The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog SP VS Moog LP VS Nord Lead 2x Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Moog SP VS Moog LP VS Nord Lead 2x

Hey Everybody,
My sluttiness has returned and I want to tryout a new synth.

My 3 choices are a Nord Rack 2x,Moog Slim phatty and Moog Little phatty.

I am also considering a Nord Wave,but is much more expensive tho. I am open to other synths also.

I had a Nord rack 2x not to long ago and it was the first and only synth that I have ever liked and loved so far. The preset sounds werent the best but man was the interface so easy to use and make and tweak the sounds. I have always been lost when it came to hardware synths but I really felt at home with the nord rack 2x. It really has its own character and sounds great in a mix even without effects.

I have never used or played with any moog before so I really need your opinions and thoughts on the Moog SP and LP for a beginner.
They are both around the same price.

Everytime I hear moogs I hear the same Damn old progressive rocks Noises and solo leads. I am definitely not looking for a noise maker or bass machine. I am mainly going to use my new synth for Pop and Dance tracks.

I want something with a nice full cutting edge sound,fun,not to hard to use and has alot of presets with space to store more. I want cool pads,synths,thick and full synth basses and leads.I also want something where I can make any sound I want to without getting a headache.

Sorry if I am asking to much.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Pad sounds aren't going to work for monophonic synths unless you feel like multitracking.

Go with your trusted choice first - the Nord - then, when you've saved up enough again, check out the SP.
Old 20th December 2010
get a Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddash View Post
Hey Everybody,
My sluttiness has returned and I want to tryout a new synth.

My 3 choices are a Nord Rack 2x,Moog Slim phatty and Moog Little phatty.

I am also considering a Nord Wave,but is much more expensive tho. I am open to other synths also.

I had a Nord rack 2x not to long ago and it was the first and only synth that I have ever liked and loved so far. The preset sounds werent the best but man was the interface so easy to use and make and tweak the sounds. I have always been lost when it came to hardware synths but I really felt at home with the nord rack 2x. It really has its own character and sounds great in a mix even without effects.

I have never used or played with any moog before so I really need your opinions and thoughts on the Moog SP and LP for a beginner.

Everytime I hear moogs I hear the same Damn old progressive rocks Noises and solo leads. I am definitely not looking for a noise maker or bass machine. I am mainly going to use my new synth for Pop and Dance tracks.

I want something with a nice full cutting edge sound,fun,not to hard to use and has alot of presets with space to store more. I want cool pads,synths,thick and full synth basses and leads.I also want something where I can make any sound I want to without getting a headache.

Sorry if I am asking to much.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...I am open to other synths also.
MODULAR
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

They are the same synth. One has a keyboard and the other hasnt. Maybe theres a difference in CV connections as well but soundwise they are the same.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok thanks yoozer,jorg and hmm

@kosmasepsilon I have a virus and I dont think I will buy 1 again. I liked the nord much better than my access virus b.

What do you guys think of the nord wave,nord lead 3 and nord electro,?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
I never heard of the Nord Wave so I looked it up to try to check it out and this site was the 3rd link down...

http://nordwave.net/

Now I know we're not supposed to be talking politics on this board...tutt So if you get it great, and if not you should read more. Seriously though seeing this site and thinking about how nord boards always have red shells gave me some serious lulz....
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had a Nord rack 2x not to long ago and it was the first and only synth that I have ever liked and loved so far. The preset sounds werent the best but man was the interface so easy to use and make and tweak the sounds. I have always been lost when it came to hardware synths but I really felt at home with the nord rack 2x.
I think this should answer your question.

However, there are certainly a number of people using the Moog Phatty for non-prog-rock purposes.

For example listen to MGMT's "kids" (or anything MGMT, all the synths are LP)

for dirty electro banger usage of LP, check Circuit Freq:
http://www.iamarobot3000.com/blogaud...al.Mix.320.mp3

http://feralpartykids.com/audio/Circ...A%20Remix).mp3

lots of other examples out there, these are the first that came to mind. I've done a bunch of demos but don't want to spam links to my own stuff.

