The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing techno, house, etc? Studio Headphones
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

what are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing techno, house, etc?

I produce techno, tech house, deep house, and a bit of progressive house. I have a well treated room and use event opals as my monitors. Unfortunately, i cannot be in my studio all the time and so I want a nice pair of headphones that I can mix on accurately. Also, it would be nice to have them to check any mixes on, period. I would consider closed or open back although I understand open are generally more accurate. I currently have a pair of sony 7506's that I find to be completely unsuitable as they are very bright and I find the bass to fall apart, etc. I also have a pair of dt770 pro's and I find them to be incredibly dark and quite bass heavy. I just want a pair of accurate, tight, clear cans that translate well. After doing some research the options seem to be:

-akg k701
-ultrasone pro750
-sennheiser hd600
-sennheiser hd650

As well as perhaps...

-dt880?
-grado 325?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, the most I want to spend is about 400 bucks.

Thanks!!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh also I don't have a separate headphone amp. I use my apogee ensemble.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

i use BD dt770 pro
and they are perfect
You hear every litle thing heh
Old 20th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

+1

amazing phones... for tech minimal experimental crystal clear detail and fantastic low end.

just take it easy on them.. no djing or live environment pushing them etc... they do blow fast.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
I dunno... mixing and headphones don't really do together IMO.

especially for boom boom music. You think that everything is clipping when it really isn't.. and tame things down too much.. and yes I'm projecting here.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

To the op. You are describing exactly what i am going through. I just sold my 7506's for the same reason. I too find the dt 770's dark and bassy. I ended up buying the senn 650's and they have great bass response, but as for the highs, i can't help but think they are dark and and consequently undetailed. I hear the 600's are a bit brighter, but unfortunatly lack the bass that the 650's provide. I'm waivering about wether i should try and sell the 650's or not. My next option is the grado 325's. I have heard them, and they are extremely detailed in the high end, some may say a bit bright, but not harsh. The bass on them is very accurate, but not overdone like the 770's. You really gotta try them to understand their sound. Akg's i find very bass light, but some say that's a good thing, personnaly i don't like them. The ultrasones i really don't like for my personnal reasons. Keep us posted what you end up getting.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't get it.. I've seen a lot of people say they love the 770pro's but they sound so dark to me.. I mean literally like they have a lowpass filter on them. Is it possible they are somehow a terrible match with my apogee?

Anyone use the k701? Patrice Baumel was telling me he uses them and loves them and I love his mixes so that counts as a lot. Unfortunately I have nowhere to try them for myself. Also curious about the other pairs I mentioned...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
To the op. You are describing exactly what i am going through. I just sold my 7506's for the same reason. I too find the dt 770's dark and bassy. I ended up buying the senn 650's and they have great bass response, but as for the highs, i can't help but think they are dark and and consequently undetailed. I hear the 600's are a bit brighter, but unfortunatly lack the bass that the 650's provide. I'm waivering about wether i should try and sell the 650's or not. My next option is the grado 325's. I have heard them, and they are extremely detailed in the high end, some may say a bit bright, but not harsh. The bass on them is very accurate, but not overdone like the 770's. You really gotta try them to understand their sound. Akg's i find very bass light, but some say that's a good thing, personnaly i don't like them. The ultrasones i really don't like for my personnal reasons. Keep us posted what you end up getting.
I'm glad someone feels the same way as me! And I'm surprised to hear about the 650's.. I figured it would be the exact opposite situation. Either way, I would take accurate bass over highs any day, but still.. Are there no phones that have both? Did you try the akg k701's? For some reason I feel like I will end up with them or the 650's. I wish so bad I could hear them before buying them!!! I've also read a lot of people love the ultrasone 750's but its a love hate thing. What didn't you like about them?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
My Sennheiser HD280's have held up far longer than my old 7506's ever did. but for studio use I only use them for basic stereo imaging.

Once again tho.. .DJing isn't "mixing". DJ headphones tend to sound too brash/harsh for mixing. Back when I used to DJ.. I mixed to the hi-hats not the kicks... hence why this harshness was a good thing.

Curious about the 770 pro's. sounds like it corrects this issue.
Old 20th December 2010
I switched from Ultrasone proline 750's to the DT880 pros.

The Ultrasone cans sound great and the in built pro logic thing really works - but I found them to be quite heavy and the sound too dependent on where the drivers are positioned relative to your ear.

I really like the 880s. Nice bass response, great detail and sound fairly flat to me. I found the Ultrasones to have a bit of a hi fi/hyped sound.

