The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for someone to mix this electro-pop track
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

Looking for someone to mix this electro-pop track

Hi guys,

I'll come clean, I don't have a lot of money, and I never had anyone mix any of my tracks before. Anyway, I'd love to hear what my music could sound once it's properly mixed/mastered.
I gave up on this song, because I can't make it sound any better than a bowl of mashed potatoes (that doesn't even make sense lol).

As far as the track goes, it's an electro-pop instrumental inspired by.......(+100 interweb point's to whoever guesses lol)

So anyone who want's to practice their mixing techniques or w/e are free to take up the challenge. Also if you can provide a good mix I'll pay (I can't offer much though, I'm kinda broke atm lol).

If any one is interested I can send you the stems.

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

The mix already sounds pretty good to me. Perhaps you only need to have someone (a more experienced friend perhaps?) come into your studio and tweak a bit here and there... and then just have it professionally mastered (which is not that expensive).
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
The mix already sounds pretty good to me. Perhaps you only need to have someone (a more experienced friend perhaps?) come into your studio and tweak a bit here and there... and then just have it professionally mastered (which is not that expensive).
Thanks. So you think I'd only need someone to master it for me? Works for me lol

Anyway, do any of you guys have any thoughts on the track in general?

Do you think it's hit material? lol heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Jay View Post
As far as the track goes, it's an electro-pop instrumental inspired by.......(+100 interweb point's to whoever guesses lol)
I think I have it...

The music from this:

Performed with the supersaws from this:

Over the beat from this:

Do I win an internet??
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I think I have it...

Do I win an internet??
No.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd be able to mix and / or master it for you at a reasonable price. Feel free to PM or IM me.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac
There's something in there that reminds me of Pokerface. The percussion type thing that sounds like rain droplets to me. Idk how you did that, but I'd love to know. That's a pretty good track too. Like a zillion times better than my ****.

The song to me kinda sounds like Starstruck.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

sounds fine to me, i didnt hear any major problems freq wise, didnt seem like anything was fighting with anything. I'd say find a sweeter reverb and drum samples
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. So you think I'd only need someone to master it for me?
Yes. I did not hear any "show-stopping" problems in the mix myself. Only a few things here and there I might have done differently (e.g. choice of reverb). The first time I had a more knowledgeable friend come in and tweak one of my mixes, it was a very enlightening experience. I realized (1) my mixes were not as bad as I thought and (2) another set of ears - especially fresh ones that haven't been involved in the production from the start - are tremendously valuable.

Mastering is key. This I would not attempt on my own.
Old 20th December 2010
if i may, you don't need a sound engineer or a mastering engineer. you need to practice. just make more tracks. your arrangement is not there, your signal choices are weak and many parts of this track clash tonally with each other. I've done a few polishing jobs with mixes like this and although there will be a massive improvement to the sound of the end result, 9 times out of 10 the client will be dissatisfied because:

1) it will sound different to how the client made it and this loss of ownership breaks some sort of spell - at last the client can hear it more objectively and doesn't like what he hears.

2) he equates this new found displeasure with the mix-down and not with the original flaws in the track that the engineer has desperately tried to hide away or polish up.

as others have said a good mastering engineer will help this track, actually not as much as a good mix down, but because the ME will not be able to fundamentally change the track as a sound engineer can on mix down, the client likes the result more, it's an easier pill to swallow.

but please, don't waste your time on getting it mastered. You need to study and practice the creation process. as we all do.
Old 20th December 2010
Mush is the word your looking for! Yeah this track doesn't need mastering it needs better arrangement/sound selection/mixing. After that if you added a kick ass (female?) vocal it could be hit material imo.

Specifically your levels seem out of whack to me, the synth pad is totally overwhelming (I would sidechain it), the drums are weak (I would replace both the kick and snare), toms too loud (I would add reverb or delay and mix them lower, maybe a bit crusher or something). The mix as a whole is too busy in parts and lacking a tight low end, I believe for this style "less is more" works better arrangement and sound wise.

As Golden Beers said I think you just need to practice your production skills more, eq, compression, mixing, etc. Nail down your kick and snare/clap first get them nice and fat then slowly build everything else around them.

Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll be the first to admit my own standards of what constitutes a "good mix" are lower than most. I recently had a revelation regarding my own work. I realized just how much I was obsessing on mixing and production and how it was beginning to kill the spirit behind my music. So I forced myself to let go... and let me tell you, it felt good!

