The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing techno, house, etc? Studio Headphones
Old 25th December 2010
  #91
An interesting article on headphone break-in: Headphone Break-In: Facts and Fiction
Old 25th December 2010
  #92
Gear Nut
 

what are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing techno, house, etc?

I get great results with the 880s. Blows away everything in that price range.
Old 25th December 2010
  #93
Lives for gear
 

I get good results using HD 25, better than anything else. Much better than HD 650, those make everything sound nice LOL. DT 880 are too hifi, lacking low mids. K271 are lacking bass, not honest heights.
Old 25th December 2010
  #94
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post
Everyone where? If someone seriously believes in headphone burn in I have some nice Monster Cables I have for sale to them for a low low bargain price.

The only thing likely to burn in after some usage are your ears, and that's courtesy of your brain getting used to their frequency response. After that, if you like them, it's usually difficult to adjust to other headphones, especially more coloured ones (which I would include the HD650 under because of its boosted bass response) since your brain will have to learn to compensate differently.
a bunch of people at headfi.com, many gearslutz, some serious audiophile acquaintances of mine, my sweetwater rep that i've known for a few ears, and his sennheiser rep that i spoke to. actually i let both the 600 and 701 continuously play music for the past 24hrs and i can tell that the sound has changed. not a lot, whatsoever.. but it is definitely distinct. especially the 701's.

apparently the 600's can benefit from a cable upgrade. i am grabbing the $17 cable that comes with the 650's, which i understand is superior. no way i am spending $250 for some cardas or blue dragons or whatever!
Old 25th December 2010
  #95
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
a bunch of people at headfi.com, many gearslutz, some serious audiophile acquaintances of mine, my sweetwater rep that i've known for a few ears
As should be evident, from various topics on this forum, that doesn't always mean too much. Just as many might tell you the difference expensive cables make, especially a few years back before the topic became subject to a lot more skepticism. Since none of it can be backed up with anything scientific in a very conclusive manner it's enough to add some grains of salt because, if it really were a significant effect, it should be very easy to measure those differences consistently and easily using science. As I said, I think it's a lot more to do with your own brain being trained by the headphones and that, even if there were some sort of small difference, the possible variation in one manufactured batch of headphones VS one manufactured at a different time is likely to be much greater than any small theoretical differences after some hours of usage. Just my 2c anyway heh

Quote:
apparently the 600's can benefit from a cable upgrade. i am grabbing the $17 cable that comes with the 650's, which i understand is superior. no way i am spending $250 for some cardas or blue dragons or whatever!
Yep, the 650's cable is a lot better. It won't influence the sound, but it's thicker with bigger end plugs and, from experience, I would say it's a lot more robust and less likely to break than the slimmer version from the HD600's. Plus it comes with the full sized jack plug instead of requiring an adapter like the 600's cable. The final icing on the cake is that it's usually about half the price too. So, definitely, some 650 cables would be the first thing on my list too!

Oh, and Happy Christmas to all!
Old 25th December 2010
  #96
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post
As should be evident, from various topics on this forum, that doesn't always mean too much. Just as many might tell you the difference expensive cables make, especially a few years back before the topic became subject to a lot more skepticism. Since none of it can be backed up with anything scientific in a very conclusive manner it's enough to add some grains of salt because, if it really were a significant effect, it should be very easy to measure those differences consistently and easily using science. As I said, I think it's a lot more to do with your own brain being trained by the headphones and that, even if there were some sort of small difference, the possible variation in one manufactured batch of headphones VS one manufactured at a different time is likely to be much greater than any small theoretical differences after some hours of usage. Just my 2c anyway heh

Yep, the 650's cable is a lot better. It won't influence the sound, but it's thicker with bigger end plugs and, from experience, I would say it's a lot more robust and less likely to break than the slimmer version from the HD600's. Plus it comes with the full sized jack plug instead of requiring an adapter like the 600's cable. The final icing on the cake is that it's usually about half the price too. So, definitely, some 650 cables would be the first thing on my list too!

