The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you "treat" Korg's patches ITB? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

How do you "treat" Korg's patches ITB?

For some reason I have many Korg hardware synths in my studio. My main controller is a Triton Pro X (which I still rely on quite frequently for sounds). I also have a Trinity Plus, Z1, MS2000, Radias, CX3 (2001), X5D, Wavestation and Wavestation EX. I also own modules from Roland: JV2080, VP9000, E-MU: Audity 2000, Access: Virus Classic, Akai S2000, not mention tons of soft synths...

I simply tend to gravitate to Korg sounds despite their sometimes "cold" and "Treble" characteristics. I run them through various Pre-amps and compressors to add a bit of warmth and often times run them through guitar pedals or my Line6 POD XT. However I find that "In the Box" is where I do the most sound design with sounds and rely heavily on Tape Saturation plug ins, convolution re-verbs, and deductive EQ to tweak the typical KORG patch.

Curious to hear what others generally do with KORG samples and what they like/dislike about them. Personally I find Korg's piano samples pretty thin and way too bright however I find them very useable after adding some distortion
and bottom end EQ.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Hi gongbass,

Thanks for using so much of our gear.

One thing you might experiment with is the "Pitch Stretch" function in Program mode. It simultaneously transposes and detunes the samples you're playing, giving them very different tonal character. Try taking a piano's Pitch Stretch value from 0 to -3 for a warmer, darker sound.

Hope this helps,
-Rich
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

This is a great suggestion, thank you! Hope I didn't come off sounding critical. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Korg products (also have electribe r, kaoss pad, kaossilator, Monotron, padKontrol and LOVE the TP-2 preamp!). However any composer/sound designer looks at any patch or sample as a "starting point" !

I'm a film/TV composer and just released a full score (The Aquarian Project, Music by Patrick Finnegan). Most tracks are chock full of Korg products! Keep up the great work!
Old 22nd December 2010
I have recently gotten into a more chill-out electronica jazz thing going so the sounds in my Triton 61 have gotten a little more attention lately, especially since it is my main sequencing station. Recently I tracked one of my songs into PT and tracked using my Soundcraft Series 500 modular mixing console. I have to say it really brings the Triton sounds to life when tracking, more so than tracking with class a preamps I have had the opportunity to use in the past like Great River, Summit and Avalon pre's and even used a Empiracle Labs Fatso. I still prefer my mixer for tracking, especially for Triton or MS2000 sounds. I am guessing that british EQ does something special. Many times when I shape my sounds I will rely on the Triton's internal effects section, adding reverb and delay to brighten things up along with the master effects section when I am in multi-mode. On almost every song I have used a sub bass from the Triton to fatten up a bass line from Voyager, Andromeda or Prophet 600. Other Korg products in my lineup are a KP3, ESX, O1W-FD and a Miocrokorg to accompany my MS2000. Really wish Korg would put a real analog synth on the market, something affordable similar to a Little Phatty or Mopho synths, I am sure they would not dissapoint. Then I wouldn't have to worry so much about adding warmth when tracking!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

What's up gongbass? Like you, I love the sound of my old Korg hardware (as well as Roland, Emu, and other stuff). My controller is a Fantom XA, and I run all of my modules (03R/W, Trinity, Triton, JV-1080, Mophatt, XL1, SE1X) through a Neve 1272. Once inside the box I usually run the tracks through the UAD Neve 88RS and Fatso plug-ins. Anything "thin" gets layered with a similar patch from one of the soft synths within Logic.

@Rich - like the "Pitch Stretch" idea. Thanks! thumbsup
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Judah View Post
What's up gongbass? Like you, I love the sound of my old Korg hardware (as well as Roland, Emu, and other stuff). My controller is a Fantom XA, and I run all of my modules (03R/W, Trinity, Triton, JV-1080, Mophatt, XL1, SE1X) through a Neve 1272. Once inside the box I usually run the tracks through the UAD Neve 88RS and Fatso plug-ins. Anything "thin" gets layered with a similar patch from one of the soft synths within Logic.

