I've tried are nowhere near the fat and vibey sound of the real thing.
+1... thats why I have a SP-1200.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Machine is perfect for this.

But I dont think you can go past the real thing
Old 23rd December 2010
Without a doubt check out Goldbaby and their samples. thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veck View Post
The sound of the Sp 1200 is more then just a 12 Bit algorithm in a software sampler. It's about the distortion during sampling through the input, the aliasing effects through the tuning of the sample and the different filters on the outputs of the SP 1200. So I think it's hard to emulate this only through a change in the sampling algorithm in Battery, Maschine, etc.
The emulation of MPC60 and SP1200 in Maschine's vintage sampling mode is based on actual component modelling even down to details like "the aliasing effects through the tuning of the sample and the different filters on the outputs of the SP 1200". Both emulations trace the exact signal flow through the actual machines, and they sound authentic as verified by MPC60/SP1200 owners who also own Maschine.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
they sound authentic as verified by MPC60/SP1200 owners who also own Maschine.
They don't sound close whatsoever. I have NI Battery that has the same Vintage emulations as Maschine, and I also own and use a real MPC60 II. The MPC 60 II just sounds meatier, and in your face. This so-called feature is marketing hype at it's best, and there's no other person hyping up Maschine more on all the music forums than you Noggin.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
They don't sound close whatsoever. I have NI Battery that has the same Vintage emulations as Maschine, and I also own and use a real MPC60 II. The MPC 60 II just sounds meatier, and in your face. This so-called feature is marketing hype at it's best
Hmm... Let's see. Illustrious from Gearslutz or:

"as a former owner of a sp1200 (black reissue) as well as a mpc60 mkii, i can cosign that the vintage mode on the maschine is so close to spot-on, that you'd be very hard pressed to find fault with it."

" I find the emulation to be quite convincing, so much so that I stopped pining for the sp1200 I sold a year back..."
Old 29th December 2010
16 bit sampler with 12 bit DAC tied to SSM filter

that, or a real one. they're nice big machines with knobs and sliders. heh
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
There's also this: 112dB, however I think the Morgana is trying to emulate the Mirage. As always, these VSTs that try and emulate older hardware that is noted for "warmth" or "grit" or whatever never quite get the exact sound down IMO.
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
They don't sound close whatsoever. I have NI Battery that has the same Vintage emulations as Maschine, and I also own and use a real MPC60 II. The MPC 60 II just sounds meatier, and in your face. This so-called feature is marketing hype at it's best, and there's no other person hyping up Maschine more on all the music forums than you Noggin.
Your audio interface is going to make a huge difference. Not to mention, besides being punchy, I never found anything that special to the sound of the MPC60/S900 samplers. If anything, they're a bit sterile. In my humble opinion, the Emu line (the SP-1200/Emax) have a much bigger sound.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get the real deal.. prices have started to fall back lately, and they have that "magic" that you will never be able to emulate in a plug-in.
Same with the older MPC's.. I'm done with synths now.. Next purchase is an SP-1200 and a heap of outboard FX/stomp-boxes.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

the Time Machine Vst is the best plug for that type of effect. it's discontinued, but was freeware--you should be able to find it. you could also do it manually with waveosaur (which is also free). just use its pitch shifting and re-sampling functions with the interpolation OFF. i haven't found anything remotely as good as either, and i've tried pretty much everything. someone posted a short tutorial somewhere here on GS about his approach to getting the sp1200 effect from waveosaur, so if you want details, just search for it.
Old 15th April 2013
Here for the gear

The only thing that sounds like an SP is and always will be an SP
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemors View Post
The only thing that sounds like an SP is and always will be an SP
Thread exhumation of the decades....

Also, wrong. An emax sounds like an SP1200!
Old 15th April 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
Thread exhumation of the decades....

Also, wrong. An emax sounds like an SP1200!
Not really, there are some similarities but an emax sounds like an emax.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

^ i concur.. emax is actually 8-bit sampler
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear
The newest version of Battery (4) contains fidelity emulation modes on a per sample basis.

Among these are SP1200 variances. (Along with MPC-60 and others)

I can't comment to their authenticity, just their existence.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

I think the Emax actually is a 12 bit sampler. The EII was an 8 bit sampler but stored/rearranged the data as 12 bit (I think).

Just get a Prophet 2000/2002 instead. SP-1200 is pretty expensive.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

^ it's the opposite, the Emax playbacks at 12-bit but stores in 8-bit

as for the Battery/Maschine SP emulation... it is what it is an emulation..
Old 15th April 2013
Tuesday Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
^ it's the opposite, the Emax playbacks at 12-bit but stores in 8-bit

as for the Battery/Maschine SP emulation... it is what it is an emulation..
It's in kontakt as well, it's pretty rubbish imo.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear
FWIW I believe this is a new take on it. (being that Battery 4 was released only a couple weeks ago)

It's definitely not the same as the one in Kontakt.

That's not to say it's better or worse, but it's not the same.
Old 15th April 2013
Tuesday Knight
It was in battery 3 though, in the final update I think. It's probably the closest you're going to get as I believe it affects the pitching algorithm too, I'm not 100% on that, but it was a different sound to pitching down with DFD/Sampler.

You can get a hardware Akai s950 for around £120-150 on ebay. It's 12 bit, while it doesn't sound just like a sp-1200 it will add more character than any plug in I know of.

Akai S900 | Vintage Synth Explorer
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear
I'll say this much, I have an Emax (SE) and all things considered I'd far rather use Battery, or for that matter probably any "large interface" sampling device.

My perception however has no choice but to be skewed due to my age. I have had a relatively modern computer in my home as far back as my contextually short memory can recall. I thereby have no innate aversion to ones use for most tasks.

That considered, in my own work and music, the sonic differences between the Emax and my other less esoteric options are not significant. This is of course entirely subjective.
Old 15th April 2013
Tuesday Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktuator View Post
I'll say this much, I have an Emax (SE) and all things considered I'd far rather use Battery, or for that matter probably any "large interface" sampling device.
Well, I would rather use one of my hardware samplers, because it takes 2 seconds to put a sound in it and then I have better envelopes immediately, better pitching too, plus there's no need to spend time trying to make it sound like it came out of vintage sampler...

I'l always put in back into esx24 or kontakt anyway.
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

I did a Maschine vs SP1200 comparison awhile back and I'm pretty sure I started a thread about it. There are audio files too. The Maschine emulation of the SP1200 was VERY good to me. What people fail to do is speed the sample up and pitch it down, just like the real SP1200. When you pitch down with the Maschine emulation you get very close.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search