I would highly recommend you try before you buy as plenty of people rave about both models.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't think the apogee has anything to do with the fact the dt 770's sound dark. I have an apogee duet, and honestly i think it is a "bright" interface. I helps with the highs in my opinion. I really can't comment on the ultrasones because i demoed them real fast, fast because as soon as i tried them i wanted them off my head!! For me, they just didn't sound good. That's all i remember, and i demoed many pairs that day. The store clerk agreed he didn't like them either. Some love them however so....... The akg 701's, i have heard, and there is amazing high end detail, but i recall them being really bass light and that bothered me. I am however gonna go give them another try and really listen to them with varied material. Yes the dt 770's sound low passed, i don't care what anyone says. I really gave them a good go. As for the senn 650's, like i said, great bass but kinda dark and veiled. For example, hi hats are lost in the backgound, they don't stand out. The crackle of a layered clap isn't there( i love layered claps!!), reverb tails ain;t great either too. Honestly, i'm prob not used to them coming from the harsh 7506's, but i'm having a really hard time enjoying producing on these cans. I produce prog house if it means anything. Dt 880's i've not heard, but i hear they have nice highs.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
I don't get it.. I've seen a lot of people say they love the 770pro's but they sound so dark to me.. I mean literally like they have a lowpass filter on them. Is it possible they are somehow a terrible match with my apogee?

Anyone use the k701? Patrice Baumel was telling me he uses them and loves them and I love his mixes so that counts as a lot. Unfortunately I have nowhere to try them for myself. Also curious about the other pairs I mentioned...

You know Patrice Beaumel??!! That's awesome lol..
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think the apogee has anything to do with the fact the dt 770's sound dark. I have an apogee duet, and honestly i think it is a "bright" interface. I helps with the highs in my opinion. I really can't comment on the ultrasones because i demoed them real fast, fast because as soon as i tried them i wanted them off my head!! For me, they just didn't sound good. That's all i remember, and i demoed many pairs that day. The store clerk agreed he didn't like them either. Some love them however so....... The akg 701's, i have heard, and there is amazing high end detail, but i recall them being really bass light and that bothered me. I am however gonna go give them another try and really listen to them with varied material. Yes the dt 770's sound low passed, i don't care what anyone says. I really gave them a good go. As for the senn 650's, like i said, great bass but kinda dark and veiled. For example, hi hats are lost in the backgound, they don't stand out. The crackle of a layered clap isn't there( i love layered claps!!), reverb tails ain;t great either too. Honestly, i'm prob not used to them coming from the harsh 7506's, but i'm having a really hard time enjoying producing on these cans. I produce prog house if it means anything. Dt 880's i've not heard, but i hear they have nice highs.
Man that's really disappointing to hear about the 650's! And about the akg's too.. If we could only compare them into one phone. I love layered claps too, dude.

Oh by the way I definitely do not know patrice baumel personally! I just hit him up on facebook and he told me he uses the k701's extensively and really likes them
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man that's really disappointing to hear about the 650's! And about the akg's too.. If we could only compare them into one phone. I love layered claps too, dude.

Oh by the way I definitely do not know patrice baumel personally! I just hit him up on facebook and he told me he uses the k701's extensively and really likes them
lol, that's really cool you know him. I love his music.I too think he has nice mixes, i'm gonna really go take a listen to those akg's once again. As for the senn's, i'm gonna give them a good week and see if they grow on me, if not i will probably try and sell them. Send me a msg and let me know what you end up getting, i'd be curious.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

By the way the 701's are notorious for needing a LOT of burn in time before they sound to their potential. And perhaps the 650's could benefit from that too, so don't give up on them yet. I'm gonna try to find somewhere to audition these cans but if I can't, and if someone on here doesn't provide some super inspirational post... I'm gonna just go with the k701's. Both them and the 650's are amazing phones overall and as long as you learn them I'm sure it will be fine. We shall see...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol, that's really cool you know him. I love his music.I too think he has nice mixes, i'm gonna really go take a listen to those akg's once again. As for the senn's, i'm gonna give them a good week and see if they grow on me, if not i will probably try and sell them. Send me a msg and let me know what you end up getting, i'd be curious.
Again, I do NOT know him personally, just talked to him once.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well the senn's i bought were used and have about 100 hours on them so i'm not sure they'll change much more. In any case, i think it would be wise to try and get to know them before impulsively selling them. I'll let you know how it goes. Seriously though, keep me advised on how you like/dislike the akg's if you end up buying them. i'd be curious.

btw, the audio technica's ath m50's are worth a listen, but the sub bass on them is a little overboard imo. Good luck dude.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've been using my 7506s for a few years now. No trouble with them at all. I don't find them harsh. I've not had any complaints about my mixes, so they do right by me =o]
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
That said... anything is good when you know it through and through.... it's finding the shoe that fits that's tricky...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is there anyone who produces prog house/electro/techno who has made some really good commercial tunes using strictly headphones?? If so, which headphones? And would you care to reveal some songs you made using the said headphones. It would be nice to see what results can come from different cans.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
commerical eh? nope...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
commerical eh? nope...

