The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing techno, house, etc? Studio Headphones
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Beats Audio......just kidding.

Im using Beyerdynamics DT 770. Great headphones for monitoring bass tracks. Be nice once my monitors are capable of monitoring my bass tracks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

so you guys are gonna think i'm crazy but... i was getting really frustrated that there is NOWHERE in the dc metro area to audition all the phones i was considering + i really wanted to hear what the fuss was with each of these phones + i thought i would help my fellow slutz since there are so many threads just like this one without any real conclusions. so here's what i decided to do:

i ordered the following headphones:

-Sennheiser HD600
-Sennheiser HD25
-AKG K701
-Beyerdynamic DT880
-Grado SR325is
-Ultrasone Pro750
-Denon AHD2000

I chose to order these because these are the phones i saw most recommended on threads just like this one. Except for the Grado, but I have never heard a Grado, and I am very curious about it.

So I'm gonna take the time and listen to each one with a wide variety of quality of electronic dance music such as this:

-Martin Buttrich
-Patrice Baumel
-Tomcraft
-Booka Shade
-Plastikman
-Gorge
-Pig & Dan
-Sebastien Leger
-Pryda
-Loco Dice
-16 bit Lolitas
-Gui Boratto
-Deadmau5 (solely for auditioning purposes!)

Then I will write a short description of what I thought about each one. And although it will still be subjective, I will try to be as objective as possible and draw some conclusions. Then, of course, I will return all of the headphones except for my favorite pair. Gotta love return policies! heh Should only cost me about $50 in wasted shipping to run this experiment. See you soon, my friends.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

what are the best 'high end' headphones for mixing techno, house, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead
so you guys are gonna think i'm crazy but... i was getting really frustrated that there is NOWHERE in the dc metro area to audition all the phones i was considering + i really wanted to hear what the fuss was with each of these phones + i thought i would help my fellow slutz since there are so many threads just like this one without any real conclusions. so here's what i decided to do:

-Sennheiser HD600
-Sennheiser HD25
-AKG K701
-Beyerdynamic DT880
-Grado SR325is
-Ultrasone Pro750
-Denon AHD2000

I chose to order these because these are the phones i saw most recommended on threads just like this one. Except for the Grado, but I have never heard a Grado, and I am very curious about it.

So I'm gonna take the time and listen to each one with a wide variety of quality of electronic dance music such as this:

-Martin Buttrich
-Patrice Baumel
-Tomcraft
-Booka Shade
-Plastikman
-Gorge
-Pig & Dan
-Sebastien Leger
-Pryda
-Loco Dice
-16 bit Lolitas
-Gui Boratto

Then I will write a short description of what I thought about each one. And although it will still be subjective, I will try to be as objective as possible and draw some conclusions. Then, of course, I will return all of the headphones except for my favorite pair. Gotta love return policies! heh Should only cost me about $50 in wasted shipping to run this experiment. See you soon, my friends.
You might want to check and make sure that the return policies don't specifically forbid the return of used/opened headphones before you start your experiment. Like microphones, they may be exempt from returns.
I haven't read much of this thread but my advice would be to not mix on headphones... They're good for checking mixes, but I'd never mix on them.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse_divider View Post
You might want to check and make sure that the return policies don't specifically forbid the return of used/opened headphones before you start your experiment. Like microphones, they may be exempt from returns.
I haven't read much of this thread but my advice would be to not mix on headphones... They're good for checking mixes, but I'd never mix on them.
good looking out. the place i ordered them from... which i wont mention here... allows me to return them all as long as all the materials are there, undamaged, and i pay for return shipping.

i agree with you. i want a pair so i can use them as reference for my mixes, as well as for mixing when i am not in my studio. i also want to help find an answer to this question because there are a lot of people out there who's acoustic environment is so horrible that they probably are better off with headphones than even very nice monitors.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post

-Sennheiser HD600
-Sennheiser HD25
-AKG K701
-Beyerdynamic DT880
-Grado SR325is
-Ultrasone Pro750
-Denon AHD2000