Oh, and Happy Christmas to all!
I definitely agree with you that people make way too big a deal about something that is ultimately theoretical, hence the "I just burned my headphones in for 2 thousand hours and they went from sounding horrible to amazing!" But I do believe that its real in that it helps to an extent.. And it is a very slight change. There is no way my brain adjusted to the sound because I left music playing the whole time without me listening, and I am telling you, I am 100 percent sure that at least the 701's changed a bit, and for the better.

Merry Christmas!
Old 25th December 2010
  #97
@enecosse re: "As I said, I think it's a lot more to do with your own brain being trained by the headphones and that, even if there were some sort of small difference..."

Out of interest, would you say the same about monitors?
Old 25th December 2010
  #98
Gear Maniac
 
DSPaudio's Avatar
 

Hold on,

You can measure cables scientifically {resistance, capacitance, etc.}.

The factors of electrical transmission will influence the sound. Also parallel cable runs might be subject to high frequency signals bleeding between the ears.

*and*

You can also measure headphones scientifically {frequency response, impulse response, T&S parameters}.

So, measure the phones before and after burn-in. Did they change and by how many decimal points? Is it a significant change?

Don't have the equipment or expertise? Then buy 2 of the same headphone, burn-in one pair and setup an ABX test where the person is blindfolded. Account for the warmth of the phone by switching it to a volunteer when not being worn by the subject..

Can the subject reliably determine the burned in pair under ABX protocol?

With crazy recommendations like 200 hour burn-ins, I think ABX testing might be warranted by some poor fool. But, whatever happened to just using them for 200 hours?


At the end of the day I use the measure of all things,

Hey guys, does DeadmAu5 burn his phones? Will it make me sound like Justin Bieber..?
Old 25th December 2010
  #99
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
..

-Denon AH-D2000

first off, these are some really comfy headphones. i could wear these 24/7 and have no issues.

the first thing i noticed is that they have some serious bass. i suspect it could be a bit difficult mixing due to that. either way.. you better get used to it and understand how mixes would translate. the upper mids seemed a tad scooped. i liked the highs for sure, but they didnt seem that detailed. still pretty nice though. overall, i actually really liked listening to these, although i feel like they might be better for listening to music that for mixing it. ...
The bass is overpowering at first, making the sound kinda 'stuffy'. Already after 10 hours or so that evens out.
But you're right about the upper mids, until I got used to them eg. my vocals were mixed a couple of dB high.
Bass is quite phenomenal though, they really help me in the bass/kick department, I simply trust what I hear, and I hear it clearly.
Old 26th December 2010
  #100
Gear Maniac
 
DSPaudio's Avatar
 

Just to be clear, cables are a non issue in my world as are burn-ins...

While burn-ins may do something, I hope they don't! When I buy a pair of headphones that come with a frequency plot for left and right ears and they are measuring good from the factory I'd prefer not to have them change on me!

Also, when you have to listen to something more than 3 times critically and you're not sure what the difference was or is, then you are doing a test that doesn't need to be done (IMO).
Old 26th December 2010
  #101
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
@enecosse re: "As I said, I think it's a lot more to do with your own brain being trained by the headphones and that, even if there were some sort of small difference..."

Out of interest, would you say the same about monitors?
Sure. I'm not saying some change absolutely couldn't exist, because that obviously depends on many factors. However, if you think about it, which is likely to change more after some hours of listening - The speaker itself or someones perception of it?

When people say they need to learn their monitors, what are they actually doing? They're training their brain to expect certain things. Once they've done that it's easier to translate to a different pair of speakers. They literally won't hear their speakers in quite the same way as they did when they first plugged them in and didn't know them. Their brain has now adjusted to the sonic characteristics. So, have those speakers really burned in, or is it just your brain which has burned in?

There's just too much stuff to show that people aren't always good judges about real changes in sound, and any claims about things like burn in should be treated skeptically in my opinion. It's just funny how many people assume that any changes they hear are always a result of some external factor, rather than contemplating that the change might well be happening inside their brain. That's why argument in this area is always tricky - people really hear something, and many seem to be very uncomfortable contemplating the possibility that their perception of the world can change, even though nothing outside of their heads changed in any way which can be scientifically measured. Of course, there's a whole "audiophile" business built on the back of this sort of stuff.