I just had another listen to the track, and I'm going to stand by what I wrote earlier. The mix is fine. Could be better. Could also be worse! Everyone has his own standards, etc., but were I in your position, I would examine some of the insightful criticism of the mix you're getting, decide for yourself what's valid, what isn't, what's important, what isn't, and give it another go. One go. Then send that baby off to be professionally mastered and move on. Then I would take the advice mentioned above of continuing to gain experience mixing. Mix... let go, mix... let go, mix... let go.

If you never let go, you could find yourself tweaking the same mix a year from now - or even longer! Trust me, I know from experience!

Last edited by maisonvague; 20th December 2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: clarity and pertinence
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Start is pretty cool. The lead thing sounds good with the filter sweep in the beginning. The whole track drops off from there though. I'd definitely use better kick drums, or process the ones you have more.

Shelf the low end all the way to 400 hz on the lead synth, and take the delays off the chord stabs and put them on the lead synth. Put reverb on the chord stabs. Turn the lead synth down.

In the middle after the chorus part, find a different bass lead/pad sound because that sound is just bad. Replace it with a filtered electric piano/string layer patch with the cutoff filter around 300 hz, compress the hell out of it, then put delay and a long reverb on it, about 25-30 percent wet to dry. Layer that basic sound with a transposed copy of the same sequence up a few octaves on a glockenspiel and put reverb on it on a new channel. Automate the filter on the other channel to taste.

Turn the lead synth on the second part waaay down (4-5 dB) and put delay/reverb on it.

Put delays on the arpeggios. If you want to get crazy inject parts into an aux send that contains various effects such as delay and reverb at different points in the mix.

The drum sequence needs more work. Make 8 bar chunks copied and pasted with slight variations each time, and don't forget to use cymbals here and there and put fills after the phrases you want to stand out. Even some whistles or cowbells or stupid crap like that here and there can sometimes push things into full cheese mode like the context this track tries to be. Also put a better breakdown with a slight chord change and a massive build up to the original chord, have it go smack dab full on into the last chorus and then put that end sequence before somewhere where it could be more useful, like cut the second chorus in half and put it there because it's super long. If you want a long chorus in the song, you could put it at the end so it's easier to beatmatch or edit for DJs and radio.

I second getting a female vocalist on it. :P
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I don't know man, yeah it's a bit loud on certain things like the leads. But this is a pop classic. This is one of the best song I've heard in a long time, and it totally reminds me of some lady gaga **** and I'd listen to this.

I NEVER listen to music, and I listened to this song about 4 times already. This is the kind of song I want to make.

No homo, but I totally want to collab with you, even though I suck big time.

Twilite's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks. So you think I'd only need someone to master it for me? Works for me lol

Anyway, do any of you guys have any thoughts on the track in general?

Do you think it's hit material? lol heh
its not good and as for hit MATERRIAL no
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
sounds fine to me, i didnt hear any major problems freq wise, didnt seem like anything was fighting with anything. I'd say find a sweeter reverb and drum samples
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
if i may, you don't need a sound engineer or a mastering engineer. you need to practice. just make more tracks. your arrangement is not there, your signal choices are weak and many parts of this track clash tonally with each other. I've done a few polishing jobs with mixes like this and although there will be a massive improvement to the sound of the end result, 9 times out of 10 the client will be dissatisfied because:

1) it will sound different to how the client made it and this loss of ownership breaks some sort of spell - at last the client can hear it more objectively and doesn't like what he hears.

2) he equates this new found displeasure with the mix-down and not with the original flaws in the track that the engineer has desperately tried to hide away or polish up.

as others have said a good mastering engineer will help this track, actually not as much as a good mix down, but because the ME will not be able to fundamentally change the track as a sound engineer can on mix down, the client likes the result more, it's an easier pill to swallow.

but please, don't waste your time on getting it mastered. You need to study and practice the creation process. as we all do.
Yeah, you're right .Most of the time after I'm done with the track, I'm reluctant to remove or change a part, because it starts to sound different, and "wrong". I still need to develop my ear with stuff. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Mush is the word your looking for! Yeah this track doesn't need mastering it needs better arrangement/sound selection/mixing. After that if you added a kick ass (female?) vocal it could be hit material imo.

Specifically your levels seem out of whack to me, the synth pad is totally overwhelming (I would sidechain it), the drums are weak (I would replace both the kick and snare), toms too loud (I would add reverb or delay and mix them lower, maybe a bit crusher or something). The mix as a whole is too busy in parts and lacking a tight low end, I believe for this style "less is more" works better arrangement and sound wise.

As Golden Beers said I think you just need to practice your production skills more, eq, compression, mixing, etc. Nail down your kick and snare/clap first get them nice and fat then slowly build everything else around them.

