The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A question of Din-sync & Midi? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

A question of Din-sync & Midi?

A stupid little question if I may. (I'm not familiar with din-sync)

Linking 3 drum machines together via din-sync and midi. Is it possible?

TR-606 --- (Din-synced too) --- TR-707 --- (Midied too) --- DDD-1

Is this gonnna work?

The 606 is not mine btw, but am borrowing it for a while after xmas.

Can they all keep in time?
Old 21st December 2010
Boy
Gear Maniac

Yeah, that will work.

If the 606 isn't yours, is it safe to assume the other two are yours? If so, could you try this yourself without the TR-606?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac
Actually, from memory the 707 can't do din-sync and midi at the same time - it is one or the other.

I could be getting my wires crossed - it's happened once before with a similar question - but pretty sure you can't.

Novation Drumstation can - if you have one lying around.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

wish i could be more help but i'll take a shot in the dark and hopefully not look foolish

i just know of a company that makes stuff for syncing **** up

you probably don't want to purchase hardware but you may not even know of it's existence

lots of stuff, maybe something does what you're wanting

Innerclock Systems - Precision Midi Clock Din Sync and Tempo Synchronisation Solutions
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
Yeah, that will work.

If the 606 isn't yours, is it safe to assume the other two are yours? If so, could you try this yourself without the TR-606?
Yeah, the 707 & DDD work together via midi obviousley, but adding the 606 is the main possible headache.

From what i've ascertained, the 606 has din-sync out (opposite to TB-303's din-sync in) and the 707 has the option to change from in/out. Whether this can work whilst its midi connection is chugging away is what I can't seem to find any info on.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
Actually, from memory the 707 can't do din-sync and midi at the same time - it is one or the other.
I think it will send MIDI out when synced to DIN, just not the other way around.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
A question of Din-sync & Midi?

The 606 has a switch for both Din Sinc in and out.
Old 21st December 2010
TOP TIP!!!!!

"""the 606 has din-sync out (opposite to TB-303's din-sync in)""

The TB303 will send din sync out if u pull out the din sync lead a little,,,
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

you have to sync the 707 to the 606's DIN signal. then sync the DDD to the 707's MIDI clock.

:::

i never liked the 707/727 as a DIN/MIDI box. if you are looking to add DIN boxes to a MIDI setup, the Korg KMS-30 is worth finding. i have tried many different boxes and the KMS-30 has been the best.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
you have to sync the 707 to the 606's DIN signal. then sync the DDD to the 707's MIDI clock.

:::

i never liked the 707/727 as a DIN/MIDI box. if you are looking to add DIN boxes to a MIDI setup, the Korg KMS-30 is worth finding. i have tried many different boxes and the KMS-30 has been the best.
Yeah, those KMS-30 boxes go for silly money, and thats when they turn up once in a blue moon. heh Thanks for the info though.

I'm wondering what synths I have (see sig below) that can be driven from the 606's 2 trigger outputs. I believe the hi and low tom set them off. Possibly the Korg Sigma?

I like the way the 606 can be used as an additional basic 2-track sequencer on top of the rhythm output.

Very cool little drum machine.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

Very cool little drum machine.
Couldn't agree more! Love that little box. Best of all, it works on batteries! Sometimes I'll just sit and jam on the 606 with headphones while lying in the bed. heh

I use a Roland MSQ-100 digital sequencer for most of my DIN/MIDI sync duties. Very useful (and inexpensive) piece of kit!
Old 24th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Couldn't agree more! Love that little box. Best of all, it works on batteries! Sometimes I'll just sit and jam on the 606 with headphones while lying in the bed. heh

I use a Roland MSQ-100 digital sequencer for most of my DIN/MIDI sync duties. Very useful (and inexpensive) piece of kit!
Hi I just got a MSQ 100 to use with my 606 but I am having problems with syncing it ... are you able to tell me the settings you use on both the MSQ and 606 ?

if you can help it would be highly appreciated
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

You need to program a blank one bar pattern into the MSQ for it to work properly.
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

I have done that now but is is still not working - this works fine when I am only using the MSQ as master then I am able to sync them

as soon as I switch the clock over to midi this stops working, like it does not receive the clock via midi

using Logic pro as master
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

figured it out

Logic was not sending out MIDI clock .. problem fixed

thank you for your help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search