BTW, that nordwave sight is pretty wack...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll gladly spam for the LP/SP, here's a couple remixes I did using them as the primary synth on the tracks:

glitchy-ish dubstep (skip to 0:58 or so for LP bassline):

dark drum n' bass (skip to 1:08 or so for some serious LP phatness):

I've used a lot of vintage synths but ultimately the LP (now SP) has been the easiest to integrate into my studio and sounds fantastic on a variety of applications. I highly suggest it.

The rest for stings and hpf/bpf sounds on these remixes are a Tetra and SEM, respectively.

Nord Leads are great and all but you aren't going to use them to make Moog bass lines/leads very effectively. I would make my decision for your scenario and options based on whether you need polyphony and a multimode filter or not.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like you'd be happy with any of these synths, really. Do you need polyphony? If you're doing synth pop, you very well may, which should make the Nord a good choice. I've owned the 2X, NL3, and currently own a G2. I've loved them all, and I think the sound engine of the 2 (and Nord Modular 1) are my personal favorite. But the NL3 has the world's best interface...

Other Polysynths:

If you don't need MIDI and are willing to go retro, you can pick up a Juno 60 which is great for the sort of music you describe. Combine it with a nice delay and watch out!

Also worth investigating is the DSI Tetra, which may or may not be the kind of thing that appeals to you. Lots of power, small footprint on your desktop. Edit it with your computer, or learn to love the knobs.

None of these synths we've mentioned come with effects, so you should be aware of this. Pads sound way bigger when you run them through a nice reverb or delay.

As far as other monosynths go, I don't know that there are many on the market that meet your requirements, especially with regard to preset storage. Perhaps the Mopho, but I'd take a Phatty over a Mopho any day. (Sorry Dave). Maybe check out the Studio Electronics ATC-X.

Personally, I'd opt for a LP with the CV I/O Mods and use the pants off of it. After you master programming that instrument, expand it with a row of Eurorack modules. Throw in a weird oscillator and some new filters and your Moog will take on entirely new dimensions. Speaking of voltage control, the Moogerfooger Phaser is nice to have in the toolbox for retro sounds, but I digress...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Slim Phatty is the same basic synth as the LP, but I'm told that it's presets are different and are geared towards EDM and pop. This came from a Moog employee I talked to recently at Moogfest.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Have you looked at newer Virus models? The B is classic, but ancient history.

More directly, are you primarily looking for a synth to program your own patches, or to surf existing presets?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys thanks for the ideas so far.

Yea Im just looking for something new.

I have always been just a preset user until I got the nord rack 2x. I mean it was just so easy to use. The presets werent so great and sounded a little dated but it was still great. That is the most fun that I have had with a synth.

I bought an access virus b and it wasnt any fun,the sounds all sound the same and it just sounded boring to me. I guess you have to like that virus sound.

Pads are my favorite sounds,so im guessing that polyphony is important. However that is not a deal breaker,but I dont want something that is just going to create basses and noise. I am still new to synthesis so what do I know lol.

I am checking out the demos and links you guys posted now.

I really appreciate it.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Well I completely disagree with your assessment of the Virus, but I'm not going to start preaching the Gospel of Access here.

I would suggest making a list of what your synth 'must haves'. Things like:
How many OSCs
Types of OSCs
Types of Filters
Modulation Options
Onboard FX
Input/Output options
Control Schemes (via Midi, USB, CV)

Having clear answers to these questions will certainly help narrow down your options, and avoid letting gear lust overpower better judgement.

Hope that helps.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

^^^^
You have to remember that it was my assessment and that I still own it,but I get you.

@innervoice-Man I have no idea what any of that means lol except the control schemes.

Those demos were really cool,but I dont want to pay $800 just to make bass sounds.

