The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Muse Receptors Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Muse Receptors

I'd like to hear from anyone using any versions of the Muse Receptor.

Is this a credible piece of gear? Any-and-all thoughts, comments, pros/cons are welcomed.

thanks.
Old 22nd December 2010
I've had mine (a rev. A) for 4 1/2 yrs, it's been an excellent addition to my rig. I've shifted every other piece of gear in my live setup, but the Receptor stays. Everything has its pros and cons, I use it as an add-on; I don't try to do everything on it but rather do the stuff that no other piece of equipment in my rig can do, such as playing Ivory or Atmosphere live, using Kontakt 4 as a sampler with 4gb RAM and playing all kinds of soft synths. I use my Kurz PC3 as my main sound source and midi master, and then I use for instance FM8, Pro-53 and VB3 in one band, AAS Ultra Analog and Sonicprojects OP-X pro in another. I recently did a +30 gigs x-mas tour running Atmosphere and strings from IK:s Miroslav library and it worked out great both sonically and in using it. You can get more raw power with a computer, but then you don't get the integration and road worthy construction, and in my experience the OS is very streamlined and it still holds its own. My computer equivalent would be the Powerbook G4 I'm writing this on, and I wouldn't even consider taking it out of the house. The Receptor gets regular use.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

so has the receptor ever crashed or done something wrong ? Is it as stable as hardware ?

are the main issues just plug in compatibility and functionality ?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd be worried about being unable to install / reinstall the OS myself? Isn't this only done at their HQ in California?

Basically... if the HD crashes or breaks you have to ship it back or have them ship you a replacement?

Or have I got it wrong?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

I had the 1st version of the Receptor in my studio for several years. Back when I was using a Mac G4, the Receptor was great for off loading resources and letting me run Trilogy, RMX and Omnisphere. After a couple years, the power source within the Receptor crapped out. I had to ship it to Muse, they charged me for a new power source and got it back within a week. I had to re-install the OS and all my plug's which can be quite time consuming and tricky. A few months later the unit crapped out again and they wanted me to re-ship, re-charge me and repair which meant I had to Re-install again.

That was enough. Now with my new Quad Core, I can run all my VI's in DP and have LIVE rewired without a hiccup.

I could see the Receptor still being valuable for live performance, but not as a studio unit.

Just my .02

Tod
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogaddict View Post
I use my Kurz PC3 as my main sound source and midi master, and then I use for instance FM8
Hey cool!

Maybe these are stupid questions but: once a vst in loaded in Receptor, can you do any further editing to patches? Can you do things like, assign the sliders on your PC3 to control the operator level/frequency in FM8 using midi CCs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search