Well, i guess it doesn't have to be commercial, but of some good caliber at least. I just need someone to bash my belief that a good mix can't be had using only headphones!! i'm not in a position to use monitors that's why.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Eric Prydz claims he writes most of his tunes using his headphones on planes and such although I find it hard to believe. Not that his mixes are so incredible but he creates super fat sounds that require so much compression and stacking that I feel like you really need speakers to hear what's going on. I've heard other big names say the same thing although I forget who. And none of these guys mentioned what model.

I think that, as I said before, a headphone as quality as the akg k701 or sennheiser hd650 is definitely good enough for anyone. In fact... Way more than good enough! I just like doing as much research as possible before I buy anything.. And yes.. Really learning whatever you have is the key.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
writing and mixing are two totally different things.. I totally believe.. I have a hunch most of the best tunes ever are written on the toilet.

good thread tho.. I ditched headphones for mixing years ago.. but I'd love to go back..
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
writing and mixing are two totally different things.. I totally believe.. I have a hunch most of the best tunes ever are written on the toilet.

good thread tho.. I ditched headphones for mixing years ago.. but I'd love to go back..
I meant writing and mixing. I remember reading that.
Old 20th December 2010
Lux
Gear Maniac

thetalkinghead:
I use the Opals, and I also have the AKG 702, wich i think is compareble to the 701 (not 100% sure, have not heard 701)
The 702 is very, very nice, and I find them sounding close to the Opals. One thing,
it seems like they need fairly many hours to break in, and get rid of a slight feeling of beeing thin sounding, or perhaps should I say a bit hard in the middle.
BUt now they are wonderful, flat respons, deep bass and big soundstage. More "speakerfeeling" than I am used to get from headphones.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

If anyone is familiar with jaytech (amazing prog house producer with some top notch tracks on Beatport), he admited in an interview this....

"Your productions are so punchy, yet spacious. A tough trick to pull off… What’s your studio rig?
I have a relatively simple setup really - a MacBook and my Sennheiser headphones.
I have two MIDI controllers, an Akai MPD and an Edirol keyboard, which I use for live stuff and the occasional mix.
I have a pair of studio monitors which I occasionally use for reference, but basically I try to keep my setup portable so I can continue to write music while I travel.
Once I’m more settled in the UK I intend to get a more established studio space up and running, though!
I have a large library of all sorts of WAV samples—as far as synths go, my music is primarily done with Native Instruments plug-ins as they’re stable and are very useful for creating a variety of great sounds."

I went as far as to find a pic of his studio and saw that the senn's he talks about are the sennheiser HD25-II's. Thought it was interesting because everybody slams the HD-25-II's for producing. Just goes to show!!!

Here is the interview link if anyone is interested

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/...aytech-part-1/
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

i testet a couple headphones and these stand on top the whole time
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
I meant writing and mixing. I remember reading that.
i personally wouldn't use headphones for mixing down a track. i always find my mixes sounding off, with the kick drum too loud and FX too soft, etc., when i play back a recording that was mixed with headphones. but that's just me, and i just have AKG 240m's. the headphones could be my issue, but i don't care, i prefer to mix with my monitors so i can sort of feel the bass and all that.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If anyone is familiar with jaytech (amazing prog house producer with some top notch tracks on Beatport), he admited in an interview this....

"Your productions are so punchy, yet spacious. A tough trick to pull off… What’s your studio rig?
I have a relatively simple setup really - a MacBook and my Sennheiser headphones.
I have two MIDI controllers, an Akai MPD and an Edirol keyboard, which I use for live stuff and the occasional mix.
I have a pair of studio monitors which I occasionally use for reference, but basically I try to keep my setup portable so I can continue to write music while I travel.
Once I’m more settled in the UK I intend to get a more established studio space up and running, though!
I have a large library of all sorts of WAV samples—as far as synths go, my music is primarily done with Native Instruments plug-ins as they’re stable and are very useful for creating a variety of great sounds."

I went as far as to find a pic of his studio and saw that the senn's he talks about are the sennheiser HD25-II's. Thought it was interesting because everybody slams the HD-25-II's for producing. Just goes to show!!!

Here is the interview link if anyone is interested

Producer Spotlight: Jaytech, Part 1 | Beatportal
He makes some cool stuff. I always liked that track pepe's garden from a few years ago. Yeah I don't think we will find anyone successful who is like, "well you know my productions really came together when I upgraded to the hd650's with the dhq35x aftermarket cable".

Nevertheless... I think I'm just gonna go with the 701's. They're cheaper than the 650's and seem to be just as good, if not better, for my needs. Will keep you posted either way
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search