The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trying to get signed! Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Trying to get signed!

Hey guys i've been producing for a year now... or trying to near enough.. :D Anyways i have decided to test my track on the field for an official release. I would love to hear some slutty advice before i send it out..

WHAT DO YOU THINK COULD BE IMPROVED?
WHAT YOU LIKE AND DONT LIKE?
IS IT GOOD ENOUGH?

P.S. I always return precious feedback =]

Heres my previous track that i do not plan to release so far.

P.P.S. Do you know any labels for Progressive house? can you please leave the names? Thank you!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

the claps in that song sound huge, how did you do it? heh
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

im glad u notice that! Simply layering a few.. compressing them with very high attack and finnaly some logics Space Designer! =]
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Well mixed, good energy... but... I can't help but think of a detuned version of "Better Off Alone" when I hear that hook. Which kills it for me.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Was not my intention believe ir or not! :D The melody was played by me and me only and so was the synth... no presets or midi parts!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Track sounds good. I think the kick needs to have a bit more low frequency energy but when you get it mastered that should help out.

As for getting signed, just send emails to record labels who deal with progressive house. Go on Beatport and take a note of some labels who have a similar sound to yours and write them all down on a list. When you've got the list ready, start sending out emails/links. Don't wait around for a reply as they can take there time, so just start on your next production. If nobody replies, just send some more emails to other labels and hand it out to some well known dj's to create a buzz. Hope this helps

PS: What synths did you use in this track?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advice! But what i found with this method is that most labels do not give you an email in their site to send demos! How do u go about that?

The synths used in Ventra are ES2, ESP, Refx Vanguard.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

All the labels will have a contact email, you just have to search really good on there website or myspace page or facebook etc. They will always have a contact, but I must admit they do make it hard to find sometimes.

If you cannot find a contact just send them a message on there myspace page.

Good Luck
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks man you are really helpfull! This is my first time trying to release so sry for asking stupid things...
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middollo View Post
Thanks man you are really helpfull!
Its cool, that's what this place is for.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Trying to get signed to what?

Trying to get signed? To what? There IS no music industry... or at least, no version of of it that can do anything better than what you can already do for yourself.

Seriously.

I know the dream is to be a label artist and they realize your brilliance and make you a huge star... sadly, "they" don't exist.

And the reality is, most remaining labels pretty much want you to do their job for them, come in with a guaranteed audience, tours, promotion, the albums, the works... why do you even need them?

Think about it.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

This is so true. The only reason i need the label for is to reach a bigger audience. Yes some of them are just selling you their name so you can have a fancy logo on beatport and thats about it but there are the ones that do heavy advertising... they are the ones im trying to reach out for... And if i fail as soon as i turn 18 i will start my own.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Trying to get signed? To what? There IS no music industry... or at least, no version of of it that can do anything better than what you can already do for yourself.

Seriously.

I know the dream is to be a label artist and they realize your brilliance and make you a huge star... sadly, "they" don't exist.

And the reality is, most remaining labels pretty much want you to do their job for them, come in with a guaranteed audience, tours, promotion, the albums, the works... why do you even need them?

Think about it.

So true, it makes me feel sick, but there is some labels out there that are still doing a good job like Defected, Toolroom & Cr2 Records.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Do you guys think i should get some decent artwork done b4 sending it to labels like toolroom and defected etc... Or is it not needed they re-do it themselves no?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middollo View Post
This is so true. The only reason i need the label for is to reach a bigger audience. Yes some of them are just selling you their name so you can have a fancy logo on beatport and thats about it but there are the ones that do heavy advertising... they are the ones im trying to reach out for... And if i fail as soon as i turn 18 i will start my own.

Well your on the right road and if your only 17 more power to ya. If you continue to make great tunes you'll be well sorted by the time you hit 20. I wish I had been more proactive at that age...

No need for artwork, just top quality tracks. There IS a need for a good looking and organized web presence though, FB, MS, RA, YT, mailing list. Getting a photographer to take a few nice profile shots is a good idea.

Personally I wouldn't bother starting your own label till way later in the game, nobody knows you, and by extension nobody will know your label (unless you have loads of cash for promotion). Ireland is littered with such underperforming labels, believe me.

edit: Locally you can try sending some of your stuff to Full Tilt, they are doing well and are really sound guys.

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Its very nice to hear from someone local!! I thought dance music culture is absolutely dead in Ireland! I will definetly be sending my demos to Full Tilt, they look like they're really into what they do! I hope there will be no legal issues since im 17... Do you happen to know any other Irish dance labels as i had trouble finding any?! Thank you.
Old 22nd December 2010
No worries thats what we're here for.

For your style of music I'd say they are the only ones locally of interest to you. Actually the under 18 thing is a small issue, you'll have to get your parents to sign any contracts, etc.

Track down the DJs here that play your kind of music and start sending them demos, there's not that many of them so (mostly RTE Pulse and Power FM).

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

I really need to start doing this. I suppose its a good thing that theres not that many of them... makes things easyer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search