@Rich - like the "Pitch Stretch" idea. Thanks! thumbsup
I've become quite the fan (Again) of the Korg stuff. It's kinda funny: Korg is one of those companies that when you think you're fed up with what they have to offer and you're ready to move on, they come out and snag you back into their clutches and say in effect "Hey ! Where R U Goin dude, didn't U just hear that ?". I'm online right now looking for an EX-8000, DSS-1, Delta, N264, Z1, 01R/W, EX M1R, Oasys, Oasys PCI, MS2000BR, as we speak right along with a Wavestation SR - And I already have two of those !

To this day, I still can't believe how good the Wavestation SR sounds sonically. Warming them up through a Neve 1272, or a Fatso definitely will help those synths along though. Good stuff !!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to say if it were the case, but just wondering... RichF, any plans on adding the Triton as a legacy plugin?
Old 22nd December 2010
my korg O1w/fd has been with me through thick & thin since '91. i love the cliche presets that it has but also enjoy making my own patches and whatnot. last week i used it on an ambient part of a track. basically processed this slow evolving patch with the ensoniq dp/4 for the dark reverbs, grit, etc and used some eq in logic. if a sound is too bright i generally start with the "make darker' preset in logic's eqs and then tweak from there but sometimes the brightness = win, it depends . . i've been seriously tempted to pick up a wavestation a/d and mono/poly or poly six but i might pick up the software versions instead.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I'm guessing you wouldn't be able to say if it were the case, but just wondering... RichF, any plans on adding the Triton as a legacy plugin?
That's true, I can't speak about future products. I can, however, point out that lots of people request this one, and Korg Inc. is totally aware that people want it.

@gongbass, no worries about sounding critical, that's how we improve.

@kstackm, Liam Judah, Popbott, gregwar- thanks for your input.

-Rich
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Hey Rich, I've tried you "pitch stretch" suggestion and it does indeed add some warmth to a patch. My question, is it altering the actual pitch, ie. would I have to "pitch quantize or correct" in my DAW?

By ear it doesn't really seem to be altering the notes in terms of a full half step, however just curious if it does alter it in microtones?

thanks!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass View Post
Hey Rich, I've tried you "pitch stretch" suggestion and it does indeed add some warmth to a patch. My question, is it altering the actual pitch, ie. would I have to "pitch quantize or correct" in my DAW?

By ear it doesn't really seem to be altering the notes in terms of a full half step, however just curious if it does alter it in microtones?

thanks!
It's a parameter within the program itself. You shouldn't have to change anything in your DAW.

The sound you hear while adjusting the Pitch Stretch parameter will always be the original pitch. It applies detuning, then transposing to the opposite amount, thereby canceling any pitch change. The tonal change happens because the processes of detuning and transposing each affect the sample differently. Interesting, huh?
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass View Post
I simply tend to gravitate to Korg sounds despite their sometimes "cold" and "Treble" characteristics.
That pretty much sums it up... OH you could add WAYYYYYY TOOOO MUCHHHH REVERBBBBBB as well...

Im not such a big fan of Korg sonically anymore but my Triton Pro is still the center of my studio. Korg hit one hell of a home run with that box. Mine runs 9 other synths, including my vintage minimoog, and is locked to protools.

The drums, once treated- compression and eq, are pretty good. I like the moss board as well. But I tend to run mostly in sequencer mode to avoid the EVERYTHING WALLOWING IN REVERB issue (and to have it as a controller)... Its a bit silly. And you lose some of the cool sounds that way.

I also like to slap my Neve 2254 in bypass in front of it from a 1073 or API 312 which helps quite a bit.

But that touch screen and great controller features plus owning it since the first month it was released makes it hard to not keep it in the center. Ive got PT8 and Logic 8 and I still do everything on the triton.

Too bad the buttons all go to crap and the joystick was one of the BIGGEST POS ever made... I call it Triton two times... two times... cause you gotta push everything twice!

And I STILL have it front and center...

Overall I agree, its a good sounding synth in many ways! And a little outboard goes a long way.

And kill the reverb... yeah I already said that but its so bad, you can't say it enough. And the reverb itself isn't bad, its their use of it!

