The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend me a new interface/What's the difference between converters? Audio Interfaces
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Recommend me a new interface/What's the difference between converters?

Hey guys,

basically my profire 610 just isn't cutting it with the amount of inputs I have (gonna start building a small rack, probably just a comp, effects, new audio interface, and maybe a hardware EQ) and I have a few questions.

1. What do better converters do to the quality of a sound on old synths anyways? Is there a huge difference? I'm assuming that it's more "airy" and spacious if described by nouns? Similar to when you plug a synth directly into a monitor? Do line inputs differ much between interface to interface?

2. Out of these, what should I go for? I need firewire to get audio to my computer, I'm thinking either a Mackie Onyx 1220i or something, or an RME Fireface 800. The fireface is more expensive so I'm assuming it's better, but probably wouldn't use ALL the inputs (assuming that maybe it's more expensive because of all the inputs/preamps etc.) for what I'm paying for, so assuming the fireface had less inputs, what converters are better, the fireface or the mackie? Also, I don't even need more than 1 preamp for a mic.

Also any other firewire recommendations for converters that would better suit me? Really good quality converters and maybe 8 inputs is all I'm really aiming for, I just don't want to buy an interface that sacrifices the converters for more inputs than I'd use. Especially if I don't need the preamps (although it seems most of the firewire interfaces want to add at least 2 or more :(

Thanks guys
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

mac or pc? Honestly, at risk of marking myself as a member of some unslutty untouchable caste, I am happy with a motu 828, it is stable, fairly cheap and sounds fine to my ears for synths and drum machines. I am not fond of the pres on it but I have external preamps so it is not a big deal...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

i'd recommend the echo audiofire series, i think they actually use some of the same chips as the RME's and they're fairly affordable. the rme isn't bad either though.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use Solid State Logic and I'm very satisfied with this set up.
Great sounding AD/DA for a reasonable price almost no latency, DSP powered SSL processing plug-ins.

XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX
Solid State Logic | Music

MX4 (128 channel MADI I/O)
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/music/xlogic%20mx4/

or

MadiXtreme (Less expensive alternative)
Solid State Logic | Music

Kind regards
Demokid
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just wondering what do you have to step up to if you want to upgrade from a rme ff400?
I take it an apogee ensemble isnt enough of a step to bother?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushton View Post
Just wondering what do you have to step up to if you want to upgrade from a rme ff400?
I take it an apogee ensemble isnt enough of a step to bother?
Lynx Aurora. That's the least expensive multichannel converter with a good clock, passable analog components and power supply.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

From Thomann (Germany):

SSL ALPHA LINK MADI AX + MadiXtreme PCIe Card Bundle (24x analogue I/O) = 1939 EUR
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ssl_io_bundle.htm

LYNX STUDIO AURORA 16 (16 Channels) = 2555 EUR
http://www.thomann.de/gb/lynx_studio_aurora_16.htm
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
From Thomann (Germany):

SSL ALPHA LINK MADI AX + MadiXtreme PCIe Card Bundle (24x analogue I/O) = 1939 EUR
SSL I/O BUNDLE - U.K. International Cyberstore

LYNX STUDIO AURORA 16 - U.K. International Cyberstore
You'd still need an interface for the Aurora.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes I know. That is why I think the Solid State Logic is the least expensive solution of the two.

The AlphaLink MADI AX without the PCIe interface is 1599 EUR.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ssl_x_logic...nk_madi_ax.htm
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Recommend me a new interface/What's the difference between converters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid
Yes I know. That is why I think the Solid State Logic is the least expensive solution of the two.

The AlphaLink MADI AX without the PCIe interface is 1599 EUR.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ssl_x_logic...nk_madi_ax.htm
SSL Alpha with the MADI card is a hard deal to beat. Not only do you get 24 channels of Analog conversion, you can use the 24 ADAT channels at the same time for 48 channels of i/o.

Look at the ufx as well. A lot of features in that box. I have an aurora 16 and it is great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

RonT: The Alpha Link is great but only a 96kHz converter. I mostly record electronic music and only in 48kHz which works for me.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
From Thomann (Germany):

SSL I/O BUNDLE - U.K. International Cyberstore

LYNX STUDIO AURORA 16 - U.K. International Cyberstore
Wow thats actually quite reasonable, I can get that for 2750 Aud by the looks. I thought it was going to be like 4k plus........"sigh" now more gas has kicked in heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search