The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage synths for rent? UK. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Grimbog's Avatar
 

Vintage synths for rent? UK.

Errm, I'm probably going to answer my own question here, but is there anywhere in the UK (or even worldwide), that rents out vintage keyboards for project use?

Basically working on a project that (ideally) requires a Korg PS3100, but obviously the buggers are hard to find, expensive, and precious to most people. Doubtful that anyone would want to part with one for a month for risk of transport damage, but thought I'd ask in case there is a company somewhere that swaps or rents out keyboards.

So why the PS3100? Well, there's a specific sound with it using a long envelope release times that just mesmerises me. Its a distinctive sound, but I'm also curious to know if generally speaking synths do get rented out!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Grimbog's Avatar
 

Ps: Should note I'm also happy to travel and use the synth on location (recording to laptop) - just PM me if interested. Ideally need to be based in London.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #3
Gear Head
 

You could always try

John Henrys - Audio Backline and other Music Equipment for Hire and Sale

I don't know if they do synths ... but if not they may know who does.

And they are based in sunny London!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Grimbog's Avatar
 

@Outdaw: Ahh brilliant I'll give them a ring and see if they can help...

@Franc: Dammit, that's exactly what I didn't want to see. Hmm, only problem with US auctions is the tax charge getting it over here. I'm now going to spend the better part of christmas just staring at the eBay page and wishing...
Old 23rd December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
There was a Moderator over at VSE that had a PS3100, although it might have been one of the higher models. (Mr Rich I think?) Not sure if he would want to hire it out, but he may let you record it possibly? Think hes in the UK too.

PS3100 is a gorgeous synth. Very underrated indeed.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I think you will struggle with this, high end analogue synths are too delicate i dont know any companies that hire them out.
PS3100 is a cool synth, kind of wish i hadnt sold mine in a way.

2 other thoughts: the chorus is the main thing with those string sounds... have you thought of a Polysix or an Elkorus as a substitute.
I think the Polysix has a similiarish sound.... you just cant go as crazy..
The Elkorus is a good unit as you can obviously feed whatever waveform you like into it and has that classic "string" sound.. 3 delay lines, all programmable- great sound, based on a vintage design. I run an MKS50 into it and i can get any "vintage" string sound i want with near 100% authenticity.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
hogberto's Avatar
 

these people in Edinburgh hire out synths, including some vintage. might be worth asking them if they can help:

Keyboard and synth MIDI sound module expander sampler hire prices hire and rental Edinburgh Scotland UK
Old 23rd December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Grimbog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
I think you will struggle with this, high end analogue synths are too delicate i dont know any companies that hire them out.
PS3100 is a cool synth, kind of wish i hadnt sold mine in a way.

2 other thoughts: the chorus is the main thing with those string sounds... have you thought of a Polysix or an Elkorus as a substitute.
I think the Polysix has a similiarish sound.... you just cant go as crazy..
The Elkorus is a good unit as you can obviously feed whatever waveform you like into it and has that classic "string" sound.. 3 delay lines, all programmable- great sound, based on a vintage design. I run an MKS50 into it and i can get any "vintage" string sound i want with near 100% authenticity.
I was thinking about alternatives... although curiously looking at the auction video the sound I'm after is similar to what he's doing at 7:00+ onwards:



That coupled with the resonant filter gives a really nice sound. I won't be hitting as many notes as him though.

I think at this stage I'm potentially planning to sample whole key ranges from an MS-20 (recording various osc setups with the filter fully open) and then have them mapped in Kontakt... the idea is to feed it back in to other synth filters/modulations. The difference with the PS3100 though is that I think each key also has its own VCF.

The Elkorus - Great unit... I've been recommended this before, and I still really want to get one at some point... I'm lucky enough to own a Solina String Ensemble but always wish I could apply its chorus to other instruments.

Also saw this a while back (Triple Resonant Filter), but wondered if anyone's tried it? Cyndustries - Modular Analog Synthesizers ...Or any alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto
these people in Edinburgh hire out synths, including some vintage. might be worth asking them if they can help:

Keyboard and synth MIDI sound module expander sampler hire prices hire and rental Edinburgh Scotland UK
Thanks hogberto! I'll give them a try at some point!
Old 23rd December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I watched the video last night. It sounded a bit like my Korg MS-10 playing chords. I love analogs especially Moogs and Korgs - but I would not spend $5 grand for that one. Maybe I was not paying attention to the video.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
@Outdaw: Ahh brilliant I'll give them a ring and see if they can help...

@Franc: Dammit, that's exactly what I didn't want to see. Hmm, only problem with US auctions is the tax charge getting it over here. I'm now going to spend the better part of christmas just staring at the eBay page and wishing...
LOL! I would not trust shipping it to the UK either. Well have a Merry Christmas (and avoid eBay).
Old 23rd April 2012
  #12
Here for the gear
 

We at Turnlab.be rent out several types of vintage synths. Feel free to get in touch.
Old 23rd April 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
I'm also curious to know if generally speaking synths do get rented out!
Yes they do! And you have several fantastic choices in London which hire vintage synths:


Studio Hire

FXrentals

Classic Synthesizers | hammondhire.com

I've used FXrentals a lot. Great guys, inexpensive, flexible. It's easy and fast to set up an account with them and benefit from discounts. They have a few obvious synth choices but the selection is poorer than what is available in Studio Hire.

So, I have also used Studio hire. More expensive and awkward to deal with, but they have a much greater choice of vintage synths than the FX group. An account requires a credit check, takes ages to set up and the discount is nothing special. But that choice of gear is...yummy.

Haven't used Hammond Hire yet.

Go, get them vinatge synths, they are there available for hire! heh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mardi Gras / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
127
PhuckHead / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
13
Knox / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump