The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your slutty 2011 gear plans. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

110 - 154 space .com studio modular made up of .com, MOTM, COTK and STG modules. Should be complete around February.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Allen & Heath Zed 14

To finally switch from PC to Mac w/ Logic.

Waldorf Pulse

Dave Smith Mono Evolver.

Vintage Card/Orchestra 1 & 2 cards for my JV2080..
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
I totally agree with how all this ****load of technology has just numbed the magic of music
Nothing's numbed; in fact, the technology has made it a zillion times more exciting - and to choose an arbitrary cutoff point for "this is enough technology, everything else is too much" is, well, arbitrary - plus, it shows one's age heh

The magic never went away. Nothing's holding anyone back from unleashing it, except posting on Gearslutz perhaps.

Quote:
Back in the 70s/80s, people just used whatever they had, and there's a real signature sound and a real charm to it all.
The "just used whatever they had" would be more applicable to a 30s blues guitar player with a beaten-up acoustic than a 70s/80s producer, if you read how many tapes they bounced back to and layers they used. Not to mention the quality of the equipment in the studios back then, which doesn't exactly show restraint, budget concerns or modesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie View Post
110 - 154 space .com studio modular made up of .com, MOTM, COTK and STG modules. Should be complete around February.
I love how you drop that number so casually heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

This is Gearslutz ! And I love it.

Here we talk about Gear. Get it ?

WT
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

I've been wanting a comp for the 2-bus for a long time, probably will pick up the Drawmer 1968ME. I'd also like to get a nice analog fsu module, maybe a Filterbank 2, Quad Plague Bearer, or something that says Metasonix on it.

.... an analog poly would be nice too.... heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe another 14 dsp scope card.
More john Bowen synths for scope.
Thats all.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll look to add:

Sequentix Cirklon
Oberheim SEM
Roland JX-8p or MKS-70

I'll also be doing a tear-down and re-configuration of my studio <sigh>...
it's a organizational mess in here.

I'm off next week, so the tear-down may be before the new year, actually.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
I totally agree with how all this ****load of technology has just numbed the magic of music and simply put, it's just too many options. Back in the 70s/80s, people just used whatever they had, and there's a real signature sound and a real charm to it all.

Actually that might involve getting one more piece of gear. A good tape machine with 24 track input to get that almost Lo-Fi but punchy analog sound. Any suggestions?

If you think the ****load of tech is the problem, then quit whining and eliminate it.

Get a lute, and wander around troubadour-like singing your fancy songs.heh

But make sure you dress the part, too.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
If you think the ****load of tech is the problem, then quit whining and eliminate it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post

Hate to spoil the fun, but sorry, that is not a VINTAGE lute!

heh
Old 24th December 2010
Elektron, elektron and elektron. A UAD card, eventually, with the analog emulations as Studer, RE-201, Pultec, Fairchild.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

My plan for 2011 are:
- 2D card for my MIO 2882 audio interface;
- Serge Modular Animoo panel;
- Sequentix Cirklon;
- Some eurorack's modules.

Hédi K.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Nothing's numbed; in fact, the technology has made it a zillion times more exciting - and to choose an arbitrary cutoff point for "this is enough technology, everything else is too much" is, well, arbitrary - plus, it shows one's age heh

The magic never went away. Nothing's holding anyone back from unleashing it, except posting on Gearslutz perhaps.
Sorry Yoozer, I disagree with you here, and think you may have missed the point.

Take a look at how artists like Vince Clarke and OMD chiselled a style of music through simplicity in the early 80s. I'm pretty sure if they had the technology available now, the songs they wrote would have sounded very different. I understand the latest 'exciting?' technology offers alot more in terms of features and sheen, but you can't argue that the limiting factors of a CSQ sequencer, monosynth and simple drum machine let you focus, almost explicitally on the sound, and the silence around it.

These days, you try and write a simple piece, but can't help but feel all these extra features and fx available are almost waiting to collapse in top of what you are writing, almost muddying up the whole experience. Its not the same. The process has become completely different.

Im not saying its better or worse, but when you used to turn up at someones house, plug in your Korg Micropreset and 606 to your mates guitar amp, maybe add a phaser, someone on bass, maybe there girlfriend had a Juno, that crude, yes, limiting factor of the gear and era made it something very very special for some. I don't know about you, but that is what alot of todays music misses imo. Simplicity and having the will power to keep it that way. That crude process defined what alot class as heart of classic synthesizer music.

Technology today may be a zillion times more exciting today for you, but given the choice, I remember that shiver of excitment when the next session was coming up. I don't get that these days so much.

Having 100s of tracks, insert fx, ultra powerful softsynths & workstations is indeed amazing, but imo can lead you in an entirely different direction both in writing and performing music. I think also thats why very little synth music these days can compete with what was done in the 80s. (imo)

Go and see Tron Legacy! Technically a zillion times better than the original.................but

Sorry to OP for going a little off topic.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

My plan för 2011:
Sell my Voyager AE and buy a Helmtronic Challanger.
Try to find e.g. a Soundscape IBOX8 to use as an interface for my hardware effects.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
My plan för 2011:
Sell my Voyager AE and buy a Helmtronic Challanger.
Try to find e.g. a Soundscape IBOX8 to use as an interface for my hardware effects.
If I could afford it I'd buy that voyager off you and sell my electric blue
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

My brother made me some beautiful rosewood MU modular cabinets for Christmas so I'm thinking about sticking a small Mos-Lab system into one of them.

Other than that, 2011 will hopefully see me getting:

1) New monitors
2) New computer
3) SEM
4) More eurorack and MU modules
5) Reamp
6) Whatever unexpectedly cool stuff shows up at NAMM
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I'm not saying its better or worse, but when you used to turn up at someones house, plug in your Korg Micropreset and 606 to your mates guitar amp, maybe add a phaser, someone on bass, maybe there girlfriend had a Juno, that crude, yes, limiting factor of the gear and era made it something very very special for some.
Nowadays all-in-one features are available to almost any home studio. Latest CPUs give awesome horsepower to achieve signal chains with all the effects you can dream about. But the basic sound synthesis and classic subtractive, formant and supersaws will stay for a long time. Today there's a slip in thinking that sound sources from the past are outdated, but this is not the case. For effects and improvements, there's a plethora of great gears indeed.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Your slutty 2011 gear plans.

Plans for 2011:
Buy-> a Sputnik or mxl revelation, great river pre, get a new pc, get a korg triton or fantom, and a m audio profire 610.

Sell-> my audio technica at4047, my art pro mpa II, and my tascam fw 1082.
Old 24th December 2010

i agree with flat earth..

people used to spend time diving into the very LIMITS of the gear. now a days people dive into "getting around" the controls..

there is too many options for people now a days. skill comes from knowing what to use, when to use it, and when to know enough is enough.

its daunting that i can have 15 synths and terabytes worth of samples just sitting around. it makes designing seem like a task, instead of a part of the creative process.

but if it wasnt for all this, i would of never started making music

SO ANYWAYS,

my goal is to cut down, organize and renovate my sample collection and make it easier to find specific things

to get a nicer drum pad of some sort to play **** in instead of programming it in.. and to get some a zoom recorder to record random **** to use instead of expected sounds
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton View Post
If I could afford it I'd buy that voyager off you and sell my electric blue
But why? It's the same sizer and looks the same... The AE just have a 50's Anniversary badge on the side panel.

Kind regards
Demokid
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

wow. it depends on my buget. i can end up without anything. but i proclaim 2011 "year of Vintage ". ebay days again.
if i can find proper ones

Roland space echo re201
fender rhodes mark 1
a monophonic synth for bass.
drum machine ( not vintage but it can be MFB drumcomputer)
some toys ( cheap lo-fi stuff)
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hopefully.....

8 core Mac Pro loaded with RAM and HDs (aftermarket of course, Boo on apple's memory and hard drive prices)

Pair of good monitors

Apogee Duet

A good master control keyboard, Novation or Axiom Pro

And either a powerful analog synth or build a Doepfer modular

A dj setup, either a pair of CDJs or a Traktor Kontrol S4

If I win the lottery I'd get a Cwejman S1 MKII
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

akai miniak
roland sp555
get my juno 106 fully refurbed
handheld recorder
some studio furnishings
an evolver if i got some cash left over.

sell nothing.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=enisanci;6143700]fender rhodes mark 1
QUOTE]

damn i want one sooo badly but shipping on those is murderous..

what emulation of the rhodes is affordable (not clavia) and accessible?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

New MacBook Pro. Not very slutty compared to some, but pretty slutty for me. Might even step up to a 15".
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Korg DSS-1, DW 8000, a new Oberheim SEM, maybe a Pro-1 . . .

I'm really looking at the DSS-1 now though . . .maybe hook a Kaossilator up to it and pretend its a V-synth
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid

But why? It's the same sizer and looks the same... The AE just have a 50's Anniversary badge on the side panel.

Kind regards
Demokid
Got a thing for special editions haha. I've the the se prophet 08 and anniversary nord lead atm
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

Sooo much slutting.
Plans (however unlikely they may be...):
- MPC 1000
- Pres and Mics for recording strings, woodwind and brass
- Dave Smith Mopho keyboard and Tetra
- A nice pair of monitors

The list goes on... It gets bigger every day!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

sell everything and quit.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clank72
sell everything and quit.
Booooooo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search