Yeah the drums kinda suck, and some of the sounds are questionable tbh. I agree lol Thanks for the compliments though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'll be the first to admit my own standards of what constitutes a "good mix" are lower than most. I recently had a revelation regarding my own work. I realized just how much I was obsessing on mixing and production and how it was beginning to kill the spirit behind my music. So I forced myself to let go... and let me tell you, it felt good!

I just had another listen to the track, and I'm going to stand by what I wrote earlier. The mix is fine. Could be better. Could also be worse! Everyone has his own standards, etc., but were I in your position, I would examine some of the insightful criticism of the mix you're getting, decide for yourself what's valid, what isn't, what's important, what isn't, and give it another go. One go. Then send that baby off to be professionally mastered and move on. Then I would take the advice mentioned above of continuing to gain experience mixing. Mix... let go, mix... let go, mix... let go.

If you never let go, you could find yourself tweaking the same mix a year from now - or even longer! Trust me, I know from experience!
Yeah, that is good mindset. I've been stuck on this song for too long, while I should move on to different material. Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
Start is pretty cool. The lead thing sounds good with the filter sweep in the beginning. The whole track drops off from there though. I'd definitely use better kick drums, or process the ones you have more.

Shelf the low end all the way to 400 hz on the lead synth, and take the delays off the chord stabs and put them on the lead synth. Put reverb on the chord stabs. Turn the lead synth down.

In the middle after the chorus part, find a different bass lead/pad sound because that sound is just bad. Replace it with a filtered electric piano/string layer patch with the cutoff filter around 300 hz, compress the hell out of it, then put delay and a long reverb on it, about 25-30 percent wet to dry. Layer that basic sound with a transposed copy of the same sequence up a few octaves on a glockenspiel and put reverb on it on a new channel. Automate the filter on the other channel to taste.

Turn the lead synth on the second part waaay down (4-5 dB) and put delay/reverb on it.

Put delays on the arpeggios. If you want to get crazy inject parts into an aux send that contains various effects such as delay and reverb at different points in the mix.

The drum sequence needs more work. Make 8 bar chunks copied and pasted with slight variations each time, and don't forget to use cymbals here and there and put fills after the phrases you want to stand out. Even some whistles or cowbells or stupid crap like that here and there can sometimes push things into full cheese mode like the context this track tries to be. Also put a better breakdown with a slight chord change and a massive build up to the original chord, have it go smack dab full on into the last chorus and then put that end sequence before somewhere where it could be more useful, like cut the second chorus in half and put it there because it's super long. If you want a long chorus in the song, you could put it at the end so it's easier to beatmatch or edit for DJs and radio.

I second getting a female vocalist on it. :P
Wow, nice insightful stuff over here. I'll try out everything you said man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarien View Post
I don't know man, yeah it's a bit loud on certain things like the leads. But this is a pop classic. This is one of the best song I've heard in a long time, and it totally reminds me of some lady gaga **** and I'd listen to this.

I NEVER listen to music, and I listened to this song about 4 times already. This is the kind of song I want to make.

No homo, but I totally want to collab with you, even though I suck big time.

Twilite's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Wow this one got me. I'm glad you like it that much! It would be way better with good vocals IMO. As far as the collab, I'm all game, but never did anything like that before lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
its not good and as for hit MATERRIAL no
Well, I think it's good and IT IS hit material, so there. You're just jealous. lol Just joking, but anyway if you don't like that's okay too. thumbsup

As far as mixing, all I'm using is a pair of AKG headphones. The bass response is good, but they kill the high frequencies... That's why I overcompensate for certain parts I guess. (Need's to buy good monitors) lol
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I've never done collab **** either. But I feel like your track is exactly what I try to accomplish. I personally liked the clap, but not the kick. the toms were cool and reminded me of Starstruck.

I don't know man, produced what you like, that's what matters the most. I'd listen to what they say from a technical stand point as far as levels,fx,etc. But if you like the arrangement, sounds,etc. Then keep going. You'll never make anything good, if you don't make **** you like. And if you love it, chances are other people will too.

So what/ was the inspiration for the track, sounds like something 80s to me.

Idk about bass, I use laptop speakers because I don't have monitors either. But that's really the least of my worries, I need to learn arrangement, melodies,sound selection,sound design,etc first.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Idk about bass, I use laptop speakers because I don't have monitors either. But that's really the least of my worries, I need to learn arrangement, melodies,sound selection,sound design,etc first.

Sorry man but you'll never learn how to mix well if you can't hear what your doing. Thats a fact.

Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks.

