The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Fantom X8- alternative? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

Roland Fantom X8- alternative?

Hello,

im using my fantom X8 primary for piano and rhodes sounds. But nowdays many good vst samplers and vst instruments exist so im thinking about replace fantom with some high quality master keyboard (doepfer?) and vst sampler/instrument.

So question is: is that possible? Can i get same or better quality keyboard mechanic like on x8 is from master keyboard and same or better quality sounds from vst?

Thanks, Martin
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Here is a better question: Why not KEEP the X8 as your master keyboard, and then hook up a keyboard and trigger sounds from it as well as using the sounds on board?

This way you keep the immediacy and ease of use of the X8, while also having the VST's at your disposal. By the time you resell an X8 and by a Doepfer or equivalent quality keybed to what the X8 already has you will break even. Check out my sig and see what I have. I am going to par that down as well because of very good software, but my PC3 and Alesis Fusion are staying for the simple facts they are useful integrated in the studio, and also by just turning them on and jotting down some ideas before getting down and dirty in Logic or whatever DAW you use.

Be careful of falling into the trap of thinking change for change's sake is necessary. Being able to have the versatility with your studio to work ITB, as well as use your workstation as a stand alone is always a good idea.

Now if you wanted to sell your X8 and jump on a Kurzweil PC3 which is an infinitely deeper synth/workstation, and has a wonderful keybed go for that because they are on sale and will soon jump back up in price as the sale is for extra stock they have while developing the PC3K.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

X8 is fine. Just keep it as a master controller and look into VI's. For Rhodes sounds, check out Scarbee's (now under NI).
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinkufner View Post
Hello,

im using my fantom X8 primary for piano and rhodes sounds. But nowdays many good vst samplers and vst instruments exist so im thinking about replace fantom with some high quality master keyboard (doepfer?) and vst sampler/instrument.

So question is: is that possible? Can i get same or better quality keyboard mechanic like on x8 is from master keyboard and same or better quality sounds from vst?

Thanks, Martin
I tend to agree with operaman and The MPCist. The Fantom X series in general also just happens to be a good set of controllers with decent synth action keybeds.

You may find some hot vst's to your liking, but then you may also find yourself contending with finding a new keyboard controller and they are all not "created equal".
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

I have an X8, too. I thought about selling it, personally. But after seriously thinking about it, it was kind of a dumb idea. I agree with the previous posts, it's probably way more worth it to keep it and use it as your master controller. Plus, the X8 has some great Rhodes/Pianos/Wurlis even still!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Agree with everyone above. Keep the Fantom, add things from the plug-in side, and have the best of both worlds.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I happen to really like the piano sounds on the fantom, I had a fantom XR for just that, but found a lot of cool sounds on that board that I have used from time to time.

Having a big fat rompler can be really useful, especially if you like it as a main controller. so, I will echo the group and say hang on to it.

p.s. Scarbee rhodes from NI is the best I've ever heard.

s
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Defo keep the X8! I have one I use it as a midi controller for when i want big weighted keys and i use the Moog for lil synth solos etc cos of the springier action. But yeah the fantoms great just for the fact that you've got a ton of sounds at your fingertips that you would struggle to acquire solely with soft synths. Loads of drum kits for layering, organs, pianos, flutes, strings. Just lots of good sounds that can be useful. It can be very easy to listen to the sounds on the fantom and think theyre kind of unimpressive when compared to the big sounds some vst's are putting out. But just like with the analogue v digital debate. a lil bit of analogue alongside some digital makes the analog shine. You put analog in with all analog and the magic can be lost. Have too many show-piece sounds and the overall effects is lost. But a couple of big fancy sounds from vsts layered in with the simplistic sounds from the fantom and things can shine. Get rid of it and I think youll miss it more than you would think.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

If you happened to disagree or just REALLY wanna get rid of the fantom. I think the Nord Electro 3 is freakin' out of this world. I don't think there are better organs/EPs/APs/clavs out there for the weight, feel, and price. It's worth it just for the organ itself.

I really want one, hahaha. It almost makes me wanna sell my real Mk I Rhodes. I know I think I'm losing it.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Get a Nord electro or stage for sure... I also wouldn't ditch the Fantom it's so versatile and has a pretty nice hardware sequencer in there, nevermind sampling etc. Nord stage will give you some better quality EPs and stuff though but with no sequencer and if you replaced the fantom with it you would lose a huge amount of the sounds the Fantom has.

Or get the SRX-07 expansion ROM for your Fantom to get some more EPs and pianos. I got one recently and it's got a really impressive selection of new patches in that area. Not up to the par of a Nord stage but that would be a cheap and easy way to upgrade your sound set... $250 new, $200 or less on ebay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search