The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
gigging with the Airbase 99 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

gigging with the Airbase 99

I'll be playing out soon first time with the Airbase 99 and am wondering if I'll need compression on these drums . . . the signal is WAY hot and just about blew a mixer channel on a pretty low setting . . . anyone gigging with one of these have any tips ?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
I'll be playing out soon first time with the Airbase 99 and am wondering if I'll need compression on these drums . . . the signal is WAY hot and just about blew a mixer channel on a pretty low setting . . . anyone gigging with one of these have any tips ?
I played with an airbase triggered by a MAM SQ16 a couple of years ago and people in the club enjoyed the hard raw sound.
Today most clubbers like compressed (often over compressed) drums.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I assume you're not going to be tweaking your patches much? it's not exactly the most setup box for live tweaking... ;-)

So - set the presets you will use to all be at reasonably matched levels for a start, and you should be fine.

and if you are going to tweak it, spend a good amount of time practicing tweaking the patches for different tracks in different ways as part of your liveset so you know what you can and can't do at the gig.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

LOL, no tweaking on the Airbase live at least this time around. I'll be too busy tweaking my CS-15 and the distortion/feedback on the Polyevolver all night heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

get a controller for the 99 and tweak away!

what is your other hardware setup , specifically mixer and outboard? how many outs do you use of the 99 ? as stated before the airbase is very raw sounding , a bit of polish could help . particularly if your changing sounds a lot .

it wouldnt be a bad idea to run a dual mono comp and comp the snare and kick seprately , if just for a bit of safety.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
LOL, no tweaking on the Airbase live at least this time around. I'll be too busy tweaking my CS-15 and the distortion/feedback on the Polyevolver all night heh
cool - sounds easy then - just go through all your patches, and set the levels of the drums to all match. You will have no nasty patch change surprises.

though tweaking the distortion and feedback on a polyevolver is asking for trouble in terms of uncontrollable level jumps.... my MEK has been crazy enough to keep tame for the last two gigs we played with it. maybe you should have the limiter on your polyevolver?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's an actual criminal offence to use an Airbase without a controller.tutt

1 BCR2000/Novation zero/whatever..+ 30 mins assigning parameters...= Awesomeness.

gigging or otherwise..you'd be a penis not to.

..now off you go.

*ruffles hair*

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search