The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLub tracks being mastered in the red !!??
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

One of the worst things I've experienced, clipping tracks. Some are so bad that it adds what amounts to percussion when output. You simply can't play a track that clips--it becomes unpredictable and can ruin the groove of a song. Too many times I've had to discard songs simply due to this problem.

Great music can be made by any amateur, but refining their mixing and mastering procedures cannot be overlooked. I only mention that subset because that's where I've seen it most.

Cool to see Jody on the forums! Is 909Abuser here too? hahaha Love your guys' music!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by (un)reason View Post
You send the track to outboard gear, and then back to the computer. The clipping takes place on the way back in, after the external eq, compression, limiting, etc. Exactly what effect this has varies quite widely depending on the interface used. Often, it's more pleasing than just turning the volume up a few more DB in the box and creating flat clips with no smoothing at all.
Figured it must be something like that. I wonder how this compares sonically to a limiter like Elephant which can be used specifically for 'gentle' clipping.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPlasma View Post
What a bunch of nonsense lol
No it's not nonsense, try reading or asking, or using the search button and you'll discover that a lot of mastering is done otb. In fact most MEs still prefer it, even if you're going back to digital. Some MEs, who have high end A/D prefer very slight clipping in the final A to D stage as opposed to aggressive limiting.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Club Tracks

So many of those "todays club tracks" are done completely in the box in home studios without proper (professional) mastering on a crappy sound cards with crappy plugins. Only rule is that track must kick ass in the club, who cares is it too loud or is it way too much compressed. This is sad and i think those tracks will never reach near success by any means.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search