The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sequencer for MS-20? Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Sequencer for MS-20?

I am thinking about adding a sequencer to my MS-20, and I have a specific function for it in mind.

I would like the sequence to advance manually, with each note I play, rather than at predetermined steps such as 1/8th or 1/16th notes. Also, I would like it to use hz/oct, as thats what the MS-20 uses; I would rather not have to convert the signal, trying to keep it simple.

I am not experienced with step sequencers so maybe this manual note advancement is a standard feature? I usually see them running in a seies of 1/4 1/8th or 16th note steps on a clock but that is not what I want.

So what are my options out there, that do hz/oct?

I think the SQ-10 does this but It is vintage and I would rather buy something newer if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

tough. maybe something high-end like the sequentix cirklon could do it but something tells me that's not the direction you are looking to go. voltage is voltage though, and there are tricks to get the MS-20 to respond to 1v/octave.

but you'd probably be best with a midi-something and midi to hz/v converter
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Future Retro Mobius has HZ/V Outputs, but it is out of production. I don't know if the newer The Orb Sequencer is capable of sending HZ/V. The Mobius is a really cool sequencer!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks. So I guess I'll have to consider v/oct and MIDI sequencers as well given the limited options.

Is this feature I mention about manual advancement of steps rather than timed advancement a common mode on sequencers?

sequentix cirklon looks really nice with the 909 style interface but more than i want to spend.

The Orb looks cool but how does that work with only a few knobs--you set the value for each step one at a time? Same with Mobius?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

ORB.....One note at time. It defaults to the last pitch entered at the note that you activate. You can pop the notes on and off at any time. If you want to change the pitch you have to press one note to activate that step and then change the value via either pushing once for one step/push intervalls or by holding the increase or decrease button for a speedier change.

If you are looking to activate each advance you might want to look at some older stuff. The roland system 100 sequencer 103?104? can be advanced per step via a gate signal. There will also be a new Doepfer sequencer coming out that actually looks alot like the roland 103? functionally. Check it out.

Then there is all the moonmodular stuff where you can advance each step via gate signal. But all these solutions are 1volt per octave and I'm not sure if there is any new sequencer that has Hz or STrigger but I've never used any old Korg stuff so don't quote me on that....

Oh by the way... if your looking an ORB I'm selling one up in New Haven
Greets
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

There was an MS-20 on eBay that had a MIDI conversion that had stopped working. I considered bidding on it but was concerned about the midi work dones to it. I have an MS-10 and bought it new when the whole MS line came out. I wish I had had the extra $200 or so to get the MS-20 back then.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

keep in mind you'll need a voltage quantizer if you want the voltage output to be in any kind of scale.. but i guess it depends on how you have the patch set up.

basically, any sequencer with a clock input will advance one step at a time if you patch the gate output of your KB into the clock input. the clock will see the gate from the KB as a clock pulse and advance to the next step.

I do this all the time with the tiptop audio Z8000 in my euro rig. it's great fun feeding one of its many clock inputs note ons from a midi sequencer and making it advance to the next step.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search