Well, I think it's good and IT IS hit material, so there. You're just jealous. lol Just joking, but anyway if you don't like that's okay too. thumbsup

As far as mixing, all I'm using is a pair of AKG headphones. The bass response is good, but they kill the high frequencies... That's why I overcompensate for certain parts I guess. (Need's to buy good monitors) lol
My opinion I believe is honest and remember you did ask for opinions. If you listened to some of the so called well known house, club, trance producers and compare your clip you will understand where I'm coming from. To keep a listener interested the material needs variations in movement also fx. I work on audio material all the time. Some of my work people think is good and I quite ofter disagree. one thing if I may suggest to you is forget about mixing on headphones. Remember sometimes honest criticism can be a bonus. Good luck!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Sorry man but you'll never learn how to mix well if you can't hear what your doing. Thats a fact.

Oh I know that. I need monitors, but what I'm saying is, I still suck enough that monitors aren't going to make my songs that much better. I'm sure it will help a lot. I want some Adam-7s, but like I just don't see the point in spending a grand on monitors, when I'm not really going to be making any money.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
My opinion I believe is honest and remember you did ask for opinions. If you listened to some of the so called well known house, club, trance producers and compare your clip you will understand where I'm coming from. To keep a listener interested the material needs variations in movement also fx. I work on audio material all the time. Some of my work people think is good and I quite ofter disagree. one thing if I may suggest to you is forget about mixing on headphones. Remember sometimes honest criticism can be a bonus. Good luck!
Thanks. I respect your opinion man, it's not that, and to be fair the goal was not a house, club, track. It was meant to be a pop song. That means repetition was the main goal. I didn't want to add changes every 4 bars you know?

If you listen to the 'top 40 pop' song instrumentals you'd see that they don't have that much variation either. Because 9 times out of 10, the lyrics provide the variation that keep the listener interested, as opposed to something like trance, which doesn't have little to no vocals on the track, and it relies on the beat to keep the listener interested.

I'd like to mix on monitors, but at the moment there's no way I can afford a pair to be honest. I guess I'll have to settle with headphones for the time being.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks. I respect your opinion man, it's not that, and to be fair the goal was not a house, club, track. It was meant to be a pop song. That means repetition was the main goal. I didn't want to add changes every 4 bars you know?

If you listen to the 'top 40 pop' song instrumentals you'd see that they don't have that much variation either. Because 9 times out of 10, the lyrics provide the variation that keep the listener interested, as opposed to something like trance, which doesn't have little to no vocals on the track, and it relies on the beat to keep the listener interested.

I'd like to mix on monitors, but at the moment there's no way I can afford a pair to be honest. I guess I'll have to settle with headphones for the time being.
I used the house, club, trance as an example and i take on board what you are saying. At the moment I am working on a hip hop track for someone. It is not something I like to produce. However even with this type of sound without the lyrics there is an element of movement. When I listened to your clip there seemed to be the same type of sound throughout the clip. Just something perhaps you may consider is adding some different ideas regarding variations of sounds which will I'm sure help. One more thing to think about is to launch a my space page and put your clips up and see what reaction you get. Hopefully good reactions! When I first started in this industry I was of the opinions I was going to take the world by storm and that I am still waiting to happen! This industry is a vast arena and people will always support the strongest gladiator!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I used the house, club, trance as an example and i take on board what you are saying. At the moment I am working on a hip hop track for someone. It is not something I like to produce. However even with this type of sound without the lyrics there is an element of movement. When I listened to your clip there seemed to be the same type of sound throughout the clip. Just something perhaps you may consider is adding some different ideas regarding variations of sounds which will I'm sure help. One more thing to think about is to launch a my space page and put your clips up and see what reaction you get. Hopefully good reactions! When I first started in this industry I was of the opinions I was going to take the world by storm and that I am still waiting to happen! This industry is a vast arena and people will always support the strongest gladiator!
Fair enough. I actually have a youtube account where I posted some of my stuff. The reaction was good.

I know this needs work, I'm not saying it's a perfect track. There will always be room for improvement.

Thank-you for your opinion!
Old 21st December 2010
You might consider djanthonyw's offer to mix it if its with in your budget, he has a good sound from what I've heard. Just to see what can be done with it, I'm sure it will be an eye opener for you.

Other wise put up the stems and some of the rest of us with spare time might have a go just as an exercise. If you do I recommend you include the midi for the drum parts.

BTW what daw are you using?

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac
Damn the song is gone, i wanted to listen to it again.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Damn the song is gone, i wanted to listen to it again.
I'm gonna remake it. heh
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
You might consider djanthonyw's offer to mix it if its with in your budget, he has a good sound from what I've heard. Just to see what can be done with it, I'm sure it will be an eye opener for you.

Other wise put up the stems and some of the rest of us with spare time might have a go just as an exercise. If you do I recommend you include the midi for the drum parts.

BTW what daw are you using?

+1 Always is interesting to mix new things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search