The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moogerfooger MF-103 vs Vermona PH-16 vs ? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Moogerfooger MF-103 vs Vermona PH-16 vs ?

I've been listening to a lot of disco lately (like Droids, Space, Three Degrees, Munich Machine, etc) and I'm in love with a lot of the phaser effects they use on synth strings, clavichords, etc.

I try to replicate this sound with my Waves plug-ins, and it just doesn't really cut it--too digital and not "gooey" enough, for want of a better word.

So, I'm thinking about getting an honest-to-goodness analog phaser.

Currently, I'm considering the Moog MF-103 and the Vermona PH-16.

I'm currently leaning towards the Moog since, after listening to the samples up on Moog's website, it seems to have exactly the sound I'm looking for. I haven't been able to track down any examples of the Vermona, but it looks appealing because its a true stereo phaser (I don't think that the Moog is?) and it comes as a single rack space unit instead of as an effects pedal.

Does anyone have experience with both of these? Which one did you prefer? Are there any other options I should be considering?
Old 21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
Are there any other options I should be considering?
The current Sound on Sound has a review of a new phaser, the Mode Machines KRP1 "Krautrock" Phaser. I haven't heard it, but it's a positive review (they consider it a viable alternative to the MF-103). Might be worth checking out...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Is that a commercial version of Jurgen Haible's "krautrock" phaser?

edit: yes, same one. Herr Haible does excellent work, too.

Visit Mode Machines at Hall A, Booth 6735 @ NAMM to hear for yourself...
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
after listening to the samples up on Moog's website, it seems to have exactly the sound I'm looking for. I haven't been able to track down any examples of the Vermona, but it looks appealing because its a true stereo phaser (I don't think that the Moog is?)
I've got the Moog and it is lush. Dreamy, liquidy, swirly, all of those other adjectives. I love it. But I haven't tried the Vermona or Mode Machines Krautrock so I can't compare. I'm sure they sound good too.

The Moog only has one input and it achieves pseudo-stereo by splitting one 6-stage phaser to the main out and the other 6-stage to an aux output. The Vermona is "true" stereo because it has two inputs. I guess your source material will make a huge difference as to whether or not "true stereo" matters to you. If Left and Right program material is very similar (as in a stereo sampled piano) then after it goes through a bunch of phasing there probably won't be a huge difference between splitting a mono signal and true stereo processing.

Another big selling point for me was that the Moog has lots of CV control and I use it with my modular. The Vermona and Mode Machines each have one CV input. At one time I had 6 Moogerfoogers but I sold most of them when I got into modulars. The only two I kept were the 103 Phaser and the 102 Ring Mod.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I used to have a Cwejman SPH-2 and it was lovely sounding. Thick and wide without sounding too extreme. Full voltage control. I recorded a demo while working on a track a few months ago.

make sure you listen in high quality mode to hear the effect properly

Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

The Cwejman looks interesting...but at twice the price of either the Moog or the Vermona, not *that* interesting!
Old 23rd December 2010
my favs:

small stone - for classic 4 stage phasing
moogerfooger - 6 & 12 deep phasing
mxr phase 100 - classic 70s 6-stage
mxr phase 45 - light 2-stage phasing without losing top end.. great for rhodes and clean guitars..

never used Vermona.. demos sound interesting with the 8- and 16-stage effect... but its different from classic phasing one uses most of the time. doesn't sound overly warm, a bit clinical.. but its only demos cant be sure. id love to try one never the less.. maybe it could complement my smallstone and mooger..

my 0.02
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
I used to have a Cwejman SPH-2 and it was lovely sounding. Thick and wide without sounding too extreme. Full voltage control. I recorded a demo while working on a track a few months ago.