It also doesn't help that speakers are harder to judge than headphones too, because you have to factor in the room, any surfaces, and your position to them. Move just a few feet and it's easy to form a completely different impression. The difference there is that change should be fairly easy to measure in a scientifically reproducible way.
Old 26th December 2010
  #102
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post
..When I buy a pair of headphones that come with a frequency plot for left and right ears and they are measuring good from the factory I'd prefer not to have them change on me!
..
Hehe, maybe the factory burned them in before doing the frequency plots

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post
..
There's just too much stuff to show that people aren't always good judges about real changes in sound, and any claims about things like burn in should be treated skeptically in my opinion...
Take a brand new pair of headphones and a pair that has played for 100 hours. Do they sound the same? Get your answer right there.
Old 26th December 2010
  #103
@Enencosse - thanks for your reply ...it's not my intention to quibble as there (is currently) no definitive proofs and you haven't said anything disagreeable - more that I'm trying to give all contributing factors their due relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post
Sure. I'm not saying some change absolutely couldn't exist, because that obviously depends on many factors. However, if you think about it, which is likely to change more after some hours of listening - The speaker itself or someones perception of it?
I totally agree with this; certainly a psychological adjustment takes place and certainly some mechanical change takes place (unless the mechanical materials have some form of 'memory' or have been 'pre-run' at the factory).

Quote:
...When people say they need to learn their monitors, what are they actually doing? They're training their brain to expect certain things. Once they've done that it's easier to translate to a different pair of speakers. They literally won't hear their speakers in quite the same way as they did when they first plugged them in and didn't know them. Their brain has now adjusted to the sonic characteristics. So, have those speakers really burned in, or is it just your brain which has burned in?
I suggest it would be a combination of both - the mechanical 'break-in' of the speakers and the psychological adjustment to the difference in sound between the previous benchmark monitor/phones and the new (slightly different) monitor/phones. The question is: to what degree is this measureable?

Quote:
"...There's just too much stuff to show that people aren't always good judges about real changes in sound, and any claims about things like burn in should be treated skeptically in my opinion. It's just funny how many people assume that any changes they hear are always a result of some external factor, rather than contemplating that the change might well be happening inside their brain. That's why argument in this area is always tricky - people really hear something, and many seem to be very uncomfortable contemplating the possibility that their perception of the world can change, even though nothing outside of their heads changed in any way which can be scientifically measured..."
I agree. In this context, human subjects cannot give an objective assessment although anecdotal evidence is an important indicator - the scientific method could be employed (if the resources were available) and repeatability over many tests and subjects could provide the data.

Quote:
...Of course, there's a whole "audiophile" business built on the back of this sort of stuff.
Yeah - plenty of 'Emperor wears...' but I notice that the ABX-style testing on GS is making some inroads here. It is encouraging that this enables a manufacturer-independent form of scientific test.

Quote:
...It also doesn't help that speakers are harder to judge than headphones too, because you have to factor in the room, any surfaces, and your position to them. Move just a few feet and it's easy to form a completely different impression. The difference there is that change should be fairly easy to measure in a scientifically reproducible way.
I guess that's the main reason I wanted to draw a comparison between 'mechanical 'break-in' of monitors and headphones - if monitor manufacturers recommend mechanical break-in it follows that headphones (as similar apparatus) would need a break-in too.
Another perspective is that no mechanical break-in is necessary, rather that manufacturers rely on a mechanical break-in period which coincides with a psychological adjustment. IMO, in most cases, this is unlikely.

