The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensoniq Mirage: which key is the original tuned/speed sample put on? and other Qs? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Ensoniq Mirage: which key is the original tuned/speed sample put on? and other Qs?

I finally got around to sampling with my Mirage, my first sample with it ever

...I sampled/resampled my Juno 60 into it using a simple Cmin7 chord, with some basic parameters/settings. I sampled once into the L1 (lower bank) wave 1, and also hit another sample on the U1 (upper) wave 1 or 2 (I forget). Sounds lovely!

I have 3 questions...

When I sample anything (in my case a Cmin7 chord), which key on the keyboard plays the original sample at the original tone/speed??? And, is the particular key always different depending on what setting I am on (ie: lower, upper, both lower and upper)

I need to know, as it is important for me to actually know what chord I am actually playing with what particular single key I am pressing on the Mirage playing the said sample (the resampled chord) ...like for when I am playing a particular progression, or need to know what key I am in to add solos, bass lines, riffs, etc., etc.

The first sample is on the left half of the keys, and 2nd sample is on the right half of the keys, going from lower notes to higher notes on each half. How do I get the notes to all play continuously, from the lowest note (all the way to the left of the keyboard) to all the way to the most right key, chromatically, using only one sample (the same sample)?

Also, how do I get it to loop so when I hold down a key in coninually plays forever? I set the Wavesample Start at the earliest (00) and Wavesample End at the latest (FF) and have the Loop End at the longest (FF)... holding the key down sounds the sample for a good amount of time, maybe around 3-6 seconds, but then stops... I notice some of my sound disks, it never stops and keeps playing forever as long as I have a key held down. How do I get a sample to keep playing and playing forever as long as the key is held down? Do I have the correct settings? Or is there more settings I should be setting stuff at.

Also, sample settings and parameters for resampling synths, etc. welcome. I just put in basic sample settings I got from that black background Mirage Starters Guide website. The only settings I did was set for highest sample rate of 29khz and input filter/nyquist at 17khz (I shoulda went lower than half I think; 29khz is a numeric setting of "34" and I accidentally thought it was 34khz and chose 17khz as the nyquist mistakingly, lol)

thanks
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Please don;t take this the wrong way, but RTFM.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmo View Post
Please don;t take this the wrong way, but RTFM.
Ummmm... do you own a Mirage?? ..or are you just hopping on the "tell the n00b to read the manual" bandwagon?? ..no offense..

Unlike many other synths and drum machines made by alesis, roland akai, etc... Ensoniq Mirage info is very rare on the net. Many user groups & links are old and dead, and the Mirage is monopolized by synataur or some other company and this/these companies are taking all the info and sound files OFF of the net.

Manual?? Forget about it.... I have yet to find a PDF manual link that is still alive and working...if anyone knows of where to DL one, please do tell. I think the only one I have found is a real printed version on ebay, none on there currently, a rare item and is usually a couple bucks. I can easily find PDF manuals for my mpc, juno, TR drum machines, old effects, yamaha CS's, etc...but not the Mirage..
Old 22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/manuals...%27s_guide.pdf

took less than 30 seconds with google...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

lol...Im a [email protected]! I was looking for the regular manual and not the "advanced sampling manual"; so I guess I skipped this. Anyone have the a pdf or pdf link to the regular Mirage manual? ...that's the one I cannot seem to find... but I guess the "Advanced Sampling" manual will work even better I guess..
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

have you joined the two mirage lists in yahoo groups yet and looked in the file sections?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

i've asked this at mirage-NET before and there was no definitive answer.

the pitch is dependent on sample rate so i've learned to stay at certain rates. the higher the sample rate the lower the initial pitch and vise versa. sample a tone into each spot and use your ears to bring each back on key and on a note that is easy to remember, then save and use as a template.

i use a setting of 45(p73) for samples. if i were to load up the above template, which was sampled and tuned using 45, then i'd have to use 45 again or the new samples would be off. if the new sample rate is different than 45 but the same for each, they would be in tune with each other but not the same pitch as using 45. so getting the pitch right for the first template is important.

masos makes things faster since you can use the rec/play sequencer buttons to select the sample number instead of always typing in p26. plus, the selected function is always present ie the filter etc when you jump between samples using the masos buttons since typing p26 always means you have to re-enter the function number each time.

although, when masos is loaded the display doesn't flicker as much as when 3.2 is loaded and 3.2 scrolls faster and without hiccups. masos sample select shortcut pwns though
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

nofi: Yeah...there are a bunch of links ive seen over the months... and I think 99% of them are dead, lol. Disappointing, as many of them are titled "new samples here", "sound files", "original mirage sound disk files",etc... I get excited, then it's of course too good to be true :/

pootie: Wow, sounds harder than I thought then. I am reading the advanced manual today; not expecting for it to have something like perfect original tuning setting for the original sound...though I hope it's in there somewhere. I am just trying to make my, lets say, my Cmin7 sample play on the C key on the Mirage, in original tuning, that way I know what the other chords I am parallely playing are when I hit other keys on the mirage...ie: if my C chord sample is correctly played/programmed in correct tuning on the C key, that means say the E key will play Emin7, a B key will play Bmin7, Gb plays a Gbmin7, and so on and so on..
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

set c by comparing to the source sound until the pitch is set. use a higher tone from the source module to sample and tune the higher sample etc. it's not that hard and you only have to do it once. i was doing this with vinyl samples but i think you can do it much more accurately and effectively using a synth. all you have to do is set the pitch on the first note (or middle note) of each sample. so using 2 samples per half you'd do it twice per half etc

using multiple sample rates would be a challenge and more work to tune, although would sound cool with the different textures.

this is actually a good idea to take the original masos disk and properly sample and tune each of the banks into a template disk hmmm....
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search