The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daw of choice for electronic music DAW Software
View Poll Results: Daw of choice for electronic music
Ableton live
65 Votes - 29.68%
Logic
55 Votes - 25.11%
Cubase
44 Votes - 20.09%
pro tools
14 Votes - 6.39%
other
41 Votes - 18.72%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st December 2010
  #61
Gear Nut
 
SF_Green's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
Primarily a Sonar user, but also use Studio One.
I also like and use Sonar. Does MIDI, and I can Rewire Reason in too.
Old 21st December 2010
  #62
Lives for gear
 

This thread is great helping me decide which to get.

I am all hardware and plan to stick with HW 90-95% (mpc60, mackine 16 channel mixer, synths, drum machines, hardware fx, etc), but still need a DAW to track some simple vocals, solos, instruments, longer samples for remix/re-edit work, etc. So I am just planning on using only 2 channels in a DAW for recording out of my mix-bus from my 16 ch mixer (for all my hardware gear), and have any additional channels in the DAW ONLY for additional solos, vocals, etc. Basically using the DAW as a hardware-mixdown/vocal/solo recorder; NOT sequencing, softsynths, midi etc. ...good idea?

Going to get either the little Presonus mobile or the firestudio 8 channel rack.

And from all the polls, I will either get Live or Logic.
Old 21st December 2010
  #63
Lives for gear
S1 Pro - the newcomer with a fresh codebase
Old 21st December 2010
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
This thread is great helping me decide which to get.

I am all hardware and plan to stick with HW 90-95% (mpc60, mackine 16 channel mixer, synths, drum machines, hardware fx, etc), but still need a DAW to track some simple vocals, solos, instruments, longer samples for remix/re-edit work, etc. So I am just planning on using only 2 channels in a DAW for recording out of my mix-bus from my 16 ch mixer (for all my hardware gear), and have any additional channels in the DAW ONLY for additional solos, vocals, etc. Basically using the DAW as a hardware-mixdown/vocal/solo recorder; NOT sequencing, softsynths, midi etc. ...good idea?

Going to get either the little Presonus mobile or the firestudio 8 channel rack.

And from all the polls, I will either get Live or Logic.
dude - I dont think Live the right choice for your needs...its more a compositional tool than a mix tool...and personally I think Logic is bloated and buggy (I say this as an ex Logic and current Live user) and will come with a ton of stuff irrelevant for you...

for your needs I'd look at Reaper - its light, efficient and its strength is mixing...Studio One and Harrison Mixbus are worth a look also...but you should demo them...

The majority of people in this poll I would guess are using their DAW as more compositional than you plan to and a lot more ITB production - hence there will be a strong weight towards Live and Logic...
Old 21st December 2010
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
dude - I dont think Live the right choice for your needs...its more a compositional tool than a mix tool...and personally I think Logic is bloated and buggy (I say this as an ex Logic and current Live user) and will come with a ton of stuff irrelevant for you...

for your needs I'd look at Reaper - its light, efficient and its strength is mixing...Studio One and Harrison Mixbus are worth a look also...but you should demo them...

The majority of people in this poll I would guess are using their DAW as more compositional than you plan to and a lot more ITB production - hence there will be a strong weight towards Live and Logic...
$40 for reaper... not bad at all! I might have a go at it after I buy a presonus infterface
Old 21st December 2010
  #66
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
$40 for reaper... not bad at all! I might have a go at it after I buy a presonus infterface
Most PreSonus interfaces come with Studio One Artist, which would actually suit your needs pretty well. It can't host 3rd party plugins, though, so you might still need to look at REAPER ($60) or an upgrade to S1 Pro ($200)

Of course if you like Artist and like PreSonus' built-in plugs, then you're good to go already. Setup for a PreSonus interface in S1 is very easy in my experience, too.
Old 21st December 2010
  #67
Lives for gear
After many years of logic I've been dabbling in ableton and just did my first major remix with it and found it to be so much more inspiring and fast. I even cut vocals with it and was pleasantly surprised at how easy everything was. Looks like my logic affair is finally over!
Old 21st December 2010
  #68
Gear Nut
 
Delta T's Avatar
 

Been using REAPER mostly as of late. Do my midi stuff and some tracking in it then export the tracks and mix in SawStudio. Pretty happy with the results so far.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Context is king...

It would be more informative to also put the cost of each DAW and the "cracked" availability of each DAW... I think that info would shed greater context to the results.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #70
Lives for gear
 
cramseur's Avatar
I use Cakewalk SONAR X1 now.

I started with Twelve Tone System's Cakewalk when it was a midi only program,
and since upgrading was always cheaper than switching, I just stayed with them.