make sure you listen in high quality mode to hear the effect properly

gorgeous. wow. now i understand why people rave on so about cwejmans.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Is small stone 4 stage? I thought it was 6 stage...
Also the Roland rack units are great i have 2x SPH323 and they are really fantastic sounding units. 4 or 8 stage, 2 lfos or external cv input...
Run a JP8 sting patch into it and it just sounds incredible!
I like the Ensoniq DP4 too... but its a digital box- but sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
my favs:

small stone - for classic 4 stage phasing
moogerfooger - 6 & 12 deep phasing
mxr phase 100 - classic 70s 6-stage
mxr phase 45 - light 2-stage phasing without losing top end.. great for rhodes and clean guitars..

never used Vermona.. demos sound interesting with the 8- and 16-stage effect... but its different from classic phasing one uses most of the time. doesn't sound overly warm, a bit clinical.. but its only demos cant be sure. id love to try one never the less.. maybe it could complement my smallstone and mooger..

my 0.02
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

SPH323 demo:

Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

EHX.com | Flanger Hoax - Phaser/Flanger Modulator | Electro-Harmonix

Here's another worth checking out....

I don't own one, but I found it alot of fun to try one time, and it'd be another alternative to the Vermona/MF-103....I don't think every knob can be controlled by a foot pedal, but it's not like Electro-Harmonix gives the same control options the moogerfoogers do.
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
SPH323 demo:

beautiful ..
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for the Moog
Old 19th January 2011
Here for the gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPfj7LfcrZs&feature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
The current Sound on Sound has a review of a new phaser, the Mode Machines KRP1 "Krautrock" Phaser. I haven't heard it, but it's a positive review (they consider it a viable alternative to the MF-103). Might be worth checking out...

YouTube - Mode Machines Krautrockphaser Demo
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

There are a few more demos at the bottom of this page

KRP-1 Krautrock Phaser - MODE MACHINES

Pricey pedal , but sounds beautiful .
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

That's what I would get:

Last edited by OurDarkness; 20th January 2011 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: Fixed wrong image.
Old 19th January 2011
Bio
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I would get:
You mean this ?

Quote:
I've heard nothing but bad things about Bob Hordnijk, how he'll take your order, but probably not deliver. If you don't believe me, scope out Moog's forum, and you'll see a few people that have been scammed. Not a good person to deal with, even if he used to work for Bob Moog back in the day....
I made a search on the Moog forum and found nothing...
Inversely if you made a search in the muffwiggler for example, there is only praise for him.

Where did you see that ?
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Addict

since no one else seems to have used the Vermona PH-16...

i have. it's pretty interesting sounding, but i'm just about positive it's not the sound you are looking for, based on your interest in disco string phased sounds... it's more modern and cold sounding, not as lush as the Mooger (which i also have). i sold the PH-16 and kept the Mooger BTW

i def think that a vintage EHX Small Stone is perfect for the sound you want, because it is probably the one that most disco producers actually used. not sure if the reissues would get you there... probably close enough, but i can't say because i've only used a vintage one

another option if you want stereo - pick up 2 of these:

Malekko Heavy Industry «» Phase

i haven't heard, but they're cheap and everything Malekko makes sounds pretty great
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
You mean this ?

I made a search on the Moog forum and found nothing...
Inversely if you made a search in the muffwiggler for example, there is only praise for him.

Where did you see that ?
What the heck?? I realize the comment about Rob Hordijk (not "BOB HORDNIJK") was not yours, Bio, but I don't see where it came from originally. It doesn't appear in any prior posts in this thread. Whoever posted that originally (and then deleted it, I assume) is obviously mistaken about who Rob Hordijk is. It was probably a simple mistake and the original poster really ought to step up and set the record straight. Rob has never worked for Moog (he lives in The Netherlands) and he is a GREAT guy to deal with. I have known him for about ten years now and have only good things to say about him personally and professionally, and all of the comments I have read from Rob's other customers agree.

And BTW, his Dual Phaser module is fricken amazing. Here's a link to a thread with tons of info and audio examples (and posts from lots of satisfied customers, including me):

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-module-3.html
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Maniac

Ditto on that. I ordered one of these phasers from Rob a while back, and I found him very honest, forthright, and professional.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search