The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cheap midi devices... Other Controllers
Old 22nd December 2010
cheap midi devices...

For basic beat making, would an M-audio keyrig be worth the time, or is it better to upgrade?

I don't want to spend too much on a midi controller, since it's my first, but I want it to perform well like all my other gear. I am prepared to open the wallet a little wider for this item, but if I can save 300 bucks, I'd be happy.

Anyone had bad experiences with cheap midi controllers?
Old 22nd December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

I played with the keyrig, feels but nice for cheap materials. Also it's pretty sturdy for what it is... but I wouldn't program a beat on it. I have a C-thru Axis 49 and is great for laying down drums.

I'm nowhere rich... I had some extra funds sometime ago not the case anymore... But for me I always bought stuff that was very well buit.

Instead of buying two midi controllers that are massproduced in China but the big guys for example I saved up a little and got myself a Monome (from the first batch).

Was one of the best buys ever. I can create via SevenUP for Live a complete track just with it. With instant visual feedback for drum programing etc.

So short answer : A keyrig is nice and not so expensive. But making a beat with visual feedback is something amazing and incomparable to a Keyrig.
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
For basic beat making, would an M-audio keyrig be worth the time, or is it better to upgrade?

I don't want to spend too much on a midi controller, since it's my first, but I want it to perform well like all my other gear. I am prepared to open the wallet a little wider for this item, but if I can save 300 bucks, I'd be happy.

Anyone had bad experiences with cheap midi controllers?

The Novation Nocturn 25 is well built. But an M-audio Keyrig 25 would be just as effective in use. With most of the tracks you hear on radio, the producers always seem to claim that they were composed on cheap M-audio keyboards...whether that is a good or bad thing is anyone's guess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search