The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
(French)Filter House shuffle tips... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
(French)Filter House shuffle tips...

Hi...

Reading the archives this doesn't seem to be a very popular subject but I've been really wondering how you get that shuffle feel to this style of music. I'm thinking about late 90'-early 00's stuff and not just Daft Punk but things like The Buffalo Bunch...Daniel Bell's early project DBX.

I have a 909 and a 707 but maybe it where I'm placing the accents or the Hi Hat patterns both seem to be essential components to that feel.

Any advise from the experts?

Thanks.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

An SP1200 and a compressor with extreme settings and the sidechain fed by the kick are the essential components of that sound.

For shorter open hihats on the 909 try doubling the speed and chaining patterns. But this really is sample based music, and the SP's shuffle is part of the sound.
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
I'm a bit confused as to why you brought up DBX, since his early stuff was more like '93-'94 and it's not even remotely close to what you seem to be asking about.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

SP shuffle with or without double tempo...basically it.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
yeah... I don't really know what you're asking here... filters? or drums? DBX? All over the place but still it could be a good thread.

the key to the old DBX/early chicago ghetto sound is 909 kick/snare (roll snare(4,8,12,16), not the typical snare beats(5,13)) with Casio RZ-1 clap/open hi-hats. of course some closed 909 hats as well(maybe some ride too).. that's where the magic is.. .getting the hats to all play off each other.

707's are not good for any dance music made in the 90's IMO... except maybe some industrial/house/Wax Trax'ish stuff... but that's still more late 80's acid house stuff...
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
my fav Dan Bell track... and basically what I described above...

[YOUTUBE]_EHf1NNbaW4[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: weird... I quoted you to compare... and it's EXACTLY the same... but yours works and mine doesn't...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post

EDIT: crap..can't embedded,,, I'm a newb... I followed the instructions... I swear... wtf!!!

Fixed!hehthumbsup
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Shoot...I meant I felt that DBX influenced some of that music...not that he was a part of that scene.

The original question was about drum patterns and the feel of them...not necessarily the sound of music...especially in the Hi Hats. I'm looking to try and do this with hardware.

Also I'm not thinking too much about newer Ed Banger tracks...more like the French stuff from the late 90's-early 00's
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
Well yeah... Chicago is the main influence of all that stuff. Hence Daft Punk's track "Teachers".

You're looking more into that Alan Braxe/Bob Sinclair sound. Totally SP1200.
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:

[YOUTUBE]_EHf1NNbaW4[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: weird... I quoted you to compare... and it's EXACTLY the same... but yours works and mine doesn't...
one of my favorite DBX tracks too... and with footage of The New Dance Show i think? if so, even better. i also like Losing Control but it got played out so much...
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Well yeah... Chicago is the main influence of all that stuff. Hence Daft Punk's track "Teachers".

You're looking more into that Alan Braxe/Bob Sinclair sound. Totally SP1200.
i think it's just kinda a mix of early 80's "boogie" sound and Chicago House. personally i don't like all that filter vocal stuff, and i like vocoder but more so in Italo.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru
Yeah.. New Dance Show..

Losing control was before my time really (born in 81)... I'll take Rubber Ducky over that any day,..
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
Shoot...I meant I felt that DBX influenced some of that music...not that he was a part of that scene.

The original question was about drum patterns and the feel of them...especially in the Hi Hats. I'm looking to try and do this with hardware...I just use logic to record and edit.

Also I'm not thinking too much about newer Ed Banger tracks...more like the French stuff from the late 90's-early 00's
i think as far as hats go, just keep it really simple with short open hat decays. that Daft Punk track, (Da Funk maybe it's called? i forget), has no hats at all. as far as i remember it's just kick, snare heavily compressed (sounds like could be SP12), a Moog, and a sample or two.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
...getting back to the feel of the tracks. Where are the accents on the drum machines?

I'm using the 909 with a Boss HC-2 as the clap. What level do I set the 909's shuffle to make those Hats grove with the side chain, triggered by the kick?

There is lots of talk about the sounds of these tracks...I'd like to develope my own sound so maybe not use the SP-1200.
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss View Post
...getting back to the feel of the tracks. Where are the accents on the drum machines?

I'm using the 909 with a Boss HC-2 as the clap. What level do I set the 909's shuffle to make those Hats grove with the side chain, triggered by the kick?

There is lots of talk about the sounds of these tracks...I'd like to develope my own sound so maybe not use the SP-1200.
maybe i'm not sure what you mean by shuffle, but i don't hear any swing in those early Daft Punk tracks, Thomas Bangalter tracks, or really any of the stuff that was put on Versatile.

this is an example of swing:

i don't think that's what you're going for.

i would say just listen to as much as you can and experiment until you get what you're looking for.

Last edited by Deleted be0c6fb; 20th December 2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: embedding youtube link
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I sold my 909 and bought an SP12 Turbo. That's one instrument where all the hype is true. It makes stuff sound better and feel better. Sample some sounds, program a groove and it all sounds right. It has its very own organic shuffle and still mixes very well with the rest of the playback.

The 909 feels great playing internally clocked on its own, but it's not the French House sound.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Again this is about the drum feel and not so much about the sound.

Do you think it's possible to do something similar with a newer sampler like the MPC 1000(with one of those non Akai OS's)?

I mean it doesn't have to be perfect...more of an update.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks again for everyones help! I wound up finding a good priced SP-1200!
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
I sold my 909 and bought an SP12 Turbo. That's one instrument where all the hype is true. It makes stuff sound better and feel better. Sample some sounds, program a groove and it all sounds right. It has its very own organic shuffle and still mixes very well with the rest of the playback.

The 909 feels great playing internally clocked on its own, but it's not the French House sound.
What is so special about its sound ? Can you elaborate ?

Does it really make your sound sampled through the sp fatter ? Because I know it is 12 bits and might be thus degrading the quality of the signal.

Thanks for sharing your experience

regards

Sergio
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
What is so special about its sound ? Can you elaborate ?

Does it really make your sound sampled through the sp fatter ? Because I know it is 12 bits and might be thus degrading the quality of the signal.

Thanks for sharing your experience

regards

Sergio
Sure, it is degrading the signal quality, but in a good way. The SP-12/1200 are all over hip hop and house productions of the last two decades because of their sound.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone have any tips or tricks for the SP-1200?

I should have it on Wednesday.Since it was an eBay auction...anything I should check out when I first get it to make sure its working properly?
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

The obvious trick is to play back whatever you're sampling at a higher pitch, and then pitch it down on the SP to get those glorious artifacts. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search