I did consider Cubase, when VSTs first came out...didn't like the workflow and went back to Cakewalk.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #71
Lives for gear
 
timbreman's Avatar
 

I will be the oddball here and say Live for composing and Acid Pro 6 for mixdown.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #72
JES
Lives for gear
 
JES's Avatar
 

I do electronic music but not edm. Live is my main DAW, with a little digital performer (what I started on) and Numerology for MIDI sequencing.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #73
Lives for gear
 
rushton's Avatar
 

Im all logic at the moment but I would really love to give ableton a go.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #74
Lives for gear
 
tvsky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
It would be more informative to also put the cost of each DAW and the "cracked" availability of each DAW... I think that info would shed greater context to the results.
is there any daw that isnt cracked ?
Old 22nd December 2010
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Sensorychaos's Avatar
 

Nuendo for life.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #76
Lives for gear
 
CRACKPIPE's Avatar
 

Using Pro Tools now because that's what I have. Thinking about keeping that for tracking vocals and moving to Ableton Live to produce because I'm thinking about performing as well.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
is there any daw that isnt cracked ?
Pro Tools HD.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #78
Lives for gear
 
nofi's Avatar
 

a bit of reaper, a bit of ableton.... also sequence a lot on hardware.

my old cubase dongle is gathering dust. (I imagine..... haven't seen it for about a year)

reaper is pretty cool, lots of features and well laid out, but can be pretty unintuitive if you're used to other daws. would be awesome to start out on though if you had no preconceptions of how stuff should work! (as long as you were keeping hardware to a minimum and didn't want to run external MIDI sequencers)

reaper's biggest failure is their completely point-missing midi clock implementation. whoever runs reaper has a massive misunderstanding of what MIDI clock came from, no idea why it should be different to MTC, and no understanding of looping sequencers. No amount of feature/change or bug requests ore discussion about why their way of doing things is absolutely wrong get noticed. At least live (and every other daw that attempts it) gets midi clock generation right.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #79
Gear Nut
 

i switch daws for diffrent features of daw.. i use logic for arranging. it is the centre of production. i use live for making some beats. espacially for glitchy beats. i bounce them and import them to logic afterwards. if i am tracking acoustic instruments i switch to protools. i record and edit them on protools and import the consolidates to logic
Old 22nd December 2010
  #80
Here for the gear
 
zoid9's Avatar
 

REAPER and Reason. + Soundforge 10 for things I can't seem to do in either.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #81
Lives for gear
 

any of them will do. sorry to be vague but beauty is in the eye ....

. I don't think it matters anymore; they all have their unique features.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #82
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
any of them will do. sorry to be vague but beauty is in the eye ....

. I don't think it matters anymore; they all have their unique features.
Pretty much. People are going to have to find out what works for them and/or just sit down and learn it well.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #83
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
It would be more informative to also put the cost of each DAW and the "cracked" availability of each DAW... I think that info would shed greater context to the results.
why?
Old 22nd December 2010
  #84
Lives for gear
 
nofi's Avatar
 

....because he thinks that if all daws cost the same and were equally able to be cracked, we'd all prefer protools HD.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #85
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
....because he thinks that if all daws cost the same and were equally able to be cracked, we'd all prefer protools HD.

ahh ok here was me thinking it would be some unfounded elitist trip. fair enoughthumbsupheh

with PT being native now, a definite add to the list
Old 22nd December 2010
  #86
Gear Nut
 
Delta T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
....because he thinks that if all daws cost the same and were equally able to be cracked, we'd all prefer protools HD.

heh
Old 22nd December 2010
  #87
Here for the gear
 
Tvanbeat's Avatar
For electronic music my go to DAW is Logic. For recording bands etc I usually use PTHD.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #88
Gear Addict
Reaper. Why? I just like it philosophy, very simple, great shortcuts, some good plugins, no diskspace consuming, some people use it on gigs as emergency DAW.
Old 23rd December 2010
  #89
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enisanci View Post
i switch daws for diffrent features of daw.. i use logic for arranging. it is the centre of production. i use live for making some beats. espacially for glitchy beats. i bounce them and import them to logic afterwards. if i am tracking acoustic instruments i switch to protools. i record and edit them on protools and import the consolidates to logic

Wow! You must be a very rich guy!heh

On topic: I use Nuendo. I grew up with Cubase on my Atari ST (which I still use in my studio from time to time but for more experimental MIDI stuff mostly). I found out that Nuendo uses about 20% less processing power than Cubase on a given project...
Old 23rd December 2010
  #90
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Wow! You must be a very rich guy!heh

On topic: I use Nuendo. I grew up with Cubase on my Atari ST (which I still use in my studio from time to time but for more experimental MIDI stuff mostly). I found out that Nuendo uses about 20% less processing power than Cubase on a given project...
REALLY???? when what version ? and if you know why is it able to do this?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mr.danielnewell / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
12
ohmicide / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
74

Forum Jump
Forum Jump