The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI Percussion Controllers - NOT MPC-Style? DAW Software
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

MIDI Percussion Controllers - NOT MPC-Style?

Anybody here know of a decent and affordable hand percussion-style MIDI controller? I'm looking for something that can be played by hand or with sticks for playing and inputting percussion. I'm thinking 4-8 pads, all large enough to be played by hand (i.e., conga/bongo head sized).

Please note that I'm NOT looking for a 4x4 MPC-style controller (I already have a Maschine anyway). I'd also prefer something without a built-in sound module because I mainly want this for triggering hand percussion sounds via Battery 3, StormDrum II, and maybe even my Maschine on occasion.

The DrumKat DK10 is probably the closest thing I can find, but it's more than I need and more expensive than I'd prefer. But, if that's my only option, I'd love to hear people's opinions of it.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

It's amazing that there aren't a LOT more of this type of thing on the market.

The most widely available are probably the Roland Handsonic range.

I formerly owned a Handsonic 10 like this one, and it was absolutely fantastic... but they are bloody expensive & I had zero use for all the bells & whistles of its sound module... all I want is a midi drum pad!
I sold mine to cover the cost of upgrade from Live 7 > Live 8 Suite. Kind of regret that since I actually preferred the warping in 7, and never use any of the Suite instruments!! (Logic is my main DAW).

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

There must be a ripe market of computer musicians that would bite m-audio/korg's hands off for a solid quality drum pad, like a hand sonic, but with no sound module, priced at £100-150.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Roland Handsonic range...but they are bloody expensive & I had zero use for all the bells & whistles of its sound module... all I want is a midi drum pad!
Yeah, I looked at that one as well and, if Roland offered it at a reasonable price w/o all the bells & whistles, it would be near perfect. But, at $700 (!), I'd much rather just buy a DK10 and have the FSR technology and a better constructed unit (from what I've read).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
There must be a ripe market of computer musicians that would bite m-audio/korg's hands off for a solid quality drum pad, like a hand sonic, but with no sound module, priced at £100-150.
Absolutely!
Old 21st December 2010
Roland HPDs are exactly what you are after. I play hand-percussion pretty seriously and I absolutlly love the HPD-15. They aren't cheap, but worth every penny if you ask me. I've seen them in good shape used for undr $500. Makes a great midi percussion controller and it is highly programable (pad by pad!) for velocity and curve which works great with programs like Battery or Kontact. I never use the on-board sounds in the studio, but I did use them live when the stage size didn't allow for my full kit.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXEsq View Post
Roland HPDs are exactly what you are after. I play hand-percussion pretty seriously and I absolutlly love the HPD-15.
Thanks for the recommendation, XXXEsq - it's good to hear suggestions from a percussionist! Just curious, have you ever compared the HPDs to the DrumKat EZ or DK10? The HPDs and DK10 are around the same price new and I'm seeing some older posts around the web where people have sold DK10s for around $400-500 and EZs for well under $400. So, I could probably find one of the secondhand DrumKats for around the same price as I'm seeing the HPDs, but the DKs aren't easy to come by.

Also, do you happen to know how many velocity levels (128?) the HPDs will send? I'm looking at them on the Roland website and I can't find that information anywhere.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

I have the Alesis Control Pad - $160. No built in sounds and uses either USB or MIDI for connection to your computer or drum machine or synth module. I don't think you can beat it at that price. The only thing is the sensitivity might not be great for hand playing. It's fine with sticks though.
Old 21st December 2010
I own a drumkat and it is an ace. Super response which could be tailored to Your feel and style of playing. And everything, I mean EVERYTHING is programmable. WIth the DK10 there is one thing that would potenially piss me off - the lack of LCD screen. Therefore I bought the higher mode. Mind that You have to program everything with the sticks and pad, which also takes some time do adjust to, so the lack od LCD might be quite painfull.
Old 21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Green View Post
I have the Alesis Control Pad - $160. No built in sounds and uses either USB or MIDI for connection to your computer or drum machine or synth module. I don't think you can beat it at that price. The only thing is the sensitivity might not be great for hand playing. It's fine with sticks though.
Someone else suggested that on KVR, but for some reason I thought it had a built-in sound module. I'm actually starting to like the idea of buying that one for now to satisfy my current bout of gearlust, but I am going to wait until I can get to Guitar Center later this week to try it out and compare it to the various Rolands. How is the crosstalk on the Alesis? That's one of my biggest concerns because it obviously defeats the purpose of having a controller if it's going to take me forever to clean up the MIDI data, ya know?!

Ultimately, I think I'm going to just keep watching eBay/craigslist for a DrumKat. The ZenDrums look nice and I considered buying one a few years ago, but they're way out of my price range and I like the idea of the DrumKat better anyway.

@vibralux - thanks for the input! That's some good information to know.

BTW, I probably should have mentioned that I'm not really a drummer or percussionist. I'm primarily a bassist and keyboardist, but I can bang on things OK.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi

I have a hpd 10, and use it quite a bit. I picked it up used from GC (almost new condition) for $350. GC online had some in the used section on their web site for the same price when I picked mine up. I have not used the midi in the unit, just as a stand alone instrument running mostly through Mooger Foogers. The sounds are good, I don't know amazing but good enough for my needs. If I need better I'll break out the real hand drums .

Drumkat are great!! I had one, an Ez and sold it. I'm on the hunt for a new one. Ebay is the place to look. I'd get a 3.0-3.8 you should be able to find one for $200-250. I think the Drumkats are by far the best feeling pads on the market. Also they will upgrade most older units to current top of line. If you get an older unit be prepared to replace the sensor in the unit. Alternative Mode can sell you the part or send it to them and they will do it for you. If I remember it was around a $100 or so. Great company to work with.

I had the Alesis pad with sounds I thought is sucked. it had the worse feeling pad i've ever played with the exception of the early Simmons sdsV pads.

Also check out a used spd-s the feel is good ( not drumkat good but good) and it also samples.

Good luck
BRJB
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

FYI

Zendrum do a new cheaper controller called a Zendrum Zap .. not sure how much cheaper though and maybe not your first choice anyway .. just saying!
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
Someone else suggested that on KVR, but for some reason I thought it had a built-in sound module.
The Performance Pad is the one with the sound module built in (it's all black). The Control Pad is just a controller (it's silver/gray). They look a lot a like except for the trim color, and the PP has another keypad to set up the sounds.

PerfPad
Alesis Performance Pad E-Drumpad at zZounds
ControlPad
Alesis Control Pad, USB/MIDI Drum Controller at zZounds

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search