The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daw of choice for electronic music DAW Software
View Poll Results: Daw of choice for electronic music
Ableton live
65 Votes - 29.68%
Logic
55 Votes - 25.11%
Cubase
44 Votes - 20.09%
pro tools
14 Votes - 6.39%
other
41 Votes - 18.72%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic for composing and arranging. Then import everything as audio files and mix it in Pro Tools. I like it this way.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I recently changed from ableton to logic and like logic very much...

Pretty easy once you get comfortable with it.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

i was using logic for a long time, but i made the switch to ableton.

much better workflow (for me)...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Other: Studio One, though Live was my one and only true love for awhile

I like the UI/Workflow of S1 a lot, and for manual glitching it's greased lightning.

I use Numerology (awesome modular step sequencer environment) a lot, too, but now that there is the Numerology AU, I'm loading that into S1 vs futzing about with ReWire.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Neat kalimba profile pic. I have one. It is my very first musical instrument I ever owned and bought in my life. I had a nice Mali made djembe too... but I sucked and pissed off neighbors too much, so I sold it and bought a 16ch mackie mixer and a cheapy 505 & RZ and Mirage ...then got sucked into buying more synths and drum machines ...happier neighbors, happier me, nicer sounding music...especially compared to beginner djembe player with no skills hehe
Hehe, it's a sansula actually. It's so beautiful. Well, djembes can get loud, but instruments, just like electronic music, all they need is practise.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Logic primarily and a bit of Ableton.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
No. A Roland MC-4 - that's hardcore

As soon as I find one, Im all over it. Most of the time I do everything with a couple of Roland MSQ700s :P Which is still pretty hardcore!heh

alexP
Old 20th December 2010
Nuendo gives me everything i need in the studio. from detailed audio and midi editing, esp nice when doing orchestral mockups, to arranging tools, precise audio-post tools/video support etc.

however for live performances i'm getting ready to check out Ableton. i'd prepare audio/midi clips in Nuendo, and then transfer to Ableton for real-time manipulation.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

ProTools 9!!! Yes--I'm not afraid to admit it! I've stayed loyal to them throughout the years and it finally payed off, no more worries of by 002.

Back to the
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

rs7000

...hardware, baby
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

More people are using Reaper then i thought would be. What are your thoughts on the program? Main features you like?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Daw of choice for electronic music

Ableton for sequencing, Harrison mixbus for (you guessed it) mixing and mastering
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Reason
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I wouldn't call reason a 'DAW'. It's not really a workstation for digital audio. It is a nice workstation though.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Software => Ableton Live
Hardware => Sequentix P3

Hédi K.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I wouldn't call reason a 'DAW'. It's not really a workstation for digital audio. It is a nice workstation though.
Its now though with REASON 5 you can resample anything inside or outside reason.

http://www.propellerheads.se/product...w_livesampling

What I use is garageband, it fits well with my minimal needs.

I have been a 5 years user of Ableton Live and I love it. I also love Reason and Digital Performer.

But my truely favourite remains my Yamaha Motif ES6. Nothing beats hands on control.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Ok, Reason/Record. You caught me being lazy! ;- )
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
Ableton for sequencing, Harrison mixbus for (you guessed it) mixing and mastering
was thinking about using Live with Reaper or Mixbus - what are your thoughts on Mixbus? Does it work well with outboard?
Old 21st December 2010

Reaper.......of course!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Can someone give us all the good oil on Reaper"?

Coming from a Logic then Ableton background.

Rewiring to Reaper from Live looks awfully enticing and I think he probably just a new .00x update with a billion additions - I've never seen any DAW come out with the velocity of USE FULL updated like that Justin fella
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I use Reaper for mixing, but find it not up to the task when it comes to MIDI. Logic still rules there IMO.
Old 21st December 2010
ableton for composing, logic for mixdown
Old 21st December 2010
As a Live user I really like the look of Studio One and its more mix-focussed element but it doesn't have the creative element that Live does - I love Lives MIDI plugs particularly...perhaps if S1 had them I'd consider moving over...

As a electronic music maker - I'd like really to have 1 DAW to rule them all...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I use Pro Tools, though I wouldn't necessarily call it the "DAW of choice" for electronic music. That would be Ableton Live, for me. Since I mostly use older synths with limited (if any) MIDI capabilities, outboard FX, hardware sequencers, drum machines, etc., the computer for me functions mostly as an audio recording device and not as a sequencer. I will occasionally sequence things on the computer, but I prefer to play most things either by hand, or program a simple outboard sequencer (like the Roland MSQ-100, or the onboard sequencer on my XP-60) which I'll then trigger "live" while tracking. For this reason, Pro Tools is perfect for me because its strong points are audio tracking, editing and mixing.

For pre-production, or just sketching out new ideas, etc. Ableton Live is my "DAW of choice." The workflow is simply superb. I've never actually finished a track within Ableton, however. There are just too many little things missing for me. Great program, though.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

These days I usually use Live for sequencing. I used to use an MPC 2000XL and an Alesis MMT8. There is alot I do miss about hardware sequencing. For one it forced you to work differently than say having all of these pretty graphics to look at. If I had not got my modern midi setup as tight as I have i would have gone with an Atari 1040 as well.

But right now, Live is my main weapon of choice.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

It sounds like the OP is pretty new at this, so if you want a DAW for edm then Reason is your gateway, obviously.

I like Reaper for tracking and mixing. sometimes Sonar for loops but rarely do I use any these days.
Audition 1.5 (no later!) for wav edits.

formerly Sonar, Cubase, Acid and Live
raised on MasterTracks, Vision, Cakewalk and (Atari) Cubase

I don't use DAW-based MIDI anymore. And hopefully I never have to again.
I sequence mostly CV in-studio. Also w/ MIDI and DIN-sync when playing live sets.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Primarily a Sonar user, but also use Studio One.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Logic all the way here

My bro keeps telling me to try Ableton as its much easier, but I think im just stuck in my ways now.

What's the saying, "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke"
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
As soon as I find one, Im all over it. Most of the time I do everything with a couple of Roland MSQ700s :P Which is still pretty hardcore!heh

alexP
Incredible! Do you generally do long sequences or do a few shorter ones and string them together? It's kind of fun to program I think...I would kind of tap on the note/rest buttons like a metronome while punching in the notes on the kb, is that how you do it?

I'm not technically using is at as a digital AUDIO workstation (record to tape currently) but I've been sequencing with Numerology for a while now. However, I've kind of been seduced by seeing guys like Flying Lotus, Nosaj Thing, Megasoid doing live electronic music. I want to be able to perform like that! Obviously not exactly like those cats but being able to share my music with people more than just starting some sequences up is really exciting. So when I go home for the next two weeks for christmas and can't bring my synths I'm going to be getting acquainted with Live.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
There are no DAWs for electronic music, in the sense that there aren't monitors for electronic music or compressors for electronic music.

The software does not care what you do with it.
While technically correct, I have to disagree with the implication. There are certainly "better or worse" DAWs for given tasks. I do not think any sane person would use Live solely for recording orchestras!

Similarly there are implementations of certain functionality that make a given DAW better or worse for Electronic music. Even within Electronic music it really matters how you compose or produce. I like Live for playing around and coming up with ideas--it is a very fun and inspirational tool in that context, but since I'm not a loop-based producer/composer I ultimately do all tracks in Logic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search