The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daw of choice for electronic music DAW Software
View Poll Results: Daw of choice for electronic music
Ableton live
65 Votes - 29.68%
Logic
55 Votes - 25.11%
Cubase
44 Votes - 20.09%
pro tools
14 Votes - 6.39%
other
41 Votes - 18.72%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Daw of choice for electronic music

just wandering what DAW do you prefer to make electronic music. I know at the end music is the only thing that matters but just wandering
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIJ View Post
just wandering
Where are you going with this? heh

Logic for me.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Where are you going with this? heh

Logic for me.
wohoo that was fast

Last edited by PRODIJ; 20th December 2010 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: cant leave the smiley out
Old 20th December 2010
reaper for me - very customisable working environment. probably not the best environment for composing (ie. not great if you are a loop based composer) but for everything else it's the only host i have really clicked with.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

another reaper vote here (wintel)

but logic is swank too (mac)
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Using Sonar here.
Old 20th December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

I ****ing LOVE Live (technically Ableton is just the company that makes it). Reason and FL Studio are great for making quick little loops too but my main workstation is Live.

Versatile, customizable and visually pleasing to look at. Cant ask for much more.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Reaper
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Atari 1040 ST when I use a computer.

alexP
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
What software do you like to use on the Atari 1040 ST ? I've been curious of going that route for awhile... I'm a bit of a luddite...

I voted Cubase... don't own a computer for music myself.. but love dambling on Cubase for sequencing at a friends house. Also really like Live's effects.. most of the time.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
What software do you like to use on the Atari 1040 ST ? I've been curious of going that route for awhile... I'm a bit of a luddite...

I voted Cubase... don't own a computer for music myself.. but love dambling on Cubase for sequencing at a friends house. Also really like Live's effects.. most of the time.

Yeah I run Cubase on the Atari! I had C Lab Creator before that, which I had used since about 1991.

Cubase is fantastic.

alexP
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
Is that 3.0 ?? Just for midi though right?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Reaper here.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

OTHER: Reaper
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Is that 3.0 ?? Just for midi though right?

Yeah its 3.0 and its just Midi. I slave an Akai DR4 to it for audio such as vocals and whatnot. I do have a DAW running Cubase SX 3.0 for projects where I need to import tracks and whatnot, but for remixes and whatnot, I just transfer the vocals as a .wav through some api gear, down to L/R on the Akai, and then just build a track around that.

alexP
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
Awesome... any obvious things I should look for when purchasing an 1040 ST?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Yeah I run Cubase on the Atari! I had C Lab Creator before that, which I had used since about 1991.

Cubase is fantastic.

alexP
are you serious?
Attached Thumbnails
Daw of choice for electronic music-atarist.gif  
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
Only computer that has a MIDI out built right into it.... it all depends on what you need a computer to do.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Renoise
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Fl studio and Reaper.
Old 20th December 2010
Logic all the way. Though I'm using more and more of Ableton, but at mixdown I'll rewire it.

Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Neat kalimba profile pic. I have one. It is my very first musical instrument I ever owned and bought in my life. I had a nice Mali made djembe too... but I sucked and pissed off neighbors too much, so I sold it and bought a 16ch mackie mixer and a cheapy 505 & RZ and Mirage ...then got sucked into buying more synths and drum machines ...happier neighbors, happier me, nicer sounding music...especially compared to beginner djembe player with no skills hehe
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ive used logic cubase since 486/68000 days

about 1 year ago I started using live , couldnt stand it . then gradually it grew on me.

today probably 70% of what i do is done in live. Virtually everything thats 4/4 is done in live . I am sure within the next 6-12 months I will probably only use live , or at least 95%

the best things about live just seem so much better than everything else and it seems much more logical and intuitive for electronic music . I can make a track in half the time than logic or cubase . I mean you can jam out a track in pattern mode in minutes and have half a completed track . Clean that up in the arrange mode and your done
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sonar. Been using it since version 2 and just stuck w/ it.

I should mention that I use it for recording/mixing only. I use my mpc for midi sequencing.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic for recording.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIJ View Post
just wandering what DAW do you prefer to make electronic music.
There are no DAWs for electronic music, in the sense that there aren't monitors for electronic music or compressors for electronic music.

The software does not care what you do with it.

Quote:
I know at the end music is the only thing that matters but just wandering
No. What matters is the interface since that's what you're working with and whether it can run your software synths of choice and whether it can deal with your MIDI interfaces of choice (poorly for pretty much all of 'm, generally speaking).

All sequencers grow on you; you become familiar with their idiosyncrasies and endure their quirks and shortcomings - so all choices you're going to see here are based on that kind of development.

(to answer the question: Ableton Live, but again neither it or me care what gets in there. I'd choose it if I did singer-songwriting work too, because it doesn't get in my way).
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Reaper
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use Cubase 5.5. The main reason is because I have used Steinberg products since 1993. I know how it works and I work fast. So Logic, Ableton or Pro Tools in the right hands are great software.

For the last couple of month I've switched over to SSL Sound Scape V6 for digital audio recording/mixing and I’m only using Cubase 5.5 for MIDI.
The advantage I feel I get is a stable system, SSL channel EQ, Dynamics and Bus Compressor and to 128/Ch of simultaneous audio record/playback in near zero latency.

Best regards
Demokid
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Atari 1040 ST when I use a computer.
alexP
Wow thats hardcore! I started with a Atari 520 ST back in early 90's and then moved to Atari Falcon 030. Those where the times J
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
Wow thats hardcore!
No. A Roland MC-4 - that's hardcore

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search