That said, it follows that if monitors need a 'break-in' then headphones do too - the only question is regarding the degree to which environmental factors affect psychological impression.
Old 26th December 2010
  #104
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

a little update...

my friend's dad has a pair of HD650's and i borrowed them for the day because i was curious and had never heard them before.

my conclusion is the same as everyone else's.. they have more bass. however, i personally REALLY don't like it. they also seem a bit darker but i can't tell if that's just because of the bass boost. it's so bizzare to me... the 600's should be the more expensive model for sure. the 650's just seem like a mushier version of the 600.

i also spent some more time A/B'ing the 600's and the k701's. the akg's sound thin and overly bright in comparison. i really can't even deal with listening to them anymore...

on a side note, it's funny because one of my best buddies really wanted a new pair of headphones so i just sold him the denon ah-d2000's. he LOVES them. as do i, really.. and i have a another mate who wanted to finally get some nice dj headphones so i sold him the hd-25's. funny how it worked out... don't have that many pairs to return tomorrow!

and as far as the burn in debate... i dont even care. these hd600's sound incredible... i really cannot recommend them enough! sure, they're just a bit dark, but for mixing all you have to do is make sure that nothing sounds too bright! very happy camper over here. hehhehheh
Old 26th December 2010
  #105
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPaudio View Post

Also, when you have to listen to something more than 3 times critically and you're not sure what the difference was or is, then you are doing a test that doesn't need to be done (IMO).
that's a good point.

so, eh... how about a discount on spectrum 2??? looks really awesome
Old 26th December 2010
  #106
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
my friend's dad has a pair of HD650's and i borrowed them for the day because i was curious and had never heard them before.

my conclusion is the same as everyone else's.. they have more bass. however, i personally REALLY don't like it. they also seem a bit darker but i can't tell if that's just because of the bass boost. it's so bizzare to me... the 600's should be the more expensive model for sure. the 650's just seem like a mushier version of the 600.
I agree. Remember that the HiFi / general music listening market is far larger than any market for people involved in scenarios like mixing, so headphone manufacturers must cater to that market first. There the message was clear - many consumers wanted more bass, and the 600's were designed to be a neutral headphone and weren't delivering what many consumers wanted. The 650's were Sennheisers answer to this market demand for pumpin' up the bass.

Mushy (at the low end) is how I would describe them too, however many people seem to love the extra bass. Plus the headband on the 650's is angled to grip the head more tightly, which means the 600's should stay comfortable for longer periods of usage as they don't clamp your head as tightly. But as long as they keep making the 600's, and giving people the choice, everyone's happy

Quote:
as far as the burn in debate... i dont even care. these hd600's sound incredible... i really cannot recommend them enough! sure, they're just a bit dark, but for mixing all you have to do is make sure that nothing sounds too bright!
I would call them more smooth than "dark". Not boosting the high end does have a negative side btw. The lack of harshness means you can probably use the HD600's for a longer period of time before you get any fatigue. That's bad, because that's how tinnitus happens. So remember to take special caution to lower the volume on the HD600's. It's really easy to have a loud listening volume on them and not realize it.
Old 27th December 2010
  #107
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecosse View Post

I would call them more smooth than "dark". Not boosting the high end does have a negative side btw. The lack of harshness means you can probably use the HD600's for a longer period of time before you get any fatigue. That's bad, because that's how tinnitus happens. So remember to take special caution to lower the volume on the HD600's. It's really easy to have a loud listening volume on them and not realize it.
totally agree that they are very smooth. that is what really struck me when i first fired them up... never heard a headphone so smooth!

i appreciate the advice. it has taken a lot of effort to force my brain to adjust to lower volumes. i keep my monitors at around 85db most of the time with occasional short boosts to 95 or 100 for checking purposes. i really don't want to undo this now that i have nice headphones so i will make sure to keep them at a reasonable volume.

by the way i threw on my sony 7506's for the hell of it today and was shocked. i can't believe how bad they sound! hundreds and hundreds of hours over the past 5 years on those things. crazy. they had their place though and i will keep them forever.
Old 27th December 2010
  #108
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

I got my HD650s a couple of months back and quite like them. They are very smooth that's for sure. They sound very similar in voicing to my PMC monitors in that regard. I like the bass response. It's not overly hyped, but it is tight and easy to hear the pitch of all the bass notes/kicks. I think it's more accurate for bass monitoring than my monitors in my room where acoustics have nulls all over the place despite a reasonable amount of room treatment.
Once you listen to enough reference material on them you are ready to go...
Old 31st December 2010
  #109
Here for the gear
 

Hey kids

Just in relation to what someone posted earlier in the thread, I do use my HD25-IIs for the bulk of my production work and it suits me just fine. However, when it comes to bass frequencies I believe there is not an accurate enough representation to finish the job.