I will say that I am very ignorant about hardware synths so please bare with me. I am doing research on each synth right now. Also my gearlust has slowly taken over 47% of my brain.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those demos were really cool,but I dont want to pay $800 just to make bass sounds.
I maybe doing just that. The SP sitting in the rack doing bass duties...is there a better option?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

@ddash

No worries, we all have to learn somewhere

I don't think you need to be heavily versed with synthesis, but getting a strong understanding of your basic oscillator types, filters, envelopes, and modulation parameters will really help you with your purchases. A solid foundation will make it 100x easier to pick out and replicate other people's sounds, and also help you identify where your current setup might be lacking..

The Synth Secrets series is a pretty exceptional series for learning IMHO (Synth Secrets: Links to All Parts). I'd suggest grabbing a simple VST (Synth1 should be fine and can be downloaded free).

Again, hope that helps.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks innervoice. I will check it out now.

@innervoice- I originally was looking to get an access virus TI,but didnt want to spend over $1000 on a synth. I am a preset surfer without a doubt,but I would love to make my own sounds from scratch or to start from a preset.So it is going to be a mixture of both,50/50.

I would also love to have a hardware synth that could layer sounds.

@dysandel-I suppose you could be right. It seems to do it very well.

I have a ton of vsts,but I want something hand ons. It is just so much funner.
This my set up

Mac Pro
Logic 9
Omnispere
EWQL composer's bundle
Sylenth
Kontakt 4
Trilian
Stylus RMX
Nexus
Analog factory

and a few more....
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have eliminated the tetra and mopho as options btw.

What do you guys think of the Arturia Origin desktop?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

In case you've still got the Virus B around, there's an exceptional programming tutorial you can grab off Access' website which details how to program a ton of classic patches.
http://virus.info/api/download/dlid/...20in%20English

Now that's enough Virus talk

If you want something cheap that is easy to program, there's always the Novation K-Station which pops up on Craigslist a lot, though there isn't too much 'cutting edge' about it.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks again innervoice.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have eliminated the tetra and mopho as options btw.

What do you guys think of the Arturia Origin desktop?
Isn't the Origin well outside your price range?

You could probably pick up a second-hand Prophet 08 rack. That would give you a lot of nice polysounds. That's a much more appealing option (to me, anyway) than the Tetra and Mopho.

The Roland JP8080 and Novation Supernova 2 are also good VA polysynth workhorses for pop music.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

@BTbyrd thanks for the comment.

Yes the origin and the Nord Wave are out of my price range. However I can buy anything if I wanted to. I am just very cheap tho.

I will take a look at those synths now.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I just checked out the Prophet 08 and I think I am in love lol. I want the rack/desktop version tho.

Its seems perfect for what I want. I am still looking at more things about it tho.

It is alot more than I want to spend tho.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
BTW, that nordwave sight is pretty wack...
Yeah, it's still funny though. If someone got ticked off it could cause a legal mess between Clavia and this other organization. If they do nothing about it, they could also lose potential customers that would go to that site looking for nord waves. :P

I LOL'ed hard when it was the third link down, I wonder if Clavia even knows?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the 3 options are Prophet 08 rack,Nord Rack 2,Moog slim phatty in that order now.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks again innervoice.
Np. I just hope to see you get your perfect synth

Maybe look into the DSI Tetra again if you like the Prophet 08. That device is essentially an 08 with less voices and knobs, plus cheaper.

And since this is Gearslutz, it would be wrong for me to let you consider a Prophet 08 before seeing the Andromeda A6
Old 21st December 2010
i tried NL2/3, Moogs and DSI.
My answer is short - DSI TETRA or DSI PROPHET.
Killer polyphonic analogs.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks andivax

Yea the prophet 08 sounds great from what I hear so far.

It seems to receive alot of hate on here tho.

Why is that?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

DCOs instead of VCOs, no multimode filter, "weak" 2-pole lowpass, software envelopes, initial choice for encoders instead of knobs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search