The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors upgraded Bass Traps
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
Monitors upgraded

Well, well, well… ive just upgraded my MSP5A’s to HR624’s and the difference in the track I am working on is ridiculous.

My chords had far too much bass. My bassline was far too loud. There was far too much reverb and delay on synthy stab parts. The list goes on…

If theres a bit of advice id give anyone, it’d be “make your monitors the most expensive part of your studio”.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

also room treatment!

but...yes
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Let's a hear a before and after little snippet of the mix :D
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
i converted my garage a couple of years ago so there is a small ammount of treatment: DIY corner bass traps and a couple of absorbers on each wall either side of me. the actual room itself is terrible dimensionally, but you can only work within the room youve got. i took some pics of it a while ago but the hard drive in this laptop crashed.

too late for the before and after. lol. you can hear the 'after' some time soon though.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
heres a snippet:
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict
try again:
Attached Files

snippet2.wav (6.20 MB, 111 views)

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

bass and kick sitting very well together thumbsup

if that's what your hearing now then mission achieved
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict
well, if the new monitors give a more accurate response than the old ones, i was mixing up a muddy mess previously. lol dfegad

my next track will be crystal clear!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've said for years and have told my clients that studio monitors are THE MOST important part of your studio. Whether you are recording, editing, mixing, mastering, etc....MONITORS are what get used for every part of the process. When it comes to recording, too many home recordists just throw a mic up and hit record, then try to mix---however don't understand the true value of microphone selection, placement, and the over-all technique. When I track, I'm ALWAYS EVALUATING the selection of mic and placement through my monitors before settling on recording the track. Simply moving a mic by two inches can make all the difference in the world. If your D/A converter and your monitors don't allow you to hear what's there, you don't know what is there. The best mixes always come from having the best recordings up-front, but if you can't hear what you're recording---how can you achieve the best results?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict
exactly.

In my case, ive came from a dj-ing background and ive always been (and still am) more interested in the creative side of things ie. picking good samples/arranging the beats etc. and ive always thought ‘this sounds easy to make, I could do that (or do better! lol)’. Most people starting out don’t want to be bogged down with all the technical jargon (I still don’t), but then wonder why their creation sounds crap!?

That was my problem anyway, and maybe most people’s, they think it’s too easy?

It is easy to make a track, but it’s not easy to make a GREAT one! ;-)
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Have to agree that no piece of equipment that i own is as essential as monitors and actually hearing whats going on.
Really a lifechanger when it comes to my music when i got proper monitors, mixes has been improving ever since.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search