I wonder, do all the korg programmers live in giant tunnels?
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

hahaha... Yeah I usually pull down the reverb on the master FX bus on my Triton as well. For me the Triton Pro-x has and will be my main controller for a long time. Its my only 88 key board, its sounds are still highly useable and sure I have the same issue with my touch screen and the scroll wheel is temperamental but those things add about 30 seconds total to a session. There just isn't another board out there that is tempting me away from the this one. I have a Radias, CX3 and Z1 so the Oasys isn't really worth the $. I've played one and its a beast but when you have many of the synths its sound engine incorporates and its been out for a few years its just not gonna happen.

I like roland sounds (I have a JV2080), they tend to be a bit fatter and warmer however they always seem a bit "dull" in the mix, whereas Korg sounds (albeit bright on the way in) tend to stack better. There's something about Korg hardware boards that I just can't let go of. My Trinity Plus and X5D get used the least out of all my gear aside from my Tascam DA78 but I still visit them for various sounds from time to time. The Trinity Plus has the S bank with the prophecy sounds on it (I still love those) and the X5D has some of the M1 sounds that I need for some reason or another.

Korg gets criticized for their piano sounds a lot but I think its not really fair. Roland has lots of useable piano patches but very few dazzle. I have Ivory and a bunch of Bosendorf samples in MOTU Mach 5 V.2 for grands but when you need an articulate, bright patch to cut through a track with a heavy drone or synth bed, Korg's do the job with very a little tweaking.

The Wavestation EX should be excluded from the standard "too bright" category. I love that board to death for it warm, "moving" synth pads. I do a lot of underscore stuff for TV and its still THE board for droning pads. It always adds that "thing" to a piece. The Z1 is an unsung hero as well. Its patches are a little cliche but the thing is so easy to edit and once you dig in a bit it really shines. If my studio was on fire I think I might grab that first.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
i've only used the korg EMX and i find the sounds sit very well in my mixes. the drums need a bit of compression and sometimes you get clicks at the attacks on bass notes.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Thought I'd point this out, since I don't think anyone's mentioned it, although you're probably aware of this. Korg's MDE-X plugin is based on the Tritons internal FX, so the Triton's FX are already available as a plugin. Because workstations like the Triton often lean on FX heavily it's arguably a large part of its sound too. Only $19.99 from Korg as an individual download.
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
That pretty much sums it up... OH you could add WAYYYYYY TOOOO MUCHHHH REVERBBBBBB as well...

Im not such a big fan of Korg sonically anymore but my Triton Pro is still the center of my studio. Korg hit one hell of a home run with that box. Mine runs 9 other synths, including my vintage minimoog, and is locked to protools.

The drums, once treated- compression and eq, are pretty good. I like the moss board as well. But I tend to run mostly in sequencer mode to avoid the EVERYTHING WALLOWING IN REVERB issue (and to have it as a controller)... Its a bit silly. And you lose some of the cool sounds that way.

I also like to slap my Neve 2254 in bypass in front of it from a 1073 or API 312 which helps quite a bit.

But that touch screen and great controller features plus owning it since the first month it was released makes it hard to not keep it in the center. Ive got PT8 and Logic 8 and I still do everything on the triton.

Too bad the buttons all go to crap and the joystick was one of the BIGGEST POS ever made... I call it Triton two times... two times... cause you gotta push everything twice!

And I STILL have it front and center...

Overall I agree, its a good sounding synth in many ways! And a little outboard goes a long way.

And kill the reverb... yeah I already said that but its so bad, you can't say it enough. And the reverb itself isn't bad, its their use of it!

I wonder, do all the korg programmers live in giant tunnels?
Wow, I think I love my Triton as much as you love yours. I have PT, other DAWs & workstations, but the Korg sequencer is fast, doesn' crash and runs 12 of my other synths with no problems. When I am ready to move to PT I just save my song as a standard MIDI file and pop it into PT, easy as pie. Often my friends ask, "Is that the Voyager?" Ha-haa!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm a Wavestation (user/lover/addict) have the EX Keyboard and a couple of A/D's. I usually treat them with outboard Reverb & delay from; PCM-70, SPX-90 or Quadraverb, then ITB usually put a bit of EQ on them from Logic.

Just got the microKORG, I haven't used it for anything yet, just messing around with it, I do like the vocoder a lot, I don't love the interface, but have the Mac Editor, which is a big help with getting around it's insides. Enjoying it so far, pretty big sounds for a little package!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search