-Martin Buttrich
-Patrice Baumel
-Tomcraft
-Booka Shade
-Plastikman
-Gorge
-Pig & Dan
-Sebastien Leger
-Pryda
-Loco Dice
-16 bit Lolitas
-Gui Boratto

lol, i thought i had lost it with choosing headphones!! No judgement dude, that's a great idea if you can't demo them first. The grado's are awesome btw.
Old 22nd December 2010
JES
Lives for gear

I'll be interested in reading your comparisons when you're done. And I think it's a great way to choose.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone using the grado RS1's or G1000's to produce EDM?? I heard the RS1's and i was very impressed.I think I'm gonna end up homeless with a pair of Grado's on my head, they are very expensive!!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I love AKG k240 studio headphones. My mixdowns have gotten more and more consistent since getting them. The replaceable cord is nice also, since I destroyed my last headphones by running over the cord too many times with my chair wheels.
Old 22nd December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Instead of only ordering all those mid-priced headphones you should have ordered the AH-D7000 as well, they're far better than all of them. If you really want "high end" headphones that are perfect for mixing, invest some money if you have it. Anyway, they and the headphones you ordered need weeks of run-in to sound proper at all.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

i love dt770 more then 880s. i think they are a little dark too but at least they dont give pain to ears at high frequencies. i can listen dt770 for hours. i cant listen bright headphones more than an hour. so dt770 is the way for me.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

unfortunately i cannot afford headphones that cost more than about $400, so i chose accordingly. otherwise i would have definitely also orderd the denon 7000, grado rs1, and many others. and yeah i realize they all need burn in, but hey... this is the best i can do! better than ordering blind, no? also, i have read dozens and dozens of articles and posts about these headphones so i am familiar with what the effect of burning each one in is. i will definitely keep that in mind.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

I use my lovely Sen HD25 (classic model MK1) and for club & RnB stuff i like them even more than HD650 sure you still need some hi quality nearfields and some ****CONTROL like super cheap computer speakers.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

you are a credit to gearslutz everywhere. Take good notes and tell us all about it. thumbsup
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
you are a credit to gearslutz everywhere. ..
..but of course a real slut would keep them ALL heh

Be interested to read your findings TTH.It's probably the best practical way to do it,but-as has been mentioned-they will all benefit from a burn-in,some (K701 for eg) more so than others.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I've had the Ultrasone PRO 750 for quite some time now and I think i'm doing pretty good, I really like them.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I got the K701. Bought them after testing many models in a long session.
I can recommend them.
BUT: I didn`t use them since I have Adam Audio monitors. Can`t compare headphones to speakers.

DT770 Pro have powerful bass.
The DT990 Pro sound a bit more natural than the DT770 Pro though (because they are open).

The DT880 Pro to me sounded like there is a hole in the bass frequency range. Total lack of bass.

Ultrasone`s have a particular sound. They smell like a chemical factory. Not sure if that is healthy Phthalate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I've heard DT-770 Pros...based on bass esponse and comfort. - bought them...love them.

I also have Senns HD280 Pro...more closed off than the ft-770's but sound like mid rangy cans with little to no bass....unless you put EXTRA bass into them. Just alone, they don't have much bass. BY far the better headphone here is the DT-770 but I've heard good things about the new Beyerdynamic T-1. Warning - NOT CHEAP. The Mercedez Benz of headphones???? They certainly look tasty. They aren't listed under the "studio" platform...but more in the music listening catagory but I'm sure they sound wonderful...and they better at that price.

Maybe check out the DT-250.

T 1 - Music Pleasure - At Home - Headphones & Headsets - Headphones & Headsets
Old 23rd December 2010
Beyerdynamic DT 990!
forget DT 770, huge bass lump due to closed design.
DT 880 has highs that are sharp and too present... also too expensive

