The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Synthesizer??? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Drum Synthesizer???

Hey all, I am writing a new tune, and I am looking for a good synthesizer for the kit that has that underground synthesized sound - any suggestions? I am new to the world of synthed drums - more of an analog cat. I appreciate your input!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Hi

Only Synthesis Boxes:(Most can be demoed, IIRC most but not all are combined standalone/plugin)

AudioSpillage's DrumSpillage Mac AU only but Mac Vst coming.This Puppy goes everywhere and imho the best synthetic Drum Synth on the market.

Drumaxx (All Modeling)

Waldorf Attack (Part of Waldorf Edition)

Sonic Charge - µTonic (V3 coming on 31 12 10)

D16 Group Audio Software You can check out these classic babies here for Drumazon (909), Nepheton (808), Nithonat (606), the ADM below is also excellent.

AudioRealism ADM (Does 909, 808, 606)

Bazzism by ISM.It may be only a kicker but its done to perfection and cuts like mustard through anything.

Reaktor which has a mass of drum and or sample synths for it. Reaktor can be almost anything.

These are predominantly sample based but some also have pure synth features/modules on board:

Spectrasonics - Stylus RMX

Maschine (Native Instruments)

Battery (Native Instruments)

RMV (LinPlug)

FXpansion's Geist Apparently synthesis is coming to it.

There are quite a few others around payware, shareware, freeware, etc but the above are all well established.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

ITB: I have been totally geeking out over the *free* TAL stuff. Kinda like a guy who just discovered water "hey guys, totally quenches thirst!" not sure if this is old hat to everyone else

BUT -- check 'em out first!

my demo:
Crufty - Electronic Demo - TAL Audio ITB Trance : Crufty : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

100% va drums using 100% Togu Audio Line / free plugs as sound source. some fabfilter timeless (delay), and stilwell plugs + 'the glue'.

OTB:
roland tr-909
jomox 999
elektron machinedrum
etc
Old 24th December 2010
if you want to synthesise drums with a harware synth, i've heard the nord modular g2 is a good one. if you wan't real analogue the ARP2600 would be a good choice as would a roland system100.

you don't mention if you're wanting hardware or software.
or your budget.
you do mention that you're an analogue cat. so i assume that you already have a synth or two. in which case you may have the tools there already.

what analogue synths do you currently have?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I love DrumSpillage on the computer.

As for hardware and what you described, look up some videos of the Tama TS-305 (6 sounds) and 306 (8 sounds, adds clap and synth). It's an old analog drum module from the 80s and can do some really cool sounds. There are some guys sequencing it with a Europa on YouTube, or MIDIfying it to sequence with Electribes and stuff.

I'm often tempted by these ever since discovering them. They're unique and surprisingly good sounding.

Of course the synths you already own could very well be highly capable at producing drum sounds.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sounds like you might want one of these...

You can make deep kicks, high pitched snares, analog toms, etc....You'll have to look up eBay or Craigslist, but if you can't afford a MachineDrum, this will have to do...
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

i'm discoving analog filters can really do a lot for any drum source you feed them

i like putting really good percussion samples into batter3 and then using my Flight of Harmony Quad Plague Bearer to make them my own
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I love what my Moogerfooger MF-101 does to the drum sounds from my electribes, sort of makes them sound older than they really are. (Like a 80's drum machine)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search