The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tenori-on as a hardware midi controller? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

Tenori-on as a hardware midi controller?

Greetings!

I'm looking for a step-sequencer for a couple of old Yamaha's FM synth modules I own. I've had the FR Orb on my mind for a long time, but very recently I ran into Yamaha's own Tenori-on, which seems to be pretty fun and nifty synthesizer, but it also seems to have potential to be a versatile midi sequencer. Now, I've read that the Tenori-on does unfortunately have some shortcomings as a hardware sequencer, but I haven't been able to find out what exactly they are, so if anyone has experience sequencing their hardware through the Tenori-on, I'd be glad to hear if you think I should stick with the Orb or consider Yamaha.

Also I'm willing to hear if there are any interesting alternatives within the same price range ($500-600). Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I have one, and it's pretty cool in my opinion. But i'd describe it as a 'different' midi sequencer, rather than versatile.

The short comings are things like having next to no control over note length or velocity. But then analogue step sequencers don't usually give you much control over that kind of thing either. And in many respects, as a sequencer it is comparable to an analogue step sequencer, except the Tenori-on is polyphonic. Plus instead of only one way to sequence, it has 5 or 6 ways.

On the subject of analogue step sequencers though, you could also look at things like the Doepfer MAQ 16/3. This thing spits out midi as well as CV data. And is good for sequencing not only note data, but just about any kind of midi controller data too. There is much coolness to be had when step sequencing midi controller data
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search