The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to listen to different EQ/Comps
Old 22nd December 2010
How to listen to different EQ/Comps

Hey
I really don't hear much difference from different eqs and comps, maybe im listening for the wrong things. Could you please tell me what to listen for? Might be a stupid question But I bought an UAD card which I wanted cus of some of the plugs (Plate 140 for example) but there was many comps and eq's with it that i want to learn where and how to use and why... Now i only use Ableton comps and eq.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Time and experience will be your best answer.
As much as learning what different FREQUENCIES do, so goes with hearing the differences tween two differing EQs adjusting the same frequency.
Many use the term "color" to describe the difference... and not everyone hears exactly the same way either. One EQ might seem bright or harsh or thin, where as another EQ set on the same frequencies may seem full or live or deep or dark. It will be very subjective and many will not even notice any difference. And there is nothing wrong with that as long as you get things to the point you want them to be.

Maybe an ok example might be tween two reverbs: they are BOTH reverb but maybe one is a very sad free plugin that sounds metallic or ringy, where as some expensive hardware reverb similarly set may sound broad, deep, full, warm or something.

Many differences come down to the physical audio output amps sound comes out of.... your portable radio never seems to sound as good as your $4000 home theater... same deal, quality matters.

PERSONALLY, I'm to the point of not caring about the oh so minor differences tween this or that, as long as it doesn't sound like crap in the final mix. I could care less about a side by side comparo where this EQ sounds 2% better than that EQ in a sterile, soloed environment... how does it sound in the mix? In the end EITHER EQ is simply a different "color" and maybe I choose the bad sounding one for it's color. When everyone uses teh best sounding one, and everything sounds the same, and mine stands out due to using the bad one and everyone loves it, it is no longer a "bad" one. See how that works?

No rules.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

far as actual testing and listening goes, I tend to use a soloed SNARE drum, or strings, or vocal or something alone and see what the EQ or whatever subtracts or adds to it. try a variety of plugs or gear, maybe even load of a frequency graph and watch it too. play it over and over and over, trying different settings and listening to the results.

to find RANGES of various not so well marked EQs, I'll load up some PINK noise and a live freq graph and play and watch.

The important part is LISTENING, not so much staring at a screen and watching (contradicting my previous words above), but LISTENING to the effects and hearing what they are do. And are they musical, and does it help the overall song
Old 23rd December 2010
Thank you very much for your answer I guess I'll have to do some testing with my EQ's and comp's then Do you know if someone have done it before which I can listen to maybe?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

My brother is a compressor-reviewing madman. Check out his site:
Compressor Reviews
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
My brother is a compressor-reviewing madman. Check out his site:
Compressor Reviews
Wow!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search