I've had mixes in the past which I've pretty much finished in my headphones and then once listening on speakers have had to change the bass instrument entirely, or find a new kick, or adjust the EQs/sidechaining levels on both. The bottom end in HD25s is very "plastic" sounding and doesn't give a good indication of true sub-bass rumble. It can also be hard to tell if your "offending" bass frequencies (often 120-130Hz) are causing problems. If you're aware this limitation, though, it is possible to work around it.

I get best results by starting the track on speakers, then I do the bulk of it in headphones. After that all it takes is an afternoon back on speakers to do the final mixdown. I actually find I can get drum tracks to sit better by working in headphones, providing I've got a good kick drum to begin with. But yeah, for basses you really need both, otherwise when it comes to 60Hzish freqs and below you're flying blind.

Another dodgy tip that is probably bad practice and I shouldn't be spreading: I find I can use my Macbook Pro's built in speakers as a second reference for bass instruments when I'm on the road. If it comes through clearly on those as well as my Sennheisers, then usually it's a sign things are sitting okay in the mix.

Hope that helps!
Old 31st December 2010
  #110
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytechmusic View Post
Hey kids

Just in relation to what someone posted earlier in the thread, I do use my HD25-IIs for the bulk of my production work and it suits me just fine. However, when it comes to bass frequencies I believe there is not an accurate enough representation to finish the job.

I've had mixes in the past which I've pretty much finished in my headphones and then once listening on speakers have had to change the bass instrument entirely, or find a new kick, or adjust the EQs/sidechaining levels on both. The bottom end in HD25s is very "plastic" sounding and doesn't give a good indication of true sub-bass rumble. It can also be hard to tell if your "offending" bass frequencies (often 120-130Hz) are causing problems. If you're aware this limitation, though, it is possible to work around it.

I get best results by starting the track on speakers, then I do the bulk of it in headphones. After that all it takes is an afternoon back on speakers to do the final mixdown. I actually find I can get drum tracks to sit better by working in headphones, providing I've got a good kick drum to begin with. But yeah, for basses you really need both, otherwise when it comes to 60Hzish freqs and below you're flying blind.

Another dodgy tip that is probably bad practice and I shouldn't be spreading: I find I can use my Macbook Pro's built in speakers as a second reference for bass instruments when I'm on the road. If it comes through clearly on those as well as my Sennheisers, then usually it's a sign things are sitting okay in the mix.

Hope that helps!
Thanx James, Nice of you to give us that feedback on using headphones and such. I think you're productions are stellar btw. Off topic, I'm just curious what sequencer you use for your productions. I know you have used Ableton indephtly, but i've also seen you producing on logic in a few you tube videos. And If I may, what did you use for the bassline in "Here we go". It's impressive imo. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 2nd January 2011
  #111
Lives for gear
 

How loud is LOUD....I mean, getting Tinnitus doesn't sound fun and I wear my DT770's alot...80 ohms BTW... I wear them at a comfortable level but never ever blasting my ears.

I've also heard that many headphones at pro levels sound MUCH better with headphone amps. That has not been mentioned... I don't think.... I skimmed over the forums.

The reason you get a headphone that can have alot of bass, is because it's basically headroom in case you need to hear some low frew while playing or mixing. Nothing I play in my headphones is going to match what I hear on my SVS home theater sub anyhow so it's all pretty safe. Most times I'm actually surprised on how much more low end comes out rather than less...although I have tried to take it easy on the bass and end up with no bass at all....strangely that has happened to me with some songs, but not many.

The kicker...is...if you mix into 5.1...a song is going to have so much more loudness and bass it's not even funny. When I was mixing into DTS onto CD, a few songs that I had found were unlike any 2.0 mixes because there's so many more channels to go for sound that it allows literally more headroom since bass is being redirected for bass only....pretty fun stuff too. Best quality I've ever heard was when I mixed my songs into DTS audio. Too bad it's just a huge pain in the ass though. Plus...no one else is going to hear it in 5.1 so I stopped.

Back to heaphones..... no matter what headphones....they have to be confortable to wear or forget it. I had Sony headphones and I couldn't wear them for 5 minutes without ear pain... I was used to my Senn HD280 pros... and I could wear those for 5 hours easy. I get "hot" ear...but they don't hurt. So I switched to the DT770's and they still aren't as good as the senn hd280 pros in comfort but they sound much better. I think I'd like to get some leather ear wraps for them....the velour are running down.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #112
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytechmusic View Post
Hey kids

Just in relation to what someone posted earlier in the thread, I do use my HD25-IIs for the bulk of my production work and it suits me just fine. However, when it comes to bass frequencies I believe there is not an accurate enough representation to finish the job.

I've had mixes in the past which I've pretty much finished in my headphones and then once listening on speakers have had to change the bass instrument entirely, or find a new kick, or adjust the EQs/sidechaining levels on both. The bottom end in HD25s is very "plastic" sounding and doesn't give a good indication of true sub-bass rumble. It can also be hard to tell if your "offending" bass frequencies (often 120-130Hz) are causing problems. If you're aware this limitation, though, it is possible to work around it.

I get best results by starting the track on speakers, then I do the bulk of it in headphones. After that all it takes is an afternoon back on speakers to do the final mixdown. I actually find I can get drum tracks to sit better by working in headphones, providing I've got a good kick drum to begin with. But yeah, for basses you really need both, otherwise when it comes to 60Hzish freqs and below you're flying blind.

Another dodgy tip that is probably bad practice and I shouldn't be spreading: I find I can use my Macbook Pro's built in speakers as a second reference for bass instruments when I'm on the road. If it comes through clearly on those as well as my Sennheisers, then usually it's a sign things are sitting okay in the mix.

Hope that helps!
you're the man, jimbo. check out the hd600's. i bet you would really love them. in fact, next time you're in DC you're more than welcome to come by my studio and check them out for yourself! heh
Old 3rd January 2011
  #113
Lives for gear
 
thetalkinghead's Avatar
 

by the way i much preferred the velour ear pads on the hd25's. they were much more comfortable and i feel like they isolated better
Old 3rd March 2011
  #114
Gear Nut
 

interesting. i used to use dt770s (mainly as closed back phones for recording), but i was in a situation where i HAD to mix on headphones (at night, in a studio in my flat, whilst on a record deal with pressing deadlines...)
i appreciate that dt770's are not really designed for mixing as such, but a lot of people use them for that. i actually wanted some that would stand the kind of bass put out by a Bass Pod too, so i could practice at night

all i can say is that it was a complete waste of time and caused me even more hearing damage (have had tinnitus and hearing damage since my early twenties....am now 39, and can still mix tracks that most people think sound awesome....but it is NOT easy and involves taking LOTS of breaks/ constantly swapping left and right to check balance of high freq sounds due to imbalance of my ears in that range.....)

the dt770s were just TOO easy to listen to and, therefore TOO easy to turn up too loud without realising.

a mate of mine brought round some Grado sr90i's a while back and, while they blew me away in terms of detail and soundstage/ transparency, i was a little wary as i am over sensitive to trebly sounds (another side affect of hearing damage unfortunately..). i did some research and ended up moving up a couple of ranges to the sr225i's after reading a few reviews (apparently the 325i's are a little brighter/ less bassy).

when they arrived i was gutted - although, again, they were amazingly detailed, they seemed very harsh and i wasn't sure if i could really use them for any length of time without ear fatigue (they are also pretty uncomfortable to wear, it has to be said). however, when i started mixing on them a strange phenomenon occurred - i found i didn't have to have them up anywhere NEAR as loud as the dt770's to get energy out of a mix, so in fact they are LESS fatiguing - and probably less damaging in the long run. PLUS, my mixes actually come out sounding the same on speakers as they did on headphones the night before. bizarrely so - all reverbs/ fx balances just sound right, with no odd decisions taken. even the bottom end sounds right. for your reference my monitors are mackie hr824s (mk 1's).....so it's not like i don't like a bit of bass....i know i should have some adam/ focal/ pmc etc etc....but music is now a hobby rather than a profession where somebody else paid for all the gear

i've since compared them to me old dt770's and, my god, what was i thinking. they just sound like dog**** - like someone has taken both the tweeters out and played the resulting sound through a round plastic tub. how i ever thought i could mix on them is beyond me.....

so....it seems that sometimes it's not even the headphones that sound the easiest to listen to initially that are the best suited to the job.

so what you really need is a shop that will lend you 18 pairs of headphones and let you mix the same track over and over on each pair over a few months.......as if
Old 3rd March 2011
  #115
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

Using DT-880 250 ohms here. Love em, pretty flat sounding to me, full mid range, and goes quite deep in a neutral way.
Decent stereo imaging and pretty fast responce.

I don't know why people say they are bright, they sound very sweet to me through my Focusrite Pro 24 DSP. No headphone amp needed here contray to popular belief. The Pro 24 DSP's phone volume knobs is barely past 2/10 and it's already very loud

Had some Dt-250 previously, which sounded a bit compressed dynamicly and had this upper mid sheen to the sound.
Sounded a bit nasally compared to the Dt-880
Old 3rd March 2011
  #116
Lives for gear
 

Although I have praised the DT-770's in the past... I now seem to think they do sound very dark. They lack midrange clarity and highs...they mainly focus on low end...which is ok, but I've actually since gone back to my Senn HD280pros for composing and I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the outcome being much better. They are both, more comfortable and have better overall clarity without sounding harsh. I think it was my mistake that I went for the DT-770's as I could have got the DT-880's or simply another pair of 280 pros....mine are a bit beat up, but the drivers are fine. The rest of the headphones are cracked in places and at the time, I had the money to replace, but I made a poor decision based on headphone envy.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #117
Gear Nut
 

the dt770's also have virtually no soundfield/ depth of field/ imaging. just really flat and uninspiring

i always found them to be very comfortable though....that's one thing with the smaller grados - they are hideously uncomfortable, and are annoying if you wear glasses as they crush them into your ear (unless you tilt your glasses up at a jaunty angle, over the top of the headphone pads)

was even considering buying some of the bigger pads you get with the more expensive grados (called the "g-cushion") and fitting them to my sr225's (apparently it can be done, makes very little difference to the sound, and makes them loads more comfortable)
Old 3rd March 2011
  #118
Here for the gear
 
Rabenmutter's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
yea thats right. i see him using those headphones all the time. anybody ever use the HD25's? im guessing if the hd25's are good enough for prydz then the hd600's could be good enough for me. hehhehheh

by the way i found a place about 45min out of dc where i can test drive the k701 and hd600. gonna go there tomorrow and pick a pair!
I'm between monitors right now and I use HD25s but I will say that i am literally stabbing in the dark trying to mix anything below 100Hz. They really are the perfect DJ headphones and I know them well enough to write stuff and make rough mixes on but for anything other than that, i'd get something else.
Old 3rd March 2011
  #119
Lives for gear
 
Tarkovsky's Avatar
 

Having used/owned the HD600s, Proline 750s and now the DT880 pros... I can say they all suck for mixing and sound design... especially for dance music.

That's because the way the wave behave when popped out of two stereo sources and mixed before returning to your ears is absolutely vital.

However for times when getting the mix right matters less the HD600s and DT880s are great.
Old 5th March 2011
  #120
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

The VRM in my Saffire pro 24 DSP helps with this
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
forsyth / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
17
JCC / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
34
wave alchemy / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
68
intellijel / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8
Beatluxe / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump