The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Sustain Problem?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Sustain Problem?

I just bought a Fender Rhodes Mark I Stage 88. It is in fair condition and am planning on restoring it. I am having problems with my sustain pedal. The sustain/dampner plate I noticed has a hole in the middle. Where it looks like a screw goes in the middle. I think this missing part might be why my sustain pedal is not working properly. I believe this is the part I am missing: Vintage Fender Rhodes Center Damper Pin

But I am not too sure.

What is happening is not all of the notes are sustaining, just the lower and upper keys are sustaining with the sustain pedal. The problem notes that dont sustain with the pedal are mainly in the middle of the harp.

At first I had thought it was because my sustain pedal was on carpet, so i put some cardboard underneath of it so the pedal had more room to push down, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated..
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I know mine doesn't have that part and works fine. It won't matter what your floor material is. It is something internal your best bet would be to post in the geekslutz forum or there is a whole forum and site dedicated to The Fender Rhoades piano. They know everything about these and most likely will be able to tell you how to fix it yourself or if you don't want to do that they have a giant list of techs specializing in the fender rhoades.

Try the geekslutz section first this is a very common instrument that people that don't generally frequent the electronics musical instrument section will have a wealth of knowledge on.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Had basically the same problem on a Stage 73 I used to own. I don't believe you need the damper pin mentioned in your post. My problem was about a dozen and a half notes scattered low, mid, and high would not sustain. I had to raise the harp and bend each damper slightly to facilitate sustain when the pedal was down. As you probably know, the felt dampers wear in unpredictable ways and over the years the "fit" of them to the tines gets way out of whack.
A huge PITA as it took several adjustment sessions to get it right, not to mention the fact that after transport to gigs you may have to tweak several of them again. Love the sound of a real Rhodes but ohhhhh that maintenance!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Vintage Vibe have a bunch of really good youtube videos that will show you how to service your Rhodes:

YouTube - vintagevibekeyboards's Channel

I think all the Rhodes repair videos were uploaded about a year ago.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search