DT 990!!! Trust me, ive tried them all! heh

cant go wrong, good mix of being able to mix with bass that has a touch of club feeling
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder to what degree some of these headphone impressions are being colored by impedence issues with the headphone source. Quite happy with my DT880's being driven off my mixer's headphone output (soundtracs) but found HD650's lacking without a dedicated amp before. DT880's were chosen specifically because the bass seemed accurate enough off that source (mixer headphone output) and the highs weren't fatiguing...for mixing. I did find AKG 701 to be a tad bass light for my purposes but I imagine that midrange friendly instruments might translate better for some uses.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I wonder to what degree some of these headphone impressions are being colored by impedence issues with the headphone source.
Excellent point.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

alrighty... so all the headphones came in today. i spent a few hours listening to them all... basically about 30min on each on average plus going back and forth between them, etc.

first let me just say that i am no audio genius and that i just wanted to express my opinion and help people who are in a similar position as me. i actually found it quite challenging to express how i think these sound... i am no expert with audio adjectives. think of these descriptions as coming from someone who has been a huge fan of electronic music for many many years and a producer for several years. and they are not full reviews.. just some notes and observations.

second of all.. i know all these headphones need to be broken in. i am familiar with how the sound changes for some of them, but not all of them. there is where you need to do research.

lastly, some of these have a much higher impedance than others and need serious amplification to push them. make sure you know what youre getting into!

i am going to describe what i noticed about each one and then rank them in order from favorite to least favorite. i wont be including the headphones i already own (7506 and 770) because i already discussed those and found neither of them to be suitable. off we go...

CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES

-Sennheiser HD25 ii

comfort wise, this thing is a serious head clamp. i was able to adjust it a bit to make it more comfortable, but still.. not a big fan of how it feels on my head whatsoever.

as far as the sound.. overall i liked it. i was actually kind of surprised. it has a very punchy and in your face sound. the bass response seemed pretty good, although definitely a bit hyped and a tad mushy. it also seemed to be a bit bright. if you plan to track with these, throw on the de-esser FIRST! hi-hats were raping my ears. the separation was decent... nothing very impressive. overall a pretty good headphone.

-Ultrasone Pro 750

i really hated these things from the moment i put them on my head. they just sounded terrible. they sound like really unbalanced, super colored headphones with everything running through a ****ty reverb unit. i have heard that ultrasones need a lot of burning in.. so maybe that's it... or lets hope so!

-Denon AH-D2000

first off, these are some really comfy headphones. i could wear these 24/7 and have no issues.

the first thing i noticed is that they have some serious bass. i suspect it could be a bit difficult mixing due to that. either way.. you better get used to it and understand how mixes would translate. the upper mids seemed a tad scooped. i liked the highs for sure, but they didnt seem that detailed. still pretty nice though. overall, i actually really liked listening to these, although i feel like they might be better for listening to music that for mixing it.

OPEN BACK HEADPHONES

-Beyerdynamic DT880

nice and comfy

i feel like the best way i can describe these is to say that they are what you would think an open back version of the 770 would sound like. perhaps some of you would disagree with me… but that's what i think. they are a brighter version of the 770's. however i still found the highs to lack detail, and the bass to be relatively mushy. overall a pretty good headphone, but not something i would be satisfied with at all. perhaps it was an almost boxy quality i cannot really describe.

-Sennheiser HD600

these are really comfy. i know a lot of people think they're gorgeous headphones, but i personally think they're ugly as sin.

these are sick. not sure how else to put it. and no, its not placebo because i've read tons of reviews saying there are sick… they really are awesome. tight, focused bass. nice, balanced midrange. detailed highs. and overall, just smooth as butter. i've never heard a pair of headphones sound so smooth. i guess there is a bit of a 'veil', as everyone keeps saying, but nothing that bothers me. i listened to these for a while because i enjoyed it so much, and then it hit me… they sound like the headphone version of my monitors, the opals! awesome.

-AKG K701

i gotta say, these are the coolest looking headphones i have ever seen! talk about future-retro. really cool! they are comfortable, but unfortunately not very stable. as long as you keep your head upright, you're good, but lean front or back too much and they're coming off. kind of annoying but not the biggest deal.

sound wise, i found them to be exactly as described in all the reviews and posts i read. incredible highs, although a touch bright and a bit thin. very tight, focused bass.. but i wish there was just a little more of it! really nice sounding headphones overall.

-Grado SR3255is

not a big fan of how these feel on my head, although they aren't terrible. im sure i could get used to them.

sound wise, they are also exactly as described. BAM! very forward and in your face. very detailed highs but a bit bright for me. nice, tight bass. very different from the others… although i could see a lot of people really digging this pair! perhaps better for other styles of music. again, though... this one is really a preference thing.

so, how would i rank these? well, at this point, one must consider that these headphones' sound does evolve as you burn them in. the hd600's high end opens up after burn in. the k701's bass and high frequency thickness come together. also, one most consider preferences.. do you like a laid back smooth headphone or do you want something that is super in your face? so here is my personal OPINION:

1) Sennheiser HD600 - just incredible. this is how i like to hear my music. and the thought that they will only improve is insane. can't wait!

2) AKG K701 - incredible detail. knowing that they tame up and fill out after burn in places them here.

3) Denon AHD2000 - best closed back headphones i have ever heard
Grado SR325is - if you like super in your face craziness, you will love
these... crazy detail too

5) Sennheiser HD25 ii - pretty nice! i can see what prydz and paolo mojo like about them. probably best for dj'ing, though.

6) Beyerdynamic DT880 - all around good headphones, but personally not my thing

7) Ultrasone Pro 750 - really terrible. i hope burning them in works wonders

in my opinion, you really can't go wrong with any of the top 4. those hd600's really blew me away though!

at first i wanted to keep the hd600's and k701's and burn them both in and then decide on which to keep but, no... these sennheisers are just phenomenal! i dont think there is any burning in that could possibly make the tables turn. its funny how my top two phones are the two i was initially debating between.

and now, feel free to poop all over my opinions hehhehheh
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

oh an i dont have a separate headphone amp... i used my apogee ensemble which, i believe, has pretty solid amps.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Maniac

I think Sennheiser HD600 are a bit too dark for mixing. I always check my mixes with them but it's really hard to mix all the way with them.
HD800 are excellent but they are quite expensive.
Wouldn't mind trying AKG 701.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks

Hi TH
Thanks for doing some great legwork on this. I appreciate you sharing your opinions. Hope your returns go smoothly!
Cheers from SF
Bud
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoo View Post
I think Sennheiser HD600 are a bit too dark for mixing. I always check my mixes with them but it's really hard to mix all the way with them.
HD800 are excellent but they are quite expensive.
Wouldn't mind trying AKG 701.
been listening to them more and yeah they are a touch dark. i listened to some mixes i made that i know are a touch bright and they sound perfect. hopefully after burn in they will open up a bit which is what everyone says... either way its all about learning whatever phones you have

actually i am gonna burn them both in overnight and see if anything changes. if only i could combine the akg and sennheiser into one it would be so perfect...
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
been listening to them more and yeah they are a touch dark. i listened to some mixes i made that i know are a touch bright and they sound perfect. hopefully after burn in they will open up a bit which is what everyone says... either way its all about learning whatever phones you have
They will open up.I am on hd580Precision and after 9 years i so dont want anything else.And i heard beyerdynamik and so many else.Its a relationship i wont quit.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
..either way its all about learning whatever phones you have...
..Bingo!!

As long as you've got a decent level of detail..that's it..just knowing them very well.

Thanks for sharing,

F
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

@the talking head, thanx for that review man, interesting stuff. I agree with you on alot of it btw.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Has anyone checked out the new KRK cans (KNS 8400)? I'm saving my pennies to get a pair of VXT8's one of these days (I've checked them out at a local shop), but haven't seen the 8400's anywhere to listen to. Very reasonably priced compared to their monitors so I'm very curious.

Search Results
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
hopefully after burn in they will open up a bit which is what everyone says..
Everyone where? If someone seriously believes in headphone burn in I have some nice Monster Cables I have for sale to them for a low low bargain price.

The only thing likely to burn in after some usage are your ears, and that's courtesy of your brain getting used to their frequency response. After that, if you like them, it's usually difficult to adjust to other headphones, especially more coloured ones (which I would include the HD650 under because of its boosted bass response) since your brain will have to learn to compensate differently.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search