The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using Vengeance Synth Samples Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Using Vengeance Synth Samples

Slutties, any advice on using the vengeance synth samples in FL Studio? The samples are usually too short. I've been using kontakt 4 and stretching the samples to fit the part but not completely satisfied. It occurred to me that there is a function in Ableton that loops the sample to make it fit. Anything comparable in FL that I'm missing?

Thanks!

fire away with the "sh*t talking"
Old 20th December 2010
1)forget vengance get yourself a better set of samples.

2) if youre using Kontakt4 and you need to use the vengance sounds you have, why not loop using kontakt?. it has pretty intuitive and extensive loop functions. should be able to seamlessly extend most sounds if you loop well.
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

ahh thanks- playing with the loop feature now. very new to Kontakt. Any suggestion for better samples? (been producing calvin harris, russ chimes, starsmith ish stuff) Not a huge budget :(
Old 20th December 2010
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wav tech tools 01 is amazing sounding. Honestly, I really don't like the vengance stuff at all.

One piece of advice is to loop the sample and crossfade the loop point, maybe using reversing playback mode. This doesn't always give consistent results depending on the movement in the sound however.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek111 View Post
Any suggestion for better samples?
Possibly better off to work with your own synths, but probably the best I've heard in this respect are the Goldbaby synth samples- fatso & juno.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

I think the Vengeance synth samples are actually the weakest part of what's on the discs - well, on VEH1 and VEC1.

I'd look into getting a somewhat capable plugin, or use FL's own built-in offerings. Learn synthesis, and you'll have a lot more possibilities than grainy and stretched samples. Right tool for the right job.
Old 21st December 2010
Here for the gear

totally. I've been using plugins for years, including FL's built in offerings. Sometimes I prefer pre processed samples, less work for me and usually sounds better, at least for what I'm doing.

I use the goldbaby samples quite often, specifically the MS-20 set.

Going to check out the wave alchemy samples immediately. I heard an FX collection by them that sounded sweet too.

thanks for the advice
Old 21st December 2010
Vengeance are fine, just overused so everyone here hates them, me too. But they still get used everyday in countless hits.... just saying.

Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

TBO for synths sounds... and most sampling really... why rely on samples other people have lifted from records?

You'll get more unique and interesting sounds by doing that, and the sounds will better reflect your tastes.

To me it's a great joy to sample my favourite old records. Especially the weird ones.

Edit: New order lifted loads of synth sounds straight from kraftwerk.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Synth Samples?

Use a capable sample and set a sustain loop point of of one cycle. With neat edits you can get the sustain you want out of pads and basic leads without losing the sustain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Learn synthesis, and you'll have a lot more possibilities than grainy and stretched samples. Right tool for the right job.
What if thats what you want? I don't have a problem what so ever using sampled synths.

I've bought some Fairlight samples, and if you know what your doing, you can get very usable sounds out of it. Sampling (as in with a Sampler) is as much of an art as synthesis.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with sampling synths what so ever, loops maybe, but not single shot synths.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
What if thats what you want? I don't have a problem what so ever using sampled synths.
Me neither, but the ones on the Vengeance CDs (at least the ones I have) are single chords and notes from the Virus from a pretty limited range, and not exactly dry - plus any of those sounds can be found in a VA, with more or less tweaking.

When you want to use Kontakt's Time Machine to retain the length you're not exactly improving things - well, again, not really in a charming way.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Me neither, but the ones on the Vengeance CDs (at least the ones I have) are single chords and notes from the Virus from a pretty limited range, and not exactly dry - plus any of those sounds can be found in a VA, with more or less tweaking.

When you want to use Kontakt's Time Machine to retain the length you're not exactly improving things - well, again, not really in a charming way.
Vengeance as a company, I find, are very similar to DJ Charts. There full of obvious choices and broadbrush musical tidbits, but when it really comes down to it, more often than not, it lacks something small, but original.

I find them perfectly fine for my stuff (non commercial hobby stuff) but then at the end of the day, a carpenter cannot blame another